Author Topic: Starshatter Source Code Released  (Read 17128 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Starshatter Source Code Released
I can't find.it :/
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

You need to be registered at http://www.starshattermods.com to see the downloads. Then go to Downloads/Starshatter:The Gathering Storm/Official Files/SS:TGS Open Source Full Game.

Maybe this link will work:
http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=218
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm not sure if this has been rectified or not, but Boyd hasn't uploaded the full game, despite the description on the download. I believe the music directory has been appended to the download, but the campaign voice files (another 200-about megabytes) hasn't been included. If this proves bothersome, you'll need to make a suggestion over on their end.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
You need to be registered at http://www.starshattermods.com to see the downloads. Then go to Downloads/Starshatter:The Gathering Storm/Official Files/SS:TGS Open Source Full Game.

Maybe this link will work:
http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=218

You are here because an error occured.

ACCESS DENIED!
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Is there a question there?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You have to register, then log in, then the download will work (as long as you are a registered user that is logged in).

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I poked and searched around the Starshatter site for a bit, looking for an FAQ on how to get it set up, but I couldn't find anything.  Is there a setup guide somewhere so I know what to grab?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

I poked and searched around the Starshatter site for a bit, looking for an FAQ on how to get it set up, but I couldn't find anything.  Is there a setup guide somewhere so I know what to grab?

I put together a little guide HERE. Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I put together a little guide HERE. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you! Very cool to get to go back and play the finished product all these years after playing the demo.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

@everyone at HLP. Please, let's get Starshatter open in here. That game is one of the best space games ever made. It's not like Freespace open didn't start out the same way, did it and look at it now. We have mechcommander 2 open in here and that wasn't a space game to begin with. Starshatter is a space "simulator"  just as Freespace 2 open is, althought its focus is on carrier warfare. Thanks to the OP for this, these are indeed the best news of the day.

Go for it I say.
There will be lots more people here to mod FreeSpace, and some of us will mod Starshatter too.

There will also probably be a bunch of ships from SS in FS and from FS in SS, which will add resources to both games.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As lead developer for Starshatter Open, I approve of this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I certainly have no objections, though I do wonder what relations this may rattle (potentially) with the Starshatter Mods community...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Holy crap this thing is buggy. Random crashes and lockups, keys will suddenly stop accepting input, campaign will stop progressing, cursor can't reach buttons on the bottom of the screen (forgot to disable desktop composition), autopilot alerts me of nearby enemies at 30km or less, I can't seem to hit anything on the ground, email messages can't be stopped, it's just a mess.

BTW rscraper: I didn't need to dl the music or voice packages because they were included in the core files.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:20:00 am by Alan Bolte »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Dear God, Alan...

I know I had some awkward bugs at first, but I've never had the issues you're having...

With the buttons at the bottom, usually hitting the windows key and then going back to the game makes it stable enough to select those. Otherwise, hitting enter usually does the job of hitting the accept button.

I've never had the lock-ups, though I had some strange crashes make their way in during Operation Shining Fortress when playing as the... fifth fleet, I believe?

Next, the vox.dat file is NOT provided on the Starshatter Mods website. This adds much of the audio for the game, and is about 200MB is size. If you want this resource, you'll probably need to pester the chaps over on their side of the fence, unless we get something moving on our side.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Yeah, I haven't experienced anything like what your experiencing. I have heard that switching from keyboard and mouse inputs with the tilde key is buggy but I fly with a stick so I don't know anything about that. You shouldn't moan about this stuff in the wilderness though. Make a bug report thread in the SCP boards over at starshattermods or open an issue at Starshatter-Open.

I've uploaded a copy of my Starshatter files. For this you will need the Music and Voice files from the other site. My game has been pretty stable. But then again, when I tested the one for download at SSmods, that was stable too. Let me know if this is better and I can have this one put up instead.

Starshatter: TGS 5.0.5

Edit: I didn't realize vox.dat wasn't made available, yeah that should be fixed. The com chatter is a big part of the game.

Edit2: Be sure and set the compatibility to Windows XP SP2. I just played through a large part of the first campaign using the files provided at SSmods and it's as stable as what I've been experiencing with my copy. Which is pretty stable and I have the video to prove it.

Twenty Minute Battle - No Crashes, No Bugs (twenty minutes before I edited it to get it on youtube)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:22:03 pm by rscaper1070 »

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Keep in mind that, with the exception of the well-known windows 7 interface bug, the problems I've mentioned have each happened maybe once in perhaps 8-10 hours of play, and either haven't been repeatable or I haven't yet seen enough context to make a useful bug report.

Vox.dat is now available on the Install Guide.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As lead developer for Starshatter Open, I approve of this.

Speaking as an admin, I have no objection to this as long as the Starshatter community wouldn't mind it.

Speaking as an SCP programmer, the question has to be what can Starshatter do that FS2_Open can't do?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The easiest means of determining that is actually trying the software, in all respect, Kara.

I'd say that Starshatter lacks as in-depth a mission building environement as FreeSpace, but then again, that's because it's principally intended to be more of a dynamic combat simulation rather than a mission-based game. To counter the previous statement, the dynamic aspect of the program could be a lot better. Like FS, I believe it only runs on a single core at this time, so until the day comes about that multi-thread coding is implemented, it will suffer the same limits as FS in that regard.

Starshatter, with a good deal of work I'd assume, could effectively be transformed into a full Newtonian-flight combat sim. Right now, it's semi-newtonian at best, albeit better than FS. It posseses atmospheric flight functions for fighters, ship docking/landings, and native support for capitol ship command and control, as well as mission planning functions. Many people seem to think it is in fact an RTS; in that regard, note that Falcon 4.0 can be used as an RTS... Gameplay-wise, it's a very fascinating engine to consider working with.

Possibly of more immediate interest, Starshatter stores campaigns, mods, and missions in a compressed .dat format, and has a purpose-built mod building utility (starmod). Looking into this code may be of interest, as has been noted in other conversations, the uncompressed .mv file format has been of want for upgrade for a while now. Starshatter's .dat format might not be the best alternative, but it is at least now open source and can thus be reverse-engineered (if that proves to be a useful study).

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For me, the interesting things about Starshatter was the way in which it is utterly different from FSO on the inside. Starshatter is fully object-oriented, DirectX-based, which was something I wanted to take a look at.

As for other bits, I am primarily interested in the way Starshatter handles player-controlled capital ships and carriers, as well as the integration of space and atmospheric combat. And yeah, as Thaeris said, Starshatter is a good game by itself, but could be made even better when combined with a few aspects of FS2's mission-based approach. There are scripting facilities there, but compared to FRED they're pretty rudimentary.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns