Author Topic: December status and model releases  (Read 44668 times)

Offline CT27

Re: December status and model releases
I'm trying to understand what you're saying (my fault not yours):

So you'd be in a big room inside the Gargant/Ancient mothership and enemy fighters would try to stop you from getting to the ship's core?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
So you'd be in a big room inside the Ancient mothership and enemy fighters would try to stop you from getting to the ship's core?

Pretty much. The Ai instead of trying to stop you decided ramming the walls until they die was the better option however. This included your wingmen even if the walls were 10km away from your current position.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's a safe bet that the Descent mod I always hoped that someone would attempt would have to be multiplayer-only.  :p

Offline CT27

So you'd be in a big room inside the Ancient mothership and enemy fighters would try to stop you from getting to the ship's core?

Pretty much. The Ai instead of trying to stop you decided ramming the walls until they die was the better option however. This included your wingmen even if the walls were 10km away from your current position.

Would it be alright if I offer a suggestion?  It's your campaign and I'm not an expert FREDDer or anything; I'm just a fan who would really like to see the Gargant and this other super supership someday.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
An Ancient Mothership. = AJ Androgeos? Or is there something bigger and more OP?
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Would it be alright if I offer a suggestion?  It's your campaign and I'm not an expert FREDDer or anything; I'm just a fan who would really like to see the Gargant and this other super supership someday.
We wanted to use the Gargant near the end of the 2nd release of the current mod as a special mission,  but due to its low polyness we would of required using it in a nebula. FSOpen doesn't like large ships inside nebulas (least when we tested it) so it was too glitchy to use.

An Ancient Mothership. = AJ Androgeos? Or is there something bigger and more OP?
150km, no turrets and really low poly. (250-300ish) We don't have the model anymore so don't ask for it. The Gargant would be fighting it from the outside and so would be the Icanus, though not together as allies.

Offline CT27

We wanted to use the Gargant near the end of the 2nd release of the current mod as a special mission,  but due to its low polyness we would of required using it in a nebula. FSOpen doesn't like large ships inside nebulas (least when we tested it) so it was too glitchy to use.

What I was going to suggest would be to mount capital turrets on the inside of these supership rooms.  You would have to fly your bomber through a sort of 'laser grid'.  That's one possibility to not have to use problematic enemy fighters.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
FSOpen doesn't like large ships inside nebulas (least when we tested it) so it was too glitchy to use.
It doesn't? Er, didn't? Would those have been these long-fixed bugs, by chance?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Not sure, the model randomly vanishes so that it is invisible from certain angles though you can still collide with it. It only did that in nebula's though. It was a long while ago that I tried it so it may work now, I'll see if I can test it this week.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Not sure, the model randomly vanishes so that it is invisible from certain angles though you can still collide with it. It only did that in nebula's though. It was a long while ago that I tried it so it may work now, I'll see if I can test it this week.
Yes, that's one of the bugs from the linked Mantis issue.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mr.WHO

Huh? Ancient Mothership that is even bigger than Gargant? How did they manage to build something like this if Shivans made them nearly extinct and without Shivans notice this?

I also thought that Ancients were no longer part of Inferno campaign and they would be the part of Ancient addon campaign (if it will ever be released)? Was this Ancient vs. Gargant idea was for part two of the first release?

Speaking of very old ideas I remember there was long ago the concept of other all-powerful race similar to Shivans, but there was only one screenshot.
Can you share was was their story and role in Inferno?

Now the hard question that no one asked for long time (I bet everyone just assume Inferno will never be release again or not before 2020 :)  ):

What is the progress on Inferno release 2 and INF:Alliance 2?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Wonder why the Ancients would fight the GTVA, and to the point of the GTVA having to pull an "enemy of my enemy" with the Shivans.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I actually do think an Ancient return was planned. I wonder if V ever had any concept art...

Inferno urgently needs a mission designer.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I also thought that Ancients were no longer part of Inferno campaign and they would be the part of Ancient addon campaign (if it will ever be released)? Was this Ancient vs. Gargant idea was for part two of the first release?
Yes this would of been R4 of the original R1 not the current Nostos version were they aren't featured at all.

Speaking of very old ideas I remember there was long ago the concept of other all-powerful race similar to Shivans, but there was only one screenshot.
Can you share was was their story and role in Inferno?
Heh I can't even remember what those were called now, but the idea for those is they are the ones that 'hold the Shivans back' when it was necessary.

We lost the last full time mission designer a few weeks ago so for now I'm planning to come out of retirement and complete the next release myself. I was going to be starting in the next few weeks but we had a death in the family this morning so it may take a while longer than I originally planned.

We might be going more episodic than originally planned depending on how fast the model team can get back together and finish the last things I need. If so the first release will probably be next year if I get the last models on time, though I won't be holding myself to that at this point in time.
Completion of the entire project still requires some major models to be completed such as the Gigas, Icanus and our Vasudan flagship but I can make do with the minor craft providing I get the last ch1 ships completed.

INFA2 will depend on how much interest there is at the time if I'm still working alone on this since the main campaign is around 60 missions already so doing another one solo is a lot of work. There will be some INFA elements in later parts of the campaign even if INFA2 is cancelled so it won't be scrubbed entirely.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm really sorry to hear that. Condolences and best wishes.

Offline CT27

To make sure I understand the terms correctly:

"Nostos" refers to the currently in progress remake of the original Inferno, whereas "release 2" was originally going to be the sequel to the old Inferno?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Yes, since there was more confusion leaving it as just plain 'Inferno'

Offline CT27

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with using large ships in nebulas?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with using large ships in nebulas?

This has already been answered.

(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Gargant seems to be behaving itself now in nebula anyway. I tested it this afternoon.