Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 423022 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
I have a challenge here under Ubuntu 20.04. When running Herkie's Aftermath TBG with Knossos 0.14.1 the game crashes after some minues with wrong colors using 3.8.0 and 19.0.0, seems some VGA stuff?! Card is NVIDIA 1030 with 440. Now I tried compiling 3.7.4 here as Herkie recommended in the release thread, but the game only starts in Window mode (renamed 3.7.4 to 3.8.0.AppImage) and shows "wrong resolution", but it is the correct one. How to fix that? Command line errors from "ninja run" are

Code: [Select]
Starting mod "The Aftermath Reboot II" with cmdline "['-orbradar', '-ship_choice_3d', '-3dshockwave', '-soft_particles', '-fxaa', '-fb_explosions', '-enable_shadows', '-dualscanlines', '-targetinfo', '-rearm_timer', '-ballistic_gauge', '-weapon_choice_3d', '-3dwarp', '-warp_flash', '-missile_lighting', '-post_process', '-no_deferred', '-noscalevid', '-mod', 'AftermathReboot2-1.0.0,AftermathReboot-1.1.0,MVPS-3.7.2', '-parse_cmdline_only']" and tool "/home/oliver/FS2/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.AppImage".
INFO:Thread-19:runner.run: Launching FS2: ['/home/oliver/FS2/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.AppImage', '-orbradar', '-ship_choice_3d', '-3dshockwave', '-soft_particles', '-fxaa', '-fb_explosions', '-enable_shadows', '-dualscanlines', '-targetinfo', '-rearm_timer', '-ballistic_gauge', '-weapon_choice_3d', '-3dwarp', '-warp_flash', '-missile_lighting', '-post_process', '-no_deferred', '-noscalevid', '-mod', 'AftermathReboot2-1.0.0,AftermathReboot-1.1.0,MVPS-3.7.2', '-parse_cmdline_only'] in /home/oliver/FS2/FS2
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_streamStateCallback: Received stream failure!
I haven't compiled the respective DEBUG build yet, maybe you guys find something or have an idea

THX

I found a (the?) solution. I tried running it with wxlauncher and an old installation, same crashes occurred. After downgrading the antialiasing settings in wxlauncher to "bilinear" (settings in Knossos were "bi", too) it works. I used 19.0.0 build for both. Maybe Knossos is accessing existing .fs2_open settings, if they are available? Or do the engines in Linux do so by default? Nevertheless, it seems to work now

I'm having this weird problem where any time I try to launch a mod, "FSO is launching" pops up in the top like normal, then disappears, and nothing happens. I tried with a few mods, but the main one I was trying to get into was the new MVPs. Changed to an older FSO build (3.8.1) and it actually launched, but then had a ton of errors. This is...frustrating.

EDIT: All I had to do was select a joystick or no joystick apparently. This is a...really weird bug.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:08:10 pm by CrimsonDuval »

EDIT: All I had to do was select a joystick or no joystick apparently. This is a...really weird bug.
Thank you so much for this priceless hint! I almost gone crazy by shuffling video card drivers and drilling holes into my firewall until I came across this....

Hey, I do have a problem with the launcher. I had previously reinstalled the game and noticed that I had a "save file" for my profiles in a folder called "players"
In there there are some .json .hcf .csg and .plr files.
Can I somehow get them working again with this launcher and the respective campaigns (BP complete, FSPort and Derelict)?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'd really like to play this game. It worked for awhile until I upgraded to 0.14.3 and now I cannot get it to run. It won't start. For awhile I could get 3.8.0 to run; and this morning I got the rc19-1 to run but all I have to do is go into options and not change anything and then nothing works. If I keep running the Knossos install eventually one of my tabs will randomly work. I tried completely uninstalling KNOSSOS without uninstalling my Steam and then reinstalling Knossos 0.14.2 with no luck then I upgraded to 0.14.3 with no luck today as a last ditch attempt. I'm totally dead in the water.  Your next question is when I say "cannot get to run" what exactly do I mean. Sometimes it just flashes back to the launcher. Sometimes I get "I can't find the selected excecutable! the file ........ qtfred_20_1_0_2020811_3fsopenblblabla" is missing. There are different versions in the data / bin area that seem to change at random.

Now after fighting it for 3 days and leaving several messages here that have gone unanswered, I have the above error 'can't find selected executable', none of my two tabs - GOTY or Retail (work) with that error. MVPs is no where to be found in the explore or home tab. No mod will install because I have no MVPs.

the first error I got when upgrading to 0.14.3 was "an error occurred during the installation of Media MVPs. It might be partially installed. Please run a file integrity check ..." that's what I'm getting now.

Please try to be patient, Heinrich.  Everyone here is here as a hobbyist at best, and real life is pretty brutal all over the world right now.

Knossos 0.14.3 solved most of my issues with running FSO.  I'm surprised it is giving you so much grief.  What OS are you running this on?  Do you have an error log you can post?  There are numerous threads that give detailed instructions on how to make, locate, and post a copy of your error logs. 

I'm not any kind of competent to debug detailed problems, but I can point you in the right direction.  I strongly recommend that you read this thread below in it's entirety before doing anything else.  Following the instructions therein to the letter is the best way to help the people on this board help you.

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.0 :)
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Thank you for responding. I don't see anything in that post that really applies other than making sure the various *.vp files are in the retail directory and they are.

