Author Topic: Red Faction Sequel!  (Read 9442 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well 2 runs but is unstable as hell, it tends to crash after each 10 minutes of play. rf1 has shredded polys, like it didnt know how to play connect the dots right.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
i have the feeling the pc version will be a cheap hack again. intresting though, it is no longer possible for me to run rf1 or 2 on this computer. my dx version is too high(9).

oh, you think ther'll be a PC version?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
doubtfull.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i have the feeling the pc version will be a cheap hack again. intresting though, it is no longer possible for me to run rf1 or 2 on this computer. my dx version is too high(9).

dunno, if there is, it'll be a piss-poor console port.. THQ hasn't had a good track record for console ports..
i equally doubt that the hallmark of the series, "Geomod" will make a comeback for this, it was gimmicky at best..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ZmaN

i would hope they did...
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't see how they could make a red faction without geomod, I mean that'd be like making a freespace inside a small enclosed area.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Yeah I'm sure geomod will be there.
A PC version of this will be completely out of the question though unfortunately.

Offline ZmaN

A PC version of this will be completely out of the question though unfortunately.

wouldnt it make more sense to make the game a PC version first and then port to console?  Isnt PC supirior to all consoles?
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.

wouldnt it make more sense to make the game a PC version first and then port to console?  Isnt PC supirior to all consoles?
You should know by now that Volition has long since forsaken us lowly PC gamers.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
I don't see how they could make a red faction without geomod, I mean that'd be like making a freespace inside a small enclosed area.

oh i'll agree, but given that it's only worked all that well for Red Faction, RF2's use of it wasn't as grand, let's hope they mix that with a decent physics engine to bring a whole new dimension to it..

for example, take HL2's gravity gun, and launch a filing cabinet through a wall at somebody..  the ability to make a warzone LOOK the part would be rather interesting, especially in multiplayer where opponents can make or obliterate cover.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
PhysX anyone?......

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
PhysX anyone?......

that's one thought, particularly with the beginnings of proper fluid physics in a game, it'll certainly be one part of geomod that was supposed to be there, but was cut out.

i wouldn't mind also the AI taking note of the geometry modification, by blasting holes in the wall to get at you, or driving large vehicles through the wall, it'd also be interesting for scripted events, too.
   //Warning\\

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
PhysX anyone?......

that's one thought, particularly with the beginnings of proper fluid physics in a game, it'll certainly be one part of geomod that was supposed to be there, but was cut out.

i wouldn't mind also the AI taking note of the geometry modification, by blasting holes in the wall to get at you, or driving large vehicles through the wall, it'd also be interesting for scripted events, too.

I think both Ps3 and 360 have some form of PhysX support (the former IIRc has a more complete version with some added fluid dynamics, as they can give it a processing unit all to itself), so it'd seem a natural thing to use.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

oh i'll agree, but given that it's only worked all that well for Red Faction, RF2's use of it wasn't as grand, let's hope they mix that with a decent physics engine to bring a whole new dimension to it..

for example, take HL2's gravity gun, and launch a filing cabinet through a wall at somebody..  the ability to make a warzone LOOK the part would be rather interesting, especially in multiplayer where opponents can make or obliterate cover.

That's a kickass idea. I'd play a game just for that - you should send them that idea via email :D

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté

That's a kickass idea. I'd play a game just for that - you should send them that idea via email :D

what'd be a really kickass tech demo for the idea would be sitting behind a cinderblock wall (in a game enviroment) during an (unrealisitcally strong) hurricane and seeing various things just bash their way through the walls arbitrarily, kinda like cannonballs at a castle.

again, i'd LOVE to see proper liquid dynamics appear in a game, and with geomod, you could, say, realistically model the destruction of a dam and watch it's effects of water and debris on a town below, all done with geomod and physics.. or you could blow the dam from the water side and ride the torrent of water as it tears down a valley.  ;)

a long way off, yes, ambitious, definitely, but i'd love to see a game company come up with that, even from the engine licensing alone, it'd be almost perfect  Particularly our beloved lads up in volition. may they be separated at the hip from having to deal purely with consoles and THQ.. admittedly THQ's not all bad.. they did publish Dawn of war after all.
   //Warning\\

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
BF:BC seems like it will beat RF3 to the punch for first next gen geomod.

It also looks absolutely amazing.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté

that acronym means nothing to me.
   //Warning\\

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ah, I thought I was the only one...

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Ah, I thought I was the only one...

i figured as much..

and deepblue, never say "looks absolutely amazing" when mentioning games... your track record about games being wonderous based on mere screenshots is poor..

saw this, thought of you.. (scanned from MAD magazine)
   //Warning\\

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

T
the only thing seen for it is a brief scripted trailer and a press release.  And that doesn't show anything particularly unique.