Author Topic: Joystick is better in...  (Read 2024 times)

Offline eisberg

Joystick is better in...
So I got this game installed on Linux Mint, using the FS Open version.  Joystick works much better in Linux than in Windows 7 or 8.  The problem I had with Window 7 and 8 is that it was very easy to over steer, and changing dead zone or sensitivity would not change that.  When this game originally released Microsoft had a different API for joysticks, but their new API (X-Input) has been horrible for Joysticks in my experience.

Well with Linux, using a joystick is just like how it was when the game first released and using Windows 98.

Finally get to play this game again with the updated graphics and with proper joystick control.  I am excited.

Re: Joystick is better in...
Isn't this kind of thing why we're going SDL everywhere with the next FSO release?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah.  It also makes the code more consistent by reducing the amount of OS specific code, which should reduce bugs, make it easier to modify, etc.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Hmm that explains a lot then...  I knew I wasn't that bad with joystick considering all the flight sims I fly, but I have always felt something was off in FS Open with one under Windows.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Aaand this must be why when I tried FSO with my X-45, I promptly went back to mouse and KB, aha. That was indeed my problem exactly, everything flew like a pig.

Man I hope its not bad Windows code or something, I just spent 80 bucks on a new joystick.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I still soldier on through using an X-45 (though I didn't know until very recently that it was a legit code thing and not me sucking after 8 years away/misremembering how good I was before).  I will NOT fly a space fighter with a mouse and keyboard.  WILL NOT!!!
I like to stare at the sun.

I might have to setup a linux partition or something then. I had an old Thrustmaster Top Gun and it had a massive dead spot, but the joystick always blew so I just notched it up to that and bought a CH Combatstick.  If that is as bad it will make the game nearly unplayable.  I don't like using a KB+M for a flight sim at all.  I didn't notice a deadspot when using my Xbox controller, but that is a far cry from a joystick.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Keyboard flyers unite!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well my new CH Combatstick has the same huge dead zone that my old Thrustmaster did, so I'm guessing it wasn't the joystick.  Bummer.

Setting up a linux install of the game as I type, hopefully its better as the OP stated.  Playing with a keyboard and mouse just isn't as much fun.

Offline dan87uk

I preferred my joystick back in the day but it's just so sluggish to use now (pretty much a 1 second(ish) delay on any movement) that I end up just using the keyboard....never use the mouse though as the turning circle is crap unless you have the worlds biggest mouse mat....even then its difficult when you are trying to follow an enemy doing loop-de-loops. So i just stick to numpad flying!
============================================
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty