Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 135913 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Ah, you made me remember the good old times when I was just like you.

The things we lost. sniff
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

You, a normie: Let's not mix FreeSpace and thousands of people dying

Me, an intellectual, making a big difference in the world:

I don't claim to be an intellectual or whatever, but there's 1 thing I've learned for sure: It doesn't matter how much thought, abstraction and what else you put into your awnser - if the awnser is just rude... it's just rude.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh no, not rude!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Imagine being rude to someone who pushed for this massacre. Imagine how bad that would be.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
NGL, Anyone that denies Covid-19 is a threat is likely a problematic person, the member's adminship or contributions aside. . .

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Me, accompanied by the sound of front-end loaders, while a waterfall of corpses slowly tumbles into a mass grave behind me: I was mean to the 'we must reopen the churches' man, and it was terrible

Are you and your family ok

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I don't claim to be an intellectual or whatever, but there's 1 thing I've learned for sure: It doesn't matter how much thought, abstraction and what else you put into your awnser - if the awnser is just rude... it's just rude.

You say that as if you think that Battuta didn't know it was rude (which Battuta did) and did it anyway out of the belief that rudeness towards a person who downplays the severity of a deadly disease, obfuscates the objective facts surrounding the deadly disease, and actively encourages activities which spread that deadly disease is wholly justified.

Because, you know.

It ****ing is.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Are you and your family ok

I also am concerned. We haven't seen you, General, for a while, and you're right there in the thick of it. Obviously it's stressful, but have you and yours managed to stay safe so far?

Fauci didn't underestimate the virus. Quit your bull****.
If there was a cover-up then the question becomes what would the real situation have needed to be like so that the rest of the world would have changed their response. And I honestly don't believe the Western world would have done anything different unless China had reported casualties in the hundreds of thousands, not just thousands like they did. Why? Cause even if there was a cover-up what they did tell us was ****ing terrifying. China shut down an entire city because they claimed 500 people had a virus. They shut down the entire country during the largest festival of the year for 2000 cases.

Uh, yeah, Fauci did underestimate the virus. What's more, he did so after Wuhan was shut down. So unless you're claiming to have greater expertise than Fauci, you're just an armchair epidemiologist using 20/20 hindsight. Hell, look at almost any interview of Fauci before Italy's outbreak:

Spoiler:
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, January 21
But this is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something that the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, January 26
The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It’s a very, very low risk to the United States, but it’s something we, as public health officials, need to take very seriously.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, January 28
But the one thing historically people need to realize, that even if there is some asymptomatic transmission, in all the history of respiratory-borne illnesses of any type, asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks. The driver of outbreaks is always a symptomatic person, even if there's a rare asymptomatic person that might transmit, an epidemic is not driven by asymptomatic carriers.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, February 10
One, they should realize at this point, it is a low risk. And two, that risk can change, so pay attention to what’s going on... So the question is, should we do anything different from what we’re already doing? No. Should we all be wearing a mask? Absolutely not.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, February 17
So although we don't want people to be worried now, I think we need to realize that this could change. So right now, don't worry about it. Be more concerned about influenza, which is going into a second peak for the season, than coronavirus.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, February 25
So, anecdotally, it’s clear that there are people who would judge to be asymptomatic when questioned, who very likely transmitted infection during the period of time that they were in the asymptomatic state. The question is, is that a predominant modality of transmission, what we call a driver of an outbreak, or is it one that’s minor? From talking to people who are over there now, and we’re getting more and more information as papers come in to look at to review, it looks like A, it does occur, but B, it is not something that is the predominant way that it’s transmitted.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, February 29
Right now, at this moment, there’s no need to change anything that you’re doing on a day by day basis. Right now the risk is still low, but this could change. I’ve said that many times even on this program. You’ve got to watch out because although the risk is low now, you don’t need to change anything you’re doing.
Quote from: Anthony Fauci, March 8
Right now in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks... There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask.

Some caveats are in order. First, as I've said before, I don't blame Fauci in the slightest; before Italy's outbreak, the science was unclear.

Second, China's cover-up in no way excuses the U.S.'s incompetence after the science became clear, sometime in March. The response of the Trump administration, and of many GOP governors, has been a disaster from beginning to end (as basically everyone in this thread agrees), and nowadays my rage is focused almost entirely on them. Especially since the virus is currently ravaging my state.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dude, do not ****ing lump Fauci in with Trump.  He's literally the sole voice of reason and science right now.

Offline Aesaar

I'd suggest that Fauci didn't underestimate the virus so much as he completely underestimated just how much of a goddamn moron Trump is.

OK probably time to move this into political discussion?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd suggest that Fauci didn't underestimate the virus so much as he completely underestimated just how much of a goddamn moron Trump is.

THIS.

Everything Fauci said was scientifically correct. We know it's correct because it was correct in South Korea. It was correct in Taiwan. It was correct in Vietnam. Even the stuff about masks. We STILL don't know if that helped or not.

Fauci was basically in a situation with two choices. Downplay the danger or get kicked out of the Trump team and let whatever businessman Trump put in charge run the show. And then we wouldn't have been looking at hundreds of thousands of dead but at millions.

EDIT: I'll move the thread tomorrow. If I move it now a lot of people won't realise why it suddenly disappeared.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:50:09 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
If you do move it, make a non-political Coronavirus thread, and move all the non-political posts into it please.

That's 47 pages of posts though

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you do move it, make a non-political Coronavirus thread, and move all the non-political posts into it please.

Or people could just do the sane thing and post in a single thread about it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does it not strike anyone else as bat-**** insane that we have to move a thread about a deadly viral pandemic into the Politics category? This should not be political.

Relevant thing I posted to Twitter on Feb 28.

Easily the scariest thing about the Coronavirus is that @realDonaldTrump and his administration have made it political. Now it's about saving Trump instead of saving lives.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.