Author Topic: PCS2 memory issuse on large maps  (Read 5359 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
PCS2 memory issuse on large maps
PCS2 seems to have some kind of OpenGL memory problem involving multiple large maps.  No such problems in game if you can get the ship saved.  It acts like it is trying to render the ship over and over and over and never completely loads it.  If you time it right you can get functions to work but it's a major pain in the butt. 

I was able to work around it by just renaming the maps folder temporarily so it couldn't find them so it's not the model itself (which also worked fine in PCS2 before shine, normal, and glow maps were added).  Any chance of a feature to turn off maps?  Optionally just load diffuse?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PCS2 memory issuse on large maps
Can you give some more info about the parameters of this bug? How big is the model? How big are the textures? How many of them are there? Is the model publically available, or can the issue be reproduced with one that is?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well it's not publicly available and I don't have it out here so no idea on the poly count ant the moment.  I believe there are at least 4 4096x4096 maps and 1 2048x2048 and one other that I don't know the size of.  So looking at 16 to 20 4096x4096 with the glow normal and shine.  Currently either tga on uncompressed dds depending on whether I am loading the .dae or pof.

BTW while PCS2 is extremely slow and did give me an OpenGL out of memory error I was still able to fire up the model in max so there was plenty of memory available.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Can you reproduce it with something else mapped with similarly sized textures?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
alright, lets do some math...

4*4096*4096*3(defuse/glow/shine)*4(rgba) = 805,306,368 = 0.8GB, just for those 4 textures what does your system show as memory usage, if it's less than 1.5 gigs Id's say this is just cause you are using huge textures.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I got up to 2GB virtual, ~1.5GB resident, with 8 4k*4k plain white diffuse, glow and shine maps. It seemed fine to me (running a Linux build) apart from taking longer to load.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well physical without the maps drops from 1.3gig down to about 1.17 with just the model.  With the textures it drops down to about 300meg then shoots back up to 700 where it remains but is very slow and the hour glass is there almost constantly.  I can easily run other apps though it's just PCS2 that keeps going no responsive (yes it will even flash that from time to time).  Confirmed that there are 16 4096, 4 2048,  7 1024 maps and one eff which of course isn't loaded as it can't be found. 

Also noticed that with the maps not able to be found I can open multiple huge ships very quickly.  One of those ships only has 3 1024 and 3 512 maps. 

Haven't had a chance to try a smaller model with 4096 maps yet.  Still I'm finding working with the maps turned off a huge performance boost.  Having the ability would make a great feature. 

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
redonkulus huge maps = redonkulus huge memory usage
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, (16*4096*4096 + 4*2048*2048 +  7*1024*1024)*4 == 1170210816 == 1.17GB, now texture compression, cuts that by 1/4th (550MB), which would probably put it into the workable category, but that's still a lot of memory and there is nothing you can do about that.

"300meg then shoots back up to 700 where it remains but is very slow" that is the OS switching to virtual memory and swapping it off of the hard drive. your textures are too big, compress them.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Thing is it doesn't appear to be memory (video or system) related.  I can leave the model open in PCS2 and fire up max and load the same textures no problem.  I can even go into FS2 tech room and no problems.  Haven't tried all 3 yet.  It's like there is some kind of loop going on within PCS2 that takes so long to complete that you barely have time for system input before it starts again.  

BTW I'm on my old system right now and same issue here but I would expect that as this one is a lot older.  I set the location of the directory to x: instead of c: in PCS2 as a workaround.  Its amazing how fast PCS2 is without loading them.  Even the few big TBP models are 10x faster and they were fast to begin with.  Wish I would have found this trick earlier.  

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Options that spring to mind for doing something about this:
1. Add options to disable diffuse/glow/shine maps.
2. Not load textures until needed. I.e. don't automatically switch to textured mode when loading a model and if not in textured mode, don't load the textures.
3. Add a texture memory limit, beyond which textures won't be loaded.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yea I just found out a little while ago this video card doesn't even support 4096x4096 textures so they aren't loaded but still the problem exists when it can find them.  Strange indeed.  

I suggest a flag under options to turn texture loading off unless the reload texture button is pressed or some other button.

On second thought flags to turn off each type of map kind of like the launcher has. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:28:14 am by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That seems to be a vote for 1 and 2. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
seeing as PCS2 deals with one model at a time, I don't thing option 2 would be of much use.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Unless you are planning multiple tabs with different models at some point.  Yea sure you can just open more then one instance..........

Anyway recently I have notice that some of the features seem to already exist but I don't know if they disable loading.  You can turn off textures and go to wireframe and while that may help once the model is loaded it does nothing for the initial load.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Anyway recently I have notice that some of the features seem to already exist but I don't know if they disable loading.  You can turn off textures and go to wireframe and while that may help once the model is loaded it does nothing for the initial load.
That's what option 2 would improve. Currently, textures are loaded anyway and it switches to the textured view when loading a model.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id say if huge textures are found, dump the higher mip levels then cache the textures. if using something like tga maybe have the maps converted to dds and cached locally. maybe some sort of maximum texture size option will skip maps if they are over x size.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN