Off-Topic Discussion > General Discussion

Stephen Hawking has passed away

(1/2) > >>

Grizzly:
Stephen Hawking has passed away, age 76. I don't really agree with the "great men theory" in history, where history is remembered as a succession of influential men, the complexities of societies compressed into a series of idolizing personal narratives.

Yet, I do hope history will remember Stephen Hawking.

DefCynodont119:

--- Quote from: -Joshua- on March 14, 2018, 01:51:05 am ---Stephen Hawking has passed away, age 76. I don't really agree with the "great men theory" in history, where history is remembered as a succession of influential men, the complexities of societies compressed into a series of idolizing personal narratives.

Yet, I do hope history will remember Stephen Hawking.

--- End quote ---

There are far too few astrophysicists on this world.   :(

And even fewer who could live with a terminal illness like what he had past age 70,  Mad Respect.

The greatest honer a scientist can have is for their work to be continued and built upon.  /salute

I wonder how long it will be before someone figures out the whole deal with quantum gravity. . .

0rph3u5:
I've always wanted to go out there and debate the man while he was alive.
There was always something disagreeable (in a good way) about what he said beyond astrophysics (maybe there too if you know more about astrophysics).

But then again, I can't think of a more fitting tribute to a man and a mind you never met than that.

--- Quote from: -Joshua- on March 14, 2018, 01:51:05 am --- I don't really agree with the "great men theory" in history [...] I do hope history will remember Stephen Hawking.

--- End quote ---

History is indistinct from those who tell it and it is their needs that shape it.

Buckshee Rounds:
I think we all know deep down that his tv career eclipsed the astrophysics.

Charismatic:
Someone should make a few 'what he did' bullet points for people who don't know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version