Author Topic: [RELEASE] NTF Reskin Pack  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
[RELEASE] NTF Reskin Pack

Before you step in, pledge proper homage to Neo-Terra!

A random idea popped-up on Discord. A skin pack for NTF warships, to be used in MediaVPs. Although it is not likely to happen, as it would be too radical change compared to vanilla FS2 campaign, a working prototype in form of Deimos reskin emerged from the debate... So I decided to make couple more and release as reskin pack. The main goal was painting large NTF emblem on the ships to put emphasis on proud, secessionist nature of the Neo-Terran Front. Also I recolored them to give NTF their dedicated color scheme. Why blue lights and cables? Stupid question. For Earth! For Neo-Terra! And... Rule of cool.

The pack so far include Fenris, Aeolus, Deimos and Orion.

Q: Why no Leviathan?
A: Because current Leviathan was textured by other artists, and I cannot edit it's source files so easily.

Q: Fighters? Bombers?
A: I can make Perseus, Myrmidon and possibly Herc II if I ask Axem about the source files, but the other NTF fighters are awaiting for rework. There is no point in making reskins of outdated assets.

Q: How to use this?
A: Tables are not included, as they are reskins of MediaVPs models. Copy retail tables, add custom stuff