Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422931 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Maybe someone capable can make a snap app for Knossos if the licenses are not violated?!

Offline anagram

Alternative compiling instructions

Tested on a clean Ubuntu 20.04 install
OBS: This doesn't use pipenv because I don't know how to use it.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install build-essential git p7zip-full libopenal-dev ninja-build pipenv pyqt5-dev pyqt5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools qt5-default
sudo apt install nodejs npm yarnpkg
sudo apt install python3-semantic-version python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine python3-requests-toolbelt python3-ply
sudo apt install libsdl2-dev

git clone https://github.com/ngld/knossos.git
cd knossos

pip3 install token-bucket
yarnpkg install
python3 configure.py

ninja run

If everything works, you can install knossos using:

sudo python3 setup.py install
sudo install -Dm644 ./releng/ubuntu/debian/knossos.desktop /usr/share/applications/knossos.desktop
sudo install -Dm644 ./knossos/data/hlp.png /usr/share/knossos/knossos/data/hlp.png

It gives an error on startup (I don't know why) but you can safely ignore it.

I made this because the instructions of the other users didn't work on my system for some reason.

Edit: fixed typos
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:52:11 pm by anagram »

Thanks for the instruction.

18.04 users: the packages "pipenv" and "yarnpkg" are not avaiable in 18.04. You might need this one, too, before compiling
sudo apt install curl
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pypa/pipenv/master/get-pipenv.py | sudo python3
curl -sS https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/ stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yarn.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt install yarn
and using

yarn install
instead of

yarnpkg install

Offline m!m

I just released version 0.14.1: https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/tag/v0.14.1

Thanks to the tireless work of chief1983 we now have Mac builds again! There are no other functional changes in this release.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.1 (combined launcher/installer)
I updated the title of the OP but not sure if any more data in that post should be updated at this point.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I just released version 0.14.1: https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/tag/v0.14.1

Thanks to the tireless work of chief1983 we now have Mac builds again! There are no other functional changes in this release.

@anagram: did you try it in 20.04? As I am no python/programming expert: How to revert your installation instructions, especially the "sudo install" lines?

According to the Readme this should work

pipenv run python3 configure.py
Warning: Python 3.6 was not found on your system…
python3 version here is 3.8.2 in 20.04. Ideas?

Sorry for confusing everyone here. That error comes from the README instructions of 0.14.1 referring to Ubuntu 18.04. Using anagrams instructions works flawlessly. It seems much more stable than using the 0.13.3 from the PPA

@m!m: Would you mind updating the README accordingly for 20.04 users?

Offline anagram

@anagram: did you try it in 20.04? As I am no python/programming expert: How to revert your installation instructions, especially the "sudo install" lines?

To update you can run:
git pull
sudo python3 setup.py install

you don't need to uninstall before updating, but if you want to uninstall run:
sudo pip uninstall knossos

I am not a python programmer myself but I am learning. If the community wants I can try to make a ppa/deb to make it easier to install.

I am not a python programmer myself but I am learning. If the community wants I can try to make a ppa/deb to make it easier to install.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!  :yes:
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Okay, it's happening for real. I have Knossos and, right now, I'm downloading FS2 from GOG. Even though I have my good old, *pat* :v-old: *pat* copy of FreeSpace 2, my computer doesn't support any CDs so I had to buy the game from GOG. No big deal, it's very well deserved.

My previous computer was one of the reasons why I couldn't play FS anymore. It was obsolete, and I never had the actual need to replace it. The circumstances changed a couple of weeks ago so here I am.

Let's see if I can figure out how to do everything by myself. I can't even remember the last time I player FreeSpace, it must have been between 2011 and 2012.  :D

EDIT: Done, but I still have to run it. It's easier than ever before! I'm glad to see that so much progress had been made.  :yes:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:09:01 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Check
a) all classic campaigns you used to know, and possible upgrades of them
b) all fantastic "new" mods, like Blue Planet, Exile, Just Another Day (all parts), Wings of Dawn, etc
c) the Total Conversions of Galactica, Wing Commander, Babylon 5, and everything else you can find

Same here, my old PC didn't make it anymore, both with the mods, and physically   ;)  Now I have 8 GB RAM and a 2 GB VGA card. Pleasure to Kill now those Vasudans, Shivans, other Ancients, you name them ;7

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Most of the mods and TCs you mentioned were already available back then, but I do in fact notice many upgrades and re-releases of said content. Looking for updates has never been so easy, so my most sincere congratulations go to whoever developed Knossos.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CT27

If I want to give Knossos a try do I download "Knossos 0.14.1 .exe" or "update 0.14.1 . exe"?

Hi, no idea where to put this but I'm having issues with the client not showing any mods and with it not downloading from or opening when I click fso://open/ links on fsnebula.org
I have given the Knossos client firewall permissions and the fsnebula.org all Chrome permissions and checked the box for the web association for the client when installing.
I would really appreciate some help...

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hi, no idea where to put this but I'm having issues with the client not showing any mods and with it not downloading from or opening when I click fso://open/ links on fsnebula.org
I have given the Knossos client firewall permissions and the fsnebula.org all Chrome permissions and checked the box for the web association for the client when installing.

There is a server side issue ATM
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Understood, thank you. It appears my problem is fixed now, I reinstalled and deleted all data in Knossos folder in AppData folder.

Understood, thank you. It appears my problem is fixed now, I reinstalled and deleted all data in Knossos folder in AppData folder.

Well... My problem with the client not loading any content is fixed and I'm currently downloading mods, but the custom URL protocol association is still not setup... This video shows what happens:

https://youtu.be/GTP-pPawXgc

Is there an ETA on the "server side issue" being resolved?  Currently I can only see the mods I've already installed, but I know there are many more that *should* be available.

I also want to know when the server side issue on installing mods will be corrected......and, has 0.14.1 been successfully built on Ubuntu 20.04.  Currently I am using 0.13.3 as per page 43 instructions
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:27:20 pm by JeffPearson »