Author Topic: A new AI: Need (human) game tactics.  (Read 12850 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: A new AI: Need (human) game tactics.
Well that would need major changes in weapons.tbl, not in the AI.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There's no way to make turrets defend your bomber (instead of shooting at your target) by editing the weapons.tbl.

Offline Topgun

ai should use glide.

Offline Solatar

Agreed. I've enabled glide on fighters in FS2, and the ability to "kill your engines" is a very nice feature. I just feel like I'm cheating when I'm the only one doing it.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well the AI could use some better evasive maneuvers...  srsly when was the last time flying in odd shaped circles (ovals?) ever threw off a Trebuchet, and shield management needs some work. Maybe some better self-preservation skills... even though V thinks its better that Alpha 2 gets his/her ass kicked when they're doing a runner to a capship you've ordered them to protect, I, and a lot of people don't think it's cool at all. Would YOU let your ass get kicked like that, at least tell them to use their afterburners. When the AI attack capships (bombers in particular), tell them to attack the turret attacking them before engaging the subsystem you've told them to take down, what's better, losing your wingmen or waiting a few more seconds until the turret goes down. In fact attacking turrets is quite a big thing. If you've C-3-9'd and you've got a whole lot Perseus fighters with you (cough, ENIF STATION! cough) and there's a Deimos present, rather than trying to Rambo the bloody paperweight, have the AI rambo it as their default response, but as soon as a turret begins to attack them, take out the turret, then proceed to rambo-ing what's left of the Deimos (exception being bombers and transports). Also try and make the AI better at attacking moving subsystems/turrets, I have no idea how to go about this one, but maybe a Sath forwards beam specific thing (I have no idea wether this is possible either), but tell the AI to attack from the front when attacking the Sath forward beams, if it's something that IS possible, but other than that, the AI get the job done

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd like AI that equalizes shields when not in combat and (possibly) diverts shields to where it is taking the most damage.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

* The AI cannot hit other AI ships. Friendly fire is only enabled for the player.

I'm at odds here...Don't know if I should call this a good thing or a bad thing..lol

What would be a good tactic to destroy / guard a long-way-to-go remote target and not get destroyed by followers while heading to it?

All energy to engines/shields, constant use of afterburnes + limited evasive manouvres ( keep heading in the same general direction)

They WOULD be useful if they fired faster and shot at whoever was trying to kill you, not who you have targeted.

Whle better weapons in bomber turrets is a great idea, it doesn't fall under AI category. But yes, the abiltiy to set turrets to defensive mode and let them shoot at whoever is attacking you would make AI bombers better (your your own too).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:03:57 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Whle better weapons in bomber turrets is a great idea, it doesn't fall under AI category. But yes, the abiltiy to set turrets to defensive mode and let them shoot at whoever is attacking you would make AI bombers better (your your own too).
No, I didn't mean better weapons. I meant that they SHOOT AT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SHOOTING AT YOU not the capital ship you have targetted. How does that count as weapons? :wtf:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
No, I didn't mean better weapons. I meant that they SHOOT AT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SHOOTING AT YOU not the capital ship you have targetted. How does that count as weapons? :wtf:

Isn't that what turrets are supposed to do: shoot attackers, not warships? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's what they're supposed to do. But in reality, bomber turrets only fire at whoever you have targetted, not who's attacking you.

So, in a situation when an enemy fighter is behind you ripping you to pieces while you're desperately trying to get aspect lock on that enemy Sathanas, your turret will shoot at the Sathanas (your target), not the fighter that's attacking you.

Thus, to actually make your turret do something useful, you have to target the enemy fighter (loosing the chance to get aspect lock on the Sathanas), which is pointless because if you're going to do that you may as well engage him yourself.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That's what they're supposed to do. But in reality, bomber turrets only fire at whoever you have targetted, not who's attacking you.

So, in a situation when an enemy fighter is behind you ripping you to pieces while you're desperately trying to get aspect lock on that enemy Sathanas, your turret will shoot at the Sathanas (your target), not the fighter that's attacking you.

Thus, to actually make your turret do something useful, you have to target the enemy fighter (loosing the chance to get aspect lock on the Sathanas), which is pointless because if you're going to do that you may as well engage him yourself.

:yes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,54465.0.html

Objecttypes.tbl option:
 ---- after $Warp Pushable: ----
   $Turrets prioritize ship target:
      - forces ship turrets to prioritize ships targets (boolean)
      - set to 'true' on fighters and bombers by default - setting it to 'false' for them allows their turrets to target more freely

And no that is not in trunk builds.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SWEET! Why isn't anyone testing this? Heresy! Heresy!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Is that in 3.6.9?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Topgun

it would seem so.
EDIT: no never mind, it's not.
EDIT2: why isn't it in trunk? I WANT THIS IN MY #>^!)!!!!!!
note: I use the #>^!) builds
EDIT THE THIRD: apparently this is based on 3.69 AKA #>^(
EDIT GOES FOURTH: made "based" italicized to show emphases.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:24:52 pm by Topgun »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
EDIT2: why isn't it in trunk? I WANT THIS IN MY #>^!)!!!!!!

Cause no bugger was willing to test it properly when Wanderer first came up with it and thus it sat around on his HD until the code freeze started and now it can't be included.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Topgun

EDIT: Why didn't he put in trunk in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:46:20 pm by Topgun »

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
What is a code freze anyway?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Topgun

they can't add new features during a code freeze.

Offline Solatar

It's designed as a phase of the coding where they focus solely on bugs. It's hard to bugfix when new features are introducing new bugs at the same time.