I did another circle in the morning that was the same as the past 3 or so days. I even installed Knossos onto a different drive E: with exactly the same results as C:

There are no error logs. Run fast debug gives the same error of "I can't find the selected executable ... knossos\data\bin fsfastdbg_19"

the cycle after installing Knossos goes like this:

"I can't find the selected executable ... knossos\data\bin fsopen_19"

^paraphrased

home has no tabs.

explore has 11 mods none mvps

run second time I get Freespace 2 retail and GOTY mission pack. Trying to run either gives "I can't find the selected executable ... knossos\data\bin fsopen_19"

running 'file integrity' gives

verify file integrity
an error was detected while validating the game file integrity. The followin gpackages are invalid:
long list

if I install a mod I may get another tab. Maybe not. And then the larger list of mods will appear in explore - but no MVPs in the explore tab.

Rinse, repeat, start at first line above.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What OS are you running this on? 

I'm assuming since you have drive letters it's some form of Windows.  But what version?  W10?  Knossos logs are stored in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\knossos so please open an Explorer window to that location and check for log.txt

Windows 10 / 64bit.

I got it up and running twice by uninstalling Knossos, then deleting everything I could find out of appdata\roaming and local and everywhere.

Now I have 2 tabs on Knossos front screen - retail and The Babylon Project which I installed. Media MVPs are in the 'install' tab now even though they weren't for the first run runs. installing them gave me trouble before; perhaps I should now since the game stopped running.

The retail icon on the home screen executed 19.0.0.0 twice as I mentioned but now just flashes with nothing running.

log.txt:

INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.14.3 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.8 (tags/v3.6.8:3c6b436a57, Dec 23 2018, 23:31:17) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2q  20 Nov 2018
INFO:MainThread:util.call: Running ['C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Knossos\\7z.exe', '-h']
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180924 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181111 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181113 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181114 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181218 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200614 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200613 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20191223 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20191228 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200107 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200114 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200119 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200129 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200206 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200209 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200412 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:MainThread:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200420 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/repo.json"...
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180924 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181111 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181113 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181114 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20181218 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200614 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200613 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20191223 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20191228 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200107 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200114 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200119 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20200129 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200206 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200209 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200412 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 20.1.0-20200420 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
INFO:MainThread:runner.run_mod_ex: Starting mod "Retail FS2" with cmdline "['-mod', 'FS2', '-parse_cmdline_only']" and tool "C:\Users\Heinrich\Documents\Knossos\bin\FSO-19.0.0\windows/x64_avx/fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_AVX.exe".
INFO:Thread-14:runner.run: Launching FS2: ['C:\\Users\\Heinrich\\Documents\\Knossos\\bin\\FSO-19.0.0\\windows\\x64_avx\\fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_AVX.exe', '-mod', 'FS2', '-parse_cmdline_only'] in C:\Users\Heinrich\Documents\Knossos
INFO:Thread-14:util.check_output: Running ['C:\\Users\\Heinrich\\Documents\\Knossos\\bin\\FSO-19.0.0\\windows\\x64_avx\\fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_AVX.exe', '-get_flags', 'json_v1', '-parse_cmdline_only']
INFO:MainThread:runner.run_mod_ex: Starting mod "Retail FS2" with cmdline "['-mod', 'FS2', '-parse_cmdline_only']" and tool "C:\Users\Heinrich\Documents\Knossos\bin\FSO-19.0.0\windows/x64_avx/fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_AVX.exe".
INFO:Thread-15:runner.run: Launching FS2: ['C:\\Users\\Heinrich\\Documents\\Knossos\\bin\\FSO-19.0.0\\windows\\x64_avx\\fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_AVX.exe', '-mod', 'FS2', '-parse_cmdline_only'] in C:\Users\Heinrich\Documents\Knossos

Update: my problem was solved when I deleted everything out of 'appdata' subdirectories for Knossos. And then I found another small bug (at least I think it is) that I'll explain. Summarizing:

1 strange Knossos behavior solved by uninstalling and then cleaning everything out of appdata (losing pilot in process :( )
   a) uninstall doesn't install enough and/or
   b) install doesn't overwrite enough
2 in prior versions if I didn't my joystick set (through Warthog Target running my throttle / joystick as a combined controller) when I tried to run something from Knossos I'd get an error that my joystick wasn't available. I do not remember the exact text of the error. But now, the screen just says 'running' and then disappears, leaving you with nothing but the launch screen that won't work.

I went and played a little of "The Babylon Project". When I go back to MediaVPs - and all other regular FS2 options, I get 'current campaign cannot be found.' How do I get my status in my campaign back on the selected pilot?

Go to the campaign room and select the correct campaign. As long as you don't reset it, you should be able to continue right where you left it.

Campaign window showed nothing. Which files do I back up to back up just my pilots? In my pilot subdirectory I do see files but the content doesn't appear to be true pilot progress - three HCF files that contain data like this

+Gauge: current target direction
+RGBA: 146 22 0 144

+Gauge: mission time
+RGBA: 150 183 169 255

+Gauge: reticle
+RGBA: 150 183 169 255

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
This is one reason I usually just create different pilots for different mods.  The system is much more reliable than it used to be, but this campaign quirk still causes me to find different pilots easier to work with.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
This is one reason I usually just create different pilots for different mods.  The system is much more reliable than it used to be, but this campaign quirk still causes me to find different pilots easier to work with.

Yeah, when I first got Knossos, I had to resort to this as well.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Sorry if this has been covered but.. does Knossos have Reshade support now? How can I install Reshade (if it is possible)?

Thanks guys!

I think Reshade is supported since somebody asked for settings but that all. Not sure if Knossos supports it though.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I tried installing it to the base directory yesterday with no luck - maybe I could install it to the FSO release instead...

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Aha - yes installing Reshade directly to the active FSO folder within the Kossos library works perfectly!