Author Topic: What's the difference between a mod and a campaign?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
What's the difference between a mod and a campaign?
Or are they the same?

By the instalation instruction of the newest build, mods and campaigns are installed on the FS2O root the same way. I understand that mods are modifications to the normal operation of FS2O like the MediaVPs_2014 and some campaigns have a mod included in them, so it's really confusing me, can anyone please clarify this for me?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:38:44 pm by technopredator »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: What's the difference between a mod and a campaign?
Campaigns contain only new mission files and campaign files. Mods are something that add, modify or remove assets such as models, textures, effects and tables. A campaign becomes a mod when it contains more than missions and campaign files, or replaces existing missions with its own versions.

If someone creates a campaign for a mod and if a campaign is packaged as a vp-file, the file can be copied into the mod's root directory. Or if the campaign is not packaged, it can be copied into the mod's \data\missions directory. Since the campaign does not modify the mod in any way, except add new missions, there is no risk in breaking rest of the mod. This applies to mediavps and vanilla FS2 as well.

Campaigns can also be packaged like mods, meaning they are installed like mods and have their own mod.ini. Which allows them to be selected from the launcher.

Offline Kie99

They're used pretty synonymously, it depends on context really. 

Mod is a massive all encompassing term that refers to any modification or group of modifications.  A new ship can be described as a mod, but so can a long series of missions that don't include any new ships or weapons, or a huge series of missions with dozens of new ships.

Campaign, strictly speaking, refers only to a series of missions, but when people talk about campaigns they generally include all the mods that are required for the campaign to run.  A lot of people will tell you that Blue Planet is the best campaign ever made, when they say that they're talking about the campaign with the shiny new ships etc. taken into account. 
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
I see, thanks for the clarifying those, now to enjoy the newest build and the news MediaVPs_2014, after about 2 years of not playing! :)