Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 137639 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. So Taiwan did better than the West with less information than America had. Vietnam did better with the same information from the WHO and fewer resources. America on the other hand was one of the first countries to be affected by Swine Flu. So it's not like outbreaks are unknown there. Why weren't they better prepared?

Like I keep saying, the problem wasn't the lack of scientific information. It wasn't that the experts didn't consider the disease to be a danger. It was that the governments didn't want to do anything about it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Won't anyone think of the stock prices?!  What will become of the hedge fund managers, if a competent pandemic response leads to an economic downturn?!

Offline Luis Dias

Portugal has apparently closed the deal with europe to receive a relief package of 15 billion euros.

Meanwhile, Bezos had his stock fortune climb 13 billion euros at the same day.

Yep. So Taiwan did better than the West with less information than America had. Vietnam did better with the same information from the WHO and fewer resources. America on the other hand was one of the first countries to be affected by Swine Flu. So it's not like outbreaks are unknown there. Why weren't they better prepared?

Perhabs that might be part of the reason. While the Swine flu did provide practical experience, despite the giant hype it basically turned out to be "another" flu (not that flu itself wouldn't be bad), but that was rather a disaster with the more or less inaccurate warning; govs got tricked into spending billions for pharmaceuticals that they'd just end up throwing away. Also the WHO didn't even acted that dramatic this time (more like not at all), probably bc there was simply nobody having already products that they could sale en masse.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Or, you know.

The reason could be that Trump is an imbecile and a narcissistic sociopath and the Republicans are spineless fascist enablers.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Or, you know.

The reason could be that Trump is an imbecile and a narcissistic sociopath and the Republicans are spineless fascist enablers.

And all of us knew exactly this in 2016, which is why I will never forgive anyone who voted for Trump. They knew (or should have known) exactly what they were voting for.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

What are the odds that the country will actually need someone with crisis management skills at the helm?  I'm sure the celebrity landlord will be fine.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, I work at a small hotel in a place that sees a lot of tourists during summer, it's a family business and we basically live on the workplace at least since my grandfather.
In theory president of the region Sicily Musumeci has imposed a strict guideline to any tourist that comes from outside the region to register online so they can be tracked and hotels, hostels, B&Bs, etc. are supposed to enforce the thing by telling their guests to register if they haven't already.
It turns out that at least one hotel in Salina and one in Palermo don't give a flying **** about it and had to explain to a few guests that I didn't make the thing up on the spot (but then I shouldn't be surprised since there are a lot of places that don't ask for ID even though it's illegal not to register paying guests with the police).
The only time I was able to get out and actually buy groceries rather than ask someone else in the family I had an asshole with his facemask hanging from his neck basically coming to arm distance when there were room to stay about 10 meters apart on the street I was in, most people didn't wear a mask at all and a few seemed almost to actively try to counter my attempt to respect social distancing.
Even one of the few friends I have fell to the "masks are for sheep" bull****.

****ing hell, we are all gonna die are we?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So I guess this is what it looks like when a government is trying to falsify COVID data....

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Remember kids that it's the chinese that aren't giving us the real data

Offline Luis Dias

Hey this means Trump was right! The problem was us watching the data! That's fixed now!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
****ing wat

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

All the best people.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So I guess this is what it looks like when a government is trying to falsify COVID data....

Speaking of...

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
So, I work at a small hotel in a place that sees a lot of tourists during summer, it's a family business and we basically live on the workplace at least since my grandfather.
In theory president of the region Sicily Musumeci has imposed a strict guideline to any tourist that comes from outside the region to register online so they can be tracked and hotels, hostels, B&Bs, etc. are supposed to enforce the thing by telling their guests to register if they haven't already.
It turns out that at least one hotel in Salina and one in Palermo don't give a flying **** about it and had to explain to a few guests that I didn't make the thing up on the spot (but then I shouldn't be surprised since there are a lot of places that don't ask for ID even though it's illegal not to register paying guests with the police).
The only time I was able to get out and actually buy groceries rather than ask someone else in the family I had an asshole with his facemask hanging from his neck basically coming to arm distance when there were room to stay about 10 meters apart on the street I was in, most people didn't wear a mask at all and a few seemed almost to actively try to counter my attempt to respect social distancing.

That combines well (euphemism) with Andrea Bocelli's recent claims. He felt humiliated because, apparently, his mansion was not big enough to ensure high degrees of comfort during the toughest part of our lockdown: https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/28/covid-19-andrea-bocelli-felt-humiliated-and-offended-by-italy-s-lockdown

Seriously, it was a shame to see such an influential artist join the nomask-fascist-racist armada. People are making jokes about him not getting the chance to actually see what's been happening nationwide in the past few months (he's blind, you now). What's wrong with this guy? He's one of the best singers in the entire country.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Two more cases confirmed at work today.

And on the same day that some absolute tool in management decided that we should be doing our pre-shift startup meetngs again.

I hate the sensation of being constantly on the edge of a panic attack.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

That combines well (euphemism) with Andrea Bocelli's recent claims. He felt humiliated because, apparently, his mansion was not big enough to ensure high degrees of comfort during the toughest part of our lockdown: https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/28/covid-19-andrea-bocelli-felt-humiliated-and-offended-by-italy-s-lockdown

Seriously, it was a shame to see such an influential artist join the nomask-fascist-racist armada. People are making jokes about him not getting the chance to actually see what's been happening nationwide in the past few months (he's blind, you now). What's wrong with this guy? He's one of the best singers in the entire country.

Not completely surprised, he was always mildly conservative IIRC but then again so was I and ended up on the other side of the spectrum when the right went cuckoo so it's still disappointing.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In less-important-but-still-typical news, the entire MLB season could be scuttled because Florida Team were idiots.  Color me shocked.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I found out a few weeks ago that a coworker of mine is a Trump voter. I decided not to make a big deal out of it because 1) she's always been nice and friendly to me at work and 2) she's a human being who's entitled to her own politics and never brought up her own political views at work unprompted.

Then I found out just a couple of days ago that even though she complies with all of the covid restrictions at the supermarket (wearing a mask, social distancing, etc.), she thinks the whole epidemic is overblown and that "all the hype about the coronavirus will disappear after November." When I reminded her that 150,000 Americans were dead who didn't need to be, she just shrugged and said "people die every day."

The callousness of these anti-public safety jerkoffs is absolutely and positively mind-boggling. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now I refuse to speak with her unless I have to. :nono: :nono: :nono:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast