Author Topic: What kind of advanced AI is available for FSO?  (Read 6184 times)

What kind of advanced AI is available for FSO?
I know that the campaigns Bluespace WIH and Shadow Genesis have a better AI because the BP fighters dodge better and the SG fighters can use long range missiles. Are these built into what ever software is used to make missions or did each programming team make something on their own?

Re: What kind of advanced AI is available for FSO?
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Is there an easy way to tell which campaigns use it. Its pretty awesome and I would like to find more campaigns.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Easiest way is to load up the mod in the launcher and then open FRED to see what AI profiles are available.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Or take a look inside the mod's VP files to see if it has an ai_profiles.tbl file or *-aip.tbm file. If it does, there's a pretty good chance it's using Fury AI.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Was fury the AI used for the Sync/Transcend end battle?

Offline Lorric

I think Bem Cavalgar uses Fury AI.

Wings of Dawn uses stronger AI as well.

I think pretty much any mod that's been made past 2010 is gonna use the new AI features.

Given the age of the mods, no.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Look guys, while I appreciate your calling it "Fury AI", I feel it is discrediting hard work of SCP coders (particularly Sushi) without whom the better AI would never have been possible. I simply made the tables while being as lazy as to delegate gameplay testing to QuantumDelta, who by the way also deserves bigger credit than I do.

This could be said to be equivalent of Esarai/Aesaar/whoever making another really cool ship, someone else making table entry for it and the ship gaining name of whoever made the table entry. Not fair at all.

I think pretty much any mod that's been made past 2010 is gonna use the new AI features.

Given the age of the mods, no.

I thought Transcend was pretty recent but I guess I didn't check the label. I recall though that at the end there was a Perseus fighter as the boss and I am sure it moved in strange ways since It took ten minutes of going in circles to kill.
Look guys, while I appreciate your calling it "Fury AI", I feel it is discrediting hard work of SCP coders (particularly Sushi) without whom the better AI would never have been possible. I simply made the tables while being as lazy as to delegate gameplay testing to QuantumDelta, who by the way also deserves bigger credit than I do.

This could be said to be equivalent of Esarai/Aesaar/whoever making another really cool ship, someone else making table entry for it and the ship gaining name of whoever made the table entry. Not fair at all.

Oh sorry about that. Can we call it something like "SCP Advanced AI"?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
People have known it as Fury AI for several years. It's far too late to change it's name....
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

I thought Transcend was pretty recent but I guess I didn't check the label. I recall though that at the end there was a Perseus fighter as the boss and I am sure it moved in strange ways since It took ten minutes of going in circles to kill.
While I haven't played Transcend, Fury AI isn't the only non-retail AI out there.

As for the name, I knew the name Fury AI for a long time before I knew Fury had had a hand in it. I think it fits as a name on its own, if you disassociate Fury the member and instead associate the meaning of the word fury, I think it fits very well. I thought it was named for that before I found out about Fury.

People have known it as Fury AI for several years. It's far too late to change it's name....
As far as I'm concerned, I make a point of never calling these enhanced AI features Fury AI, due Fury's past comments on the matter. However, as Lorric pointed out, it's a pretty cool name :)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft

It's a lot easier to change your name than to tell everyone else to adopt a different name. :p

If it makes you feel better, I stopped associating the AI with you since you mentioned your issue with the name. Fury in this case becomes a modifier for AI that so happens to be your username.

That said, thanks to SCP, modders, and the community for continued awesomeness.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Fury AI sounds cool, though...  :(

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I had not associated it with the user Fury before this thread; just thought it was a cool descriptive name.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Same here.  I've been a lurker mostly till the end of last year, and hadn't made a connection between what I thought was a cool name for a feature and someone's online handle.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Fury AI came about because Fury was the first to release a set of AI tables, though I only associated his files and not AI mods in general
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

For my part, at least, I don't mind the name. All of us are building on each others' shoulders, and I think we're all very aware of that. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
WoD's AI profile is named 'Strike Angels', I was just about to start making a AI table myself but then Fury released his tables, which I then used as a template. (Took a lot of work off my hands there) So while I'm not using 'Fury AI', I must admit it is a cool name. (despite Fury's objections to it  :p)

I remember back in the day, I had this super potent Cyrvan AI, which utilized glide and strafing really well, but then Sushi changed some hardcoded behavior regarding that for Diaspora, which pretty much turned the AI into a bumbling mess, where it couldn't decide to glide, turn or strafe. When I brought that up, he fiddled around with it to bring it back up to a somewhat competent degree again. But the AI just never really displayed the same ferocity after that again... (On closer inspection I am saying dumb **** here, based on old fault memory)
Namely when its turning its nose in a glide, it will rotate much slower than it should be able to, and then when the player has closed enough distance, it half way through decides that the maneuver can't be completed in time and it breaks off.

I also seem to remember that back in the 3.6.12 days, the ai behaved different from what it does now. Namely I seem to recall that the Fura'ngle would break off a joust pretty much instantly due to it having a really low courage value. (I remember talking with Quantumdelta about this too) Something that it definitely doesn't seem to do nowadays. But when I checked back using a 3.6.12 executable, the behavior I remembered it doing wasn't really happening there either. So maybe I'm just misremembering, or I should have tried checking with an even older .11 build.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:46:08 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them