Author Topic: The best graphics card?  (Read 7561 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: The best graphics card?
i need to some how sell my duo core with thermal paste, but never used. and try get some money for that quad core then.
If I were you, I'd keep that duo and look at quads again next year. Especially since Nehalem is coming and Intel will probably at some point next year stop releasing new Core 2 models. Meaning you could possibly get the latest and fastest core 2 quad that Intel will ever release when you upgrade from your duo.

At the moment you won't see significant improvement in upgrading to quad-core unless the quad-core has higher clocks than your duo.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
at weatherop: you probably trying to say that their is no point upgrading, well unless you have a now very obselete AGP board, i think that would discourage otherwise.

at fury: i assume your talking about the front side bus speeds? well this 3ghz duo runs at 1333 i have seen higher speeds, much higher. however the average gamer runs at 1333 i would assume which means i am on a level playing field with everyone despite the extra processing baggage. yes the prices go down over time, which is a good reason for doing a temporary solution for maby 6 moths before swich to another system, by then hopefully it will be january or feburary and this new cards will be old news selling for better prices.

LGA1366 is new boards needed to run this processor, 1x or 2x quickpath replaces fsb entirely, which means anyone who wants a new nahalem processor needs a new main board also. and new octi-cores 8 cores in a processor!.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:15:44 am by Al Tarket »
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No I am not talking about FSB speeds, both duos and quads run at same FSB speeds. I was talking about core clock. If your duo runs at 3GHz, it is more than enough to run games into the foreseeable future. Most quads run at slower core clock than duos. A quad running at 2.5GHz will usually be slower in games than a duo running at 3GHz. So for a quad to be sensible upgrade, you need to upgrade to a 3GHz quad or faster. And those high end models cost a lot. Even if you are an overclocker, duos overlock better.

Offline Al Tarket

ok higher quad speeds. it seems their might be no need for this now, when this new processor comes out im going to need a new system anyway. wel will see.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

If your on a budget, and you want quad core, my suggestion is to wait when quad core isn't still a relitively new technology. With that in mind, if your computer is super slow and you need an upgrade now, AMD Athlon 64 X2's are cheap, and will run just about any game today and still have some power in reserve.

If you want to spend thousands now, so that you don't need to upgrade for 5 years then go ahead, buy a quad core processor, make sure you do your own research though in finding the best processor, look at benchmark reviews on specific processors and pick one that works the best. But don't just go by benchmark reviews, also check to see if they have any major flaws. Intel's first dual core processors had problems and intel didn't seem to care, they put it on the market anyways ahead of schedule.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:41:09 am by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Al Tarket

can anyone suggest a site that do top end cards at low prices?

many sites produce the same results in some cases i have seen some 2900xt on the site for 1000 dollars, and i am not joking either the same with some 8500gt and 7600gts... :lol:.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Well I don't know about Israel, but NCIX.com is good in Canada, and NewEgg.com is even better (US only). If you can get an American relative to send you one, or ask Sandwich, he is in Israel (Jerusalem I believe) and ordered some parts a while ago.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Al Tarket

if i have this currency thing figured out, if you live in the united kingdom you got real bargin prices for highest end graphics cards. the cheapest you will find a 280 their is 350 Canadian dollars and translated thats 176 pounds and the shipping costs are about 5 pounds and you typically look around in shops in the united kingdom and the 280 is anywhere between 210 to 350 pound. problem though they at ncix dont ship internationally.

and i have already seen newegg with nothing really special happening their.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Well NCIX is basically a Canadian manufacturer, although there are many Israelis and Lebanese with dual-citizenship (as evidenced by last year) So I thought that you may have been able to get a friend/relative mail you one.

Offline Al Tarket

i dont have any resources within Canada or united states, but i do within Europe. but thats the otherside of the of the sea from the eastern seaboard.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
i dont have any resources within Canada or united states, but i do within Europe. but thats the otherside of the of the sea from the eastern seaboard.

NCIX doesn't ship internationally?

I'd avoid them like the plague anyway... their customer service is abysmal.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Try NovaTech.co.uk or Misco.co.uk if you have relatives in the UK, they are the only ones I know about in Europe. Also, as I have said, PM Sandwich, he lives in Jerusalem and may be able to help you out.

Offline Al Tarket

novatech has ok prices, more like the same as every other, however they have an own brand which means its far more cheaper, and should be generally more reliable. hopefully as reliable as the 9500 radeon was. as for misco they have some cheap prices, but no enough to interest me.

overclockers has a few cheap discounts of good cards however its not enough to give it any serious though due to the fact you buy from their and their is a hidden vat charge of 20 pounds.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You should really ask Sandwich, he could probably save you some money.