Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 183744 times)

Offline FSHero

Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
Congratulations and well done to the WC Saga team!

I only joined hard-light approximately 2 years ago, so only found out about WC Saga relatively recently. Therefore it gives me great joy to know I effectively only had to wait two years for this to be completed!!

I cannot play this at the moment as I am studying for final year exams, but I'm looking forward to playing it immediately after!

Thank you for reviving the Wing Commander universe!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:eek2:

It's finally done!

Glad I saw the torrent link. Twould help if there were more seeders tho.

Was that the gameupdates torrent?  If so, what was your average speed?

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Woot, I lived through the war! :)
That last engagement was one thrillfilled ride! Surved with 4% hull resulting in the slowest landing I've ever done :D

Once again: congrats to the WCSaga team.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Surved with 4% hull resulting in the slowest landing I've ever done :D

Chicken.  You're supposed to fly in with 'burners blazing, doing victory rolls!  ;7

Got me repeatedly the message 'DirectSound could not be initialized', no matter what device is set as default and which one I set in Audio tab (I have built-in Conexant chip in my laptop and the Focusrite USB external box).

Any suggestions how to amend this situation? Thank you.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Post a debug log whilst you are waiting?  Hmm... looks like WCS doesn't have one... is there one available for download?

Do you have FS2 + SCP?  If so, does that work correctly?

If not, you could try downloading Beyond the Red Line ftp://ftp.4players.de/pub/pc/sonstiges/btrldemoinstaller.exe demo and see if that has a debug version with it.  EDIT: It does have a debug version.  If the problem you are experiencing is common to all FS2 SCP engines, perhaps the log will help.  BtRL is, however, based on a really old version of FS2 Open (3.6.9; current is soon to be 3.6.14).  Not sure if that would help or not, but it's a shot I guess.

Well, hopefully someone from the WCS team already knows the fix for this... if not, whilst they track it down and/or ask you more questions, you could try the steps I posted above to see what you can get.

EDIT: [url=] tags don't support ftp:// links, they add http:// in front, borking the link.  I'll post that in Site Support

Also... you did read these, right?

Default sound device: Sometimes the sound device might not be detected correctly in the launcher. It should be set to generic sound device by default.

No sound: If voice files appear to be missing while playing the game, check under the "Audio" tab of the launcher to see if you are running a hardware mode for sound. If so, switch to "Generic Software." This should correct the problem.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:25:24 am by jr2 »

Post a debug log whilst you are waiting?  Hmm... looks like WCS doesn't have one... is there one available for download?

Do you have FS2 + SCP?  If so, does that work correctly?

Actually I don't. Should I get one?

Also... you did read these, right?

Default sound device: Sometimes the sound device might not be detected correctly in the launcher. It should be set to generic sound device by default.

No sound: If voice files appear to be missing while playing the game, check under the "Audio" tab of the launcher to see if you are running a hardware mode for sound. If so, switch to "Generic Software." This should correct the problem.

Read it at the first place. Actually tried many things but to no avail. Will try to get me FS+SCP.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
FS2 + SCP won't fix the issue; however, the debug log may shed some light on it.  FS2 (you can get it from gog.com for 5.99) + SCP is one way to get a debug log, however, there are a few TCs you can get that also can create one.  The Babylon Project is one, however, the download size is somewhat large (750MB for the smallest version).  The BtRL demo is ~300MB.  Problem is, both TBP and BtRL use old builds of FS2, so I'm not sure how that will go.

Actually, you could try just running FS2 Open on WCS's data, but I'm not sure what would result, as WCS made several changes to how FS2 Open normally operates.  It may function well enough to give you a debug log, though.

You could try updating your sound card drivers, just in case that fixes it.  I don't think it will, but if it did it would be silly to download all that stuff... well, at least you'd get more space combat sims to play around with, but you get my point.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
TBP + Zathras will run on modern SCP builds. Don't even bother trying to run BtRL on one. We never even released the 3.6.10 patch!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
TBP + Zathras will run on modern SCP builds.

yeah, that was the intention behind it after all.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Cyker

I just finished torrenting it but the installer fails :(

Code: [Select]
---------------------------
darkest-dawn-setup.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point RestoreLastError could not be located in the dynamic
OK   

TSU Loader
Error 127 while loading TSU.DLL W:\DOCUME~1\Cyker\LOCALS~1\Temp\Tsu-0674.dll

OK   

HALP!
(Or can someone post a 7z/.rar of it instead of an installer one...?)

Offline Mr CharlieCharlie

• Golf?...a good walk spoiled!
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" :lol:

Fantastic voice acting in Darkest Dawn, great stuff...and I'm an actor(trained, although haven't trod the boards for some years)!
"All three of 'em in London..Damn 'em!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I just finished torrenting it but the installer fails :(

Where did you torrent from?

Offline Cyker

The gametorrents one mentioned on the first page.

It seems to have downloaded okay; CRC checks out with the torrent.

I think it's because I'm using Windows 2000;

Can someone upload an unpacked one...? :D
Or a fixed installer that doesn't have so many unnecessary dependencies...? ;)

I'll, err, carry on playing JAD for now...  :nervous:

The gametorrents one mentioned on the first page.

It seems to have downloaded okay; CRC checks out with the torrent.

Windows 2000 is most certainly the cause of your problem.  According to the Wing Commander Saga website, the minimum required operating system is Windows XP.

I strongly urge you to upgrade as security updates are no longer provided for Windows 2000.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

:jaw:

I strongly urge you to upgrade as security updates are no longer provided for Windows 2000.

Yeah... Two more years before XP is in the same boat... :nervous:  I wonder how long the holdouts will hold out after MS quits patching XP.  Heh, although, this is probably a pretty good indication (Win 2K still being used).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm planning on keeping this machine as XP-only for as long as it's still supported, and I'm sure I'll have it as a secondary OS even after that, just for the stuff that won't run on newer versions.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Problem's gonna be driver support.  As soon as XP is not M$-supported, any of the few remaining hardware manufacturers that provide XP drivers will (I'm almost positive) cease doing so.  You could still run it on a VM, I suppose...

Offline Cyker

Well I still have a Windows '98SE install which I use regularly (You can pry MechWarrior 3 away from my cold dead hands!) so the answer really is: As long as the hardware (and drivers) support it! ;)
Drivers will be the biggest problem 'tho - There is no technical reason why Win98SE could not have drivers for SATA, USB3, PCI-E etc., but the reasons it doesn't are mainly economical.

This was one of my hopes for EFI - Platform independent drivers - But I don't think that will ever actually happen because EFI seems to have turned into such a horrible mess :(   (But then again, so is x86 so you never know :lol:)

I'll probably never get XP as I am boycotting anything that needs on-line activation (Yes, still!); Not too bothered about security updates - They've never been worth a damn to me. You can patch an OS up as much as you want to the point of it being frustrating and painful to use *cough*Win7*cough* but at the end of the day, it is us users who are responsible for 99% of malware infections.

But I must admit things like this do annoy the heck out of me - I reckon this system is perfectly capable of playing WCS - It can run FS2 SCP no problem, and the WCS previews worked properly too. What is standing in my way is the setup program depending on an unnecessary utility function which only exists in XP's kernel32.dll!

I just want to get my hands on the unpacked files so I can play it! Oh well, I suppose that's what friends' computers are for...  ;7

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Cyker, sent you a PM