Author Topic: PBR and DDS file formats.  (Read 11607 times)

Re: PBR and DDS file formats.
Thank you, I can now resume my work. 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Talked with Swifty over Discord today about more advanced environment lighting. Might be a future project at least.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So I guess it's the same problem as pale black HTL Leviathan, but with dusts and painting it's not that noticable on Anteros.

I will make more testing with GGX lighting model, but still I guess I shall wait with updating my models until proper environment lighting is implemented. As majority of models used by community are non-PBR textured, differences are and will be quite noticable.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Off topic questions, but might as well keep it nice and tidy in one place. 
First how are player turrets handled now?  Do they still only lock onto whatever you've got targeted or have they gotten smarter?

Second how are fighter beam weapons handle now?  Can you treat them as basic fighter weapons or do they still need to be scripted?

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Off topic questions, but might as well keep it nice and tidy in one place. 
First how are player turrets handled now?  Do they still only lock onto whatever you've got targeted or have they gotten smarter?

Second how are fighter beam weapons handle now?  Can you treat them as basic fighter weapons or do they still need to be scripted?
Fighter beam weapons works perfectly fine from a long time. You may find a working examples in Tides of Darkness or Dawn of Sol. Also in Exile modpack [thus unused].
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Good to hear, last I remember hearing it required scripting or something of that nature.

Also have you ran into any problems with transparency?  I'm getting strange holes in the map.  It looks like a geometry issue, but isn't.  And I don't see anything wrong with the opacity map.  If I disable the diffuse map via render options, the issue goes away.  And if I remove the opacity settings it won't appear either.  So it seems to be coming from the texture map. 

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Make sure your texture has "-trans" addon in filename. Some time ago code of transparent textures was reworked, and now to tell the engine which texture is transparent, you must include "-trans" in filename. For example, default cockpit glass texture in old MediaVPs was just "glass", and now it's "glass-trans". Unlike -glow, -normal or other additional texture channels, filenames with "-trans" works as diffuse map itself so "glass-trans" does not require just "glass" to work. This may be confusing.

If I remember correctly, you used to include glass texture in your combined textures which contans various details [confed_details_1 and 2]. Now if you include any transparent element with non-transparent ones like you did before, this glass won't be displayed correctly. If you add "-trans" to filename of such texture, rest of elements is also likely to appear transparent ingame.

Ah good to know... what's weird was I was using just the alpha map for transparencies and it was mostly working, perhaps a left-over remnant of the old coding.

Next question!
Let's assume you're having a pulsating glowing texture.  You will need the animated diffuse texture and the animated glow/emissive texture correct?  Any gotcha's I need to worry about with APNG file formats?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
apng is not ideal for ship textures because the image data has to be sent to the graphics card uncompressed. An EFF with DDS frames is a better choice because DDS images can be sent to the GPU compressed and that saves memory. i.e. it's a performance thing

Sorry, I have no idea about your other questions :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

And it appears I can make the EFF files easier than the APNGs.  So there's that too.

Offline Axem

Yo PBR power users, there were recent changes to PBR in the engine (all thanks to uber power coder Swifty). It now uses the GGX lighting model, specular lighting is now properly gamma corrected, and less glossy things now blur the env map. So take a nightly for a spin and give feedback to how things look. Better? Worse? Some of these things do help non-PBR assets as well, so take a look at a lot of things!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Judge yourself :]

I finally found a moment to play with new builds. I guess it's about time to reconvert all of my PBR models to proper PBR color profiles. Thank you, guys! New builds are insanely good!

Which build do you use? There were several recent ones with bug reports and the warning "at least one of the builts has failed".

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The most recent one downloaded 10 minutes ago.