Author Topic: Caprica Pilot Advance Viewing on DVD in April  (Read 6992 times)

Caprica Pilot Advance Viewing on DVD in April
Another article courtesy of io9 (great site, I would actually love to see a column about this mod on their site) reports that the pilot for Caprica will be available on DVD in April, which is a huge advance in the screening as the series is not set to start airing until 2010.  Should be interesting to see how well this pilot sets the stage for this (what I suspect) will be more of a character driven drama with even less sci-fi influence than BSG.  Looking forward to it all the same.

Full Article: http://io9.com/5147547/caprica-comes-to-dvd-early-allowing-you-to-influence-cylon-evolution

Re: Caprica Pilot Advance Viewing on DVD in April
Very cool. I'm anxiously looking forward to Caprica, and praying that it doesn't disappoint. But with Reimer, Moore, and Eick, I feel safe in getting my hopes up.

Offline Narvi

Even less sci-fi influence than BSG?

Spoiler:
Less for a show which is supposed to be about building sentient robots?

Does not computer.

I think they mean "no spaceships."

Precisely, David...  At least not until later on in the series ( No clue how many seasons they've been slated for) when the Cylon War begins to break out.

Suffice it to say though, the latest revelations in BSG are going to make things interesting.

Offline Narvi

No spaceships on the Twelve Colonies?

Which incidentally, are on twelve different worlds?

They've got to have them like airplanes at the very least.

Being much too literal, Narvi.

Basically it won't 'feel' like a science fiction show.  It will probably be centered around drama, even moreso than BSG, given the setting.

Certainly there will be scenes of space travel, but most likely as segways into other scenes, it won't so much be the setting of space battles and what have you that people associate with sci-fi.

Sure. But you'll see an airplane on your average cop or hospital show, what, once a year, tops? You certainly won't spend every episode on one, shooting down bad guys in an action-adventure idiom.

Offline Narvi

Sure. But you'll see an airplane on your average cop or hospital show, what, once a year, tops? You certainly won't spend every episode on one, shooting down bad guys in an action-adventure idiom.

Oh, true. It just irritates me when people assume that "sci-fi influences = space battles". Gee, the implications of artificial sentience on human culture has no sci-fi roots at all!

This is what sci-fi is about.

Anyway, Cylons are going to be war-machines. A major part of war in BSG is in space. We're going to have space-stations and in-space development too, hopefully. I hope they don't overdo the contemporary angle; it wouldn't be very interesting if it was basically just an American city WITH ROBOTS.

I am curious of the aesthetic they are going to go for? what kind of art design, set design, architecture, etc.

Well, there are some promotional photos floating around the net.  Kind of look retro 50's with I'm sure a futuristic take.  I imagine some of the set pieces will remind folks (I'm thinking the interior of the Courthouse Joseph Adama works at most prominently) will be a throwback to the Tyrell Corporation Headquarters Bladerunner).

Actually, here's the trailer for your viewing pleasure: http://www.sidereel.com/Caprica

Looks like a series with lots of promise.  I do hope they continue the series into the Cylon war, although I suppose that could be the time to launch into a new series.

Fixing a fail
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:34:51 pm by On_Your_Six »

It is pretty Noir and 1940s-50s, which makes sense. The Viper Mark IIs, with their analogue gauges and slide-open canopies, always had a bit of a World War II vibe as far as I was concerned.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
It is pretty Noir and 1940s-50s, which makes sense. The Viper Mark IIs, with their analogue gauges and slide-open canopies, always had a bit of a World War II vibe as far as I was concerned.
Definitely...I'd actually say more of a 50s vibe.  They look like something inspired by the beginnings of the jet age.  The comment is still appropriate because the two are quite similar in style.  More radical jumps in the 60s and then there is the modern era of aviation.  The Mark VIIIs are definitely more inspired by modern jet fighters like the Sukhoi's and the F-22/F-35.  Its kind of like an a F-100 Super Sabre flying next to a F-22 or a Mig-17 flying next to a Su-35.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Depending on how they play it in Caprica, the MKII might be very retrograde compared to the level of Colonial tech prior to the outbreak of war.  When the Cylons rebel against their masters basically the entire Colonial military and industry conceivably gets turned against humanity.  Fighting an enemy based on AI the Colonials had to look backward for their salvation and pretty much start from scratch again to build a military machine capable of defending them against their own creations.

So while its is very possible Caprica will have a sorta retro 50's vibe it's also possible that they were very technologically advanced at the outbreak of the 1st Cylon War and what we seen in BSG is the result of them having to start over again.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

From what I understand, Caprica doesn't just take place before the war; it takes place before the Cylons were even created. Therefore, if we even see any of the Colonial military (which I don't think will play a prominent role in this series), it very well could be mostly human with old-school Vipers, or something even before the Viper. But, again, I don't think the military is going to play a role other than as the potential client interested in artificial intelligence as a weapon.

From what I understand, Caprica doesn't just take place before the war; it takes place before the Cylons were even created.

Ah see, this is where it gets interesting.  Considering the revelations in the last couple of episodes of BSG, this isn't necessarily an easy assumption to make.

Beyond that, there are quite a few allusions made to various conflicts that occurred in the 12 Colonies even before the Cylon war, particularly one concerning the Geminese (fanatical devotees to the scriptures).  I almost wonder if the creation of the prototype A.I. might be something that could start another of those conflicts.

There's a lot of interesting places this can go.

What we do know about the Colonial military is that the Battlestar classes were developed as a result of the Cylon war, so I don't think we'll be seeing those.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!

Oh, true. It just irritates me when people assume that "sci-fi influences = space battles". Gee, the implications of artificial sentience on human culture has no sci-fi roots at all!

Anyway, Cylons are going to be war-machines. A major part of war in BSG is in space. We're going to have space-stations and in-space development too, hopefully. I hope they don't overdo the contemporary angle; it wouldn't be very interesting if it was basically just an American city WITH ROBOTS.

Wouldnt want the show to turn into something like that film: AI by Steven Speilberg
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

From what I understand, Caprica doesn't just take place before the war; it takes place before the Cylons were even created.

Ah see, this is where it gets interesting.  Considering the revelations in the last couple of episodes of BSG, this isn't necessarily an easy assumption to make.

Beyond that, there are quite a few allusions made to various conflicts that occurred in the 12 Colonies even before the Cylon war, particularly one concerning the Geminese (fanatical devotees to the scriptures).  I almost wonder if the creation of the prototype A.I. might be something that could start another of those conflicts.

There's a lot of interesting places this can go.

What we do know about the Colonial military is that the Battlestar classes were developed as a result of the Cylon war, so I don't think we'll be seeing those.

Don't forget the Sagittarons.  Remember, Sagittaron was exploited by the other colonies for a while.  While Zarek's actions take place somewhat prior to BSG, I think there would be some exploitation/resistance during Caprica.  Perhaps Tom Zarek Sr. could be included in Caprica somehow.  Possibly he took a much more mellow approach to Sagittaron's exploitation and his son didn't like the results.  Who knows?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Narvi

Wouldnt want the show to turn into something like that film: AI by Steven Speilberg

Er, yes, yes we would.

It's part of the basic premise.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
But with none of that pussy 'One last day with mommy' stuff in it.

Personally, I want spaceships, and big explosions, and toasters having their warranties invalidated with a 50 calibre machine gun, but maybe that's just me ;) Maybe I'm just too old school ;)