Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now  (Read 23900 times)

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
Re: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now
Try out sandboxie to limit Origin's access on your harddrives. This way you prevent Origin from scaning your system and so no vital infos are sent to EA.

Google will help you find a good guide for it.

Offline ShivanSpS

Seems like that the shivans reapers got a hold of a some sreds

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
If those were Sreds, there'd be a hell lot more destruction than blown-up parks.  :rolleyes:

EDIT: They also wouldn't sound so goddamn wimpy when they fire.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Origin is just like Steam. The actual differences between the two, as far as the end user is concerned, are a different UI skin and ....

actually, no and.

EDIT: Strange, my copy of DAO:UE does not require Origin at all.

It appears to occupy a different and slightly larger space on my hard disk.

And despite having Steam as a template, failed so hard at providing core features at the start which it had no excuse for, because unlike Steam was, it wasn't experimental.

Anyways, my origin ID is RavenholmeCP42 if people want to add me for SpecOps fun at some point
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Mikes

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Says-Origin-Isn-t-Spyware-Although-It-Does-Scan-Your-Entire-PC-36690.html

Does EA screw you over with Origin? Frankly, no idea... but as I read it you still are kind of allowing them to screw you over if they ever want to. ;)

In any case... they still violate German Privacy Law (confirmed by several lawyers, also been in the news) and are currently being sued by our version of the BBB (Verbraucherzentrale): http://www.pcgames.de/Battlefield-3-PC-221396/News/Battlefield-3-und-Origin-EA-von-Verbraucherzentrale-abgemahnt-Streit-wird-im-Extremfall-vor-Gericht-ausgetragen-857147

The thing people are wondering about due to EA's reaction to the Verbraucherzentrale is sort of like this: Well dear EA, if you don't want to all the evil things people are worried about you could just sign this "cease and desist" that says you won't... right?

Since EA didn't sign... and is still in violation of German privacy laws, this will likely go before court.

And frankly... at this point, no matter what EA's actual intentions towards spying on their customers are, now it's more or less a fact that they kinda like being major a**holes that  don't give a flying f*** about the law of the countries they operate in.

Over 3000 1 star comments on Amazon is also kinda telling as to how "successful" Origin is in winning the hearts of their customers (http://www.amazon.de/EA-Battlefield-3-Limited-Edition/dp/B004M17DVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329653607&sr=8-1)  I don't think there was a company in the games industry in Germany that was hated that much since Starforce.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:48:41 am by Mikes »

"it's just like steam" is TERRIBLE support.  steam can **** off too.

there is NO reason to force origin on us other than as a vector for ad spam and data mining.  i'm not helping EA do that.

Although origin is not ad spamming me as much as Steam is, and Origin is ALSO NOT DATAMINING

I have NO idea where that "DATAMINING" bull**** came from, but it has been thoroughly disproved by CT Magazine (a german computer magazine). Basically, all the scans origin does are the ones it is ordered to do by windows: Windows always scans your programdata folder when it wants to make a secure connection. It's the result of scanning for licenses. No actual data is collected (And personal data should not be in programdata in the first place...)

So I played the demo today.

I like it. The combat really feels a lot "heavier" then ME2's did, which is a good thing to me. That is probably DICE's involvement. Although the "kid" thing was a bit over sympthatic, it is good to see things like Shepard being shell-shocked and... well... a little bit more vurnrable then last time around. She (I played as female for the demo) feels a bit more human, although I understand they did have to tone down the dialogue choses to bring that accros..

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
There are actually more dialogue options in the full game as opposed to the demo sequence.  Many of them were indeed taken out for the demo.

According to Bioware, at least.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Unfortunately, none of those choices can change the plot. :/

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
So I played the demo today.

I like it. The combat really feels a lot "heavier" then ME2's did, which is a good thing to me. That is probably DICE's involvement. Although the "kid" thing was a bit over sympthatic, it is good to see things like Shepard being shell-shocked and... well... a little bit more vurnrable then last time around. She (I played as female for the demo) feels a bit more human, although I understand they did have to tone down the dialogue choses to bring that accros..

Yeah, the whole "little kid dies" plot point is way overdone, but I do like that they're trying to portray Shep as a human being. It's one of the reasons I thought Lair of the Shadow Broker was the best DLC for ME2, hands down. The scene at the end where Shep shows a little vulnerability and a little humanity just really brought it all together for me. One can only be a stoic badass for so long before it all breaks down.

Okay, so I have this, and MP is fun.  You can hit me up as SpardaSon21 on Origin if you're interested in some of the MP.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline ShivanSpS

Thats why they come every 50.000 years, thats the time it take them to destroy civs one planet at the time.

Just blow up the sun already!

If those were Sreds, there'd be a hell lot more destruction than blown-up parks.  :rolleyes:

EDIT: They also wouldn't sound so goddamn wimpy when they fire.

You right, they seem more like SAAA.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:59:42 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
this played like fan fiction

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
this played like fan fiction

That tells us precisely nothing.

Are you talking about My Immortal or Methods of Rationality?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
If you want my opinion, it played as badly as both.

Serious.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, we are now all aware that you have not read Methods of Rationality.  Thanks for clearing that up.

The point was that not all fanfiction is bad.  You might want to amend your statement.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That tells us precisely nothing.

oh obviously i was referring to the good one

Don't be obtuse. You knew what I meant. The series is becoming a parody of itself.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't be obtuse. You knew what I meant. The series is becoming a parody of itself.

No, honestly did not. I'm working on not prejudging work by its source.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
haha, touché

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Played through the single player demo last night, Overall I like it but I do have a few gripes. Any one else feel that the facial animation has gotten worse between 2 and 3? I get the impression that I'm watching a film dub in the cutscenes as the mouth movements just don't seem to line up quite right. The new cover system seems to be hypersensitive, I find myself leeping around when all I wanted to do was look around the side. Maybe I'll get used to it with time but man that was annoying. The artwork is a whole lot better than it was in 2, it looks like they paid at lot of attention to the environment. The backround visuals are note worthy enough to almost be a distraction and each area seems to be sculpted this time around instead of the slapping together of random panels to get the levels layout. For the worst examples of this see any of the side quest in 2 especially those found in it what appear to be junkyards. The dialogue didn't seem as cheesy as it was in 2 but it still was a bit cheesy, though the sample was too small to get a full impression of what the whole game may be like. Hopefully I won't be cringing every time Shepard opens his/her mouth this time around. It bothers me a bit that they have this amazing deep story to work with and they keep inserting these cheesy lines that are completely unnecessary. Hopefully we won't see as much of that as we did the last time around. I understand that this is just a demo most of which was showcased over six months ago, I'm hoping they have spent time pollishing things up and have not spent all their time on the multiplayer aspect of the game.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours