Author Topic: newbie having problems w/ control  (Read 5457 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
newbie having problems w/ control
I use my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, but the damn axis is off ever so slightly that if i make a small twich to the right from the dead postion the damn thing throws me to the left violently.  So in turn I have to set my sensitivity low and keep my arm constantly on edge.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You guys have to learn that the tighter you grip your joystick, the more control you'll have - and control is essential; you don't want to flinch and lose your control, flying around in the x axis - you'll die almost immediately, and you just won't pleasure anyone, much less yourself, killing your joy before you get used to your stick.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 07:20:18 am by 368 »

I'm just about to go ingame and try to bind these controls to my Gamecube pad, think Rogue Leader style :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Swantz
I use my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, but the damn axis is off ever so slightly that if i make a small twich to the right from the dead postion the damn thing throws me to the left violently.  So in turn I have to set my sensitivity low and keep my arm constantly on edge.

I had a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, and the exact same thing happened to me when I tried to use the twist axis.  I think there may be some sort of mechanical problem in that line of sticks; the newer Logitech sticks seem to have gotten good reviews, though.  I gave up on the Force 3D after it started jerking around crazily whenever I plugged it in. :p My Saitek Cyborg Evo's been a much better stick, for me at least.

Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
I'm just about to go ingame and try to bind these controls to my Gamecube pad, think Rogue Leader style :D

Don't tell me this game doesn't support analogue acceleration...

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Mine was a simple flimsy plastic rod.   It broke in the first month... Simply go to ship control config and erase bank I think... Clears the problem right up. If I want to bank I use numberpad 7 & 9 as I have for the last 5/6 years...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Logitech force-feedback pro. Ancient, but relaible. Only cost me $15 too!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Swantz

i've got it too. it's a pain in the ass when you're playing Mechwarrior 4.

the first Logitech Extreme 3D Pro i bought was all funky, whenever i played 5 minutes into a game the axis would be thrown off so bad the right side would barely respond. i bought another one and now i have to deal with that crap. my Sidewinder Pro was better than this. not as many buttons though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll always stand by my belief that the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro was the greatest stick ever created, for Descent at least.  It has a short throw, very precise motions, and perfect button placement.  Unfortunately, I don't have a gameport on my current machine, but a member of the Descent community has developed a 3DPro-to-USB converter that should solve that problem.  It'll be great to use the old thing again. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl

Don't tell me this game doesn't support analogue acceleration...

It does, just not in the way you're probably wanting to map it.  Throttle Axis is analogue.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Mongoose
I'll always stand by my belief that the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro was the greatest stick ever created, for Descent at least.  It has a short throw, very precise motions, and perfect button placement.  Unfortunately, I don't have a gameport on my current machine, but a member of the Descent community has developed a 3DPro-to-USB converter that should solve that problem.  It'll be great to use the old thing again. :)

i'd get it, but my mom had my sidewinder shipped off to the goddamned Salvation Army. :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Logitech force feedback 3d.....i turn the sens down and the dead up a bit...seems ot handle the lateral problem.  Of course i can't find a condom for it so safe cyber sex is out.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
About the only reason I keep a joystick these days is to play FS2, the only other thing you can play it on is flight Sims, and for some reason, they very very rarely appeal to me.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the saitek x52 is the smoothest stick ive used to date. its spring id increadibly light to the touch. i had to get used to not having so much resistance in the way it moves. the only way they culd make it better would be to make it wireless.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

jeez, this place has more bad puns than comedy central on saturday night :lol:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:33:42 am by 3085 »
Lightning....im always first

Originally posted by Nuke
saitech x52 here, the best on the market as far as i know. remember the phrase is pull up. associate the stick movement with the axial movement of the ship. you will notice that the ship rotates in the same direction the stick does. ive been pulling up sence the original starfox. ive gone as far as setting the invert mouse option in fps games.

I have the same stick, ive only used it a few times, it feels really awkward, im use to the keyboard, im trying to learn the stick again lately, its really difficult lol, im so use to kickin ass on the keyboard, getting 60-100 on multi player missions and 30 kills in a 12 minute dog fight with other skilled pilots, (which is actually REALLY good, average is about 15-20) on the stick ill be lucky if i get 5 AI kills LOL

Im use to inverted as well, i play inverted in FPS' on controlers, i simply cant stand non inverted, it just makes more sence to me to use inverted in flight simulators because, well, in actual flight, things ARE inverted. some other flight simulators you simply cannot change it from inverted to regular up and down. which must drive u non-inverters nuts :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:44:23 pm by 2832 »

I go inverted, my brother likes 'up to be up,' so it ain't a family thing :rolleyes: