Author Topic: Your First (Non-Console) Gaming Experience  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Your First (Non-Console) Gaming Experience
Inspired from certain reminiscing taking place in the FS 20th Anniversary thread, it is time to show off just how old or young you are and share with us what your first non-console gaming experience was.  Non-Console refers to anything exclusively or primarily intended for gaming.  If it includes a full-sized keyboard, it is likely not a console.  I decline from using the term "PC-Based" to refer to "Non-Console" systems, as there are gaming and computer systems that predate the PC.

My first system was the Commodore Vic-20.  The Vic-20 was nearly a console in that there was a port on the back where gaming cartridges could be inserted.  It also had a tape deck where games or software could be loaded, and although we never had one, it could be fitted with an 8-inch floppy drive.  Also, like a console, you could connect it to a television.  In fact, for most of its life at my home, we used on old B&W set.

We (my friends and family) fried our first one (which cost $300 initially, accessories & all) because we took the gaming cartridges out without turning the thing off first.  However, my mother bought a replacement soon after, used... for $20 and some additional games.

A few years later, the Vic-20 was joined by a Commodore 128, though that was for my older brother when he went away to university, so it wasn't always at home.

We didn't get our first PC until the early 90's.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Your First (Non-Console) Gaming Experience
The first pc my family owned was a 386 bought in oktober 1992, with a stunning 2mb internal ram, a massive 40mb harddrive, a powerful 1mb s-vga graphics chip which displayed its graphics on a black and white monitor. Costing 2049 gulden, which would be 1475 euro in the present day, accounting for inflation. (I somehow still have the original receipt of this thing)
The first game we ever played on it was the original Prince of Persia, who initially refused to stop bumping into the wall to the left, because of the crappy joystick we had plugged in.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
My first gaming experience should be from 1998. Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart 64 at a friends place.

Well, that was also the day i began to hate the N64 controller  :D Until today it is by far still the worst controller i had to play with IMO.

In 1999 i get my own PC in the age of 11, not only for gaming but also for the internet. Even my parents were generous back then, because it was already a Pentium II with 333 MHz and a Voodoo 2 in it. Even i think that my dad was some kind of interesting in games back then... even he did not played very much in the end.

Need for Speed: High Stakes was the first real game for it i have, because it was part of the bundle. I played it very much next to Pinball: Space Cadet which was also part of Windows 98 back then.
Freespace 2 was the first game i bought myself. Actually i never know why i came to this game in the first place. :confused: Maybe because we also had a Joystick due of NFS.
It is very funny in today's perspective that i actually played a racing game with a joystick instead of a gamepad.  :lol:

Because FS2 affected my life so much in the following years (it is the reason behind my nickname and was also the inspiration to become a game-designer) i am still thinking about what my life would look like if i had bought another game ^^.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:32:10 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Apple IIE

MathBlaster

Marble Madness

The Black Cauldron

Tetris
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
A bunch of shareware games pre-installed on my first PC: Biomenace, Alien Carnage, Commander Keen in "Goodbye Galaxy", a flipper and an Arkanoid clone.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I think it was The Settlers 1  :D

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Star Raiders on my Atari 800 around 1982.  I had several other cartridge based games, like Defender, Asteroids, etc.  My first disk-based game on the same computer was Microprose's F-15 Strike Eagle.  I even had Eastern Front (1941), a turn-based strategy game on cassette.  It took about 20 minutes to load if I recall correctly, and there was no way to save a game in progress.  I think I played through only once, and got stomped.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Supaplex

Supaplex Master Fan Page

R
Oh man, I remember that game.
It's also just as hard as I remember it being. Never finished that game as a kid.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mikes

Falcon AT, Wing Commander, Eye of the Beholder 2 and Xenon 2 Megablast were the first games I got with my trusty 286er, which was my first computer ever.

Good times. Lots of memories!

(Before that I was already playing very simple games on dads Atari console however. ;-) )
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:12:10 pm by Mikes »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
We had some unknown IBM machine at home when I was 5 or 6, though about all I remember from it was playing Wheel of Fortune or educational games like Reader Rabbit.  Then there were the fossilized Apple IIe's at my grade school (LOGO Writer 4 lyfe).  The first real PC gaming experience I had came courtesy of our Gateway 2000, circa 1996, with what I think was a 166-MHz Pentium and a staggering 16 MB of RAM.  I'd discovered Descent II at a neighbor's house, so that was one of my earliest purchases, and I played a ton of the excellent NASCAR Racing 2 as well.  The software package we got included a copy of Myst, which pretty much ate my world for a while.  I feel like I picked up FS1 within a year or so of its release, though I can't be sure.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Sopwith 2 on a 286  :pimp: followed by monkey island if I remember correctly.  (With console gaming in between to account for the time gap)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It must have been in 1993 or 1994 so I was 5-6'ish, so the memory is a bit fuzzy. We were visiting my father in Hamburg while he was staying at the Bundeswehr University for command officer training...

In his room he had a 386 set up for work purposes but and my older brother and I were allowed to play some games on it, while the adults were mixing; some DOS-based top down and sidescrolling shooters, the names of which I don't recall either.

The year after my dad (still not living with us because military family) brought home a 486 for his office and my brother borrowed the original X-Wing's Collector's Edition from one of his classmates.
Either of us was only ever allowed one hour of official "game time" on the weekends but considering my dad was only ever there on weekend and my mom works a full job (both then and now), that wasn't strictly enforced and my brother and I always seemed to get around that restriction or rather we made sure neither of us was caught (Then again, my younger brother, who was born in '97, never had similar restrictions, so maybe our parents knew and figured that as we had turned out okay'ish that was not neccessary).

I didn't get my own PC until 2001'ish, which was a 486 I 'rescused' from being junked by a neighbour family...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:26:21 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Probably Bolo for the Apple II
Even made a video about it a year or so ago:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:42:04 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Protip: only the video ID goes in the [yt] tags.

Protip: only the video ID goes in the [yt] tags.

Ok thanks. Still seems to work anyway.  I just find it easier to ctrl-a the whole link then to select just the letters and such.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It works because I edited it to work. :D

It works because I edited it to work. :D

Oh I thought it worked when I posted it. Thanks dude. Much obliged

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Either Mario Teaches Typing (released for MS-DOS in 1992), ZZT (1991), or Jill of the Jungle (1992); I don't actually remember which was first, but it was probably one of those three.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Our first PC was some pentium III rig, can't remember much more of it. My first ever game aside form the mandatory solitaire were the Fish Fillets. Still one of the best and hardest games I ever played.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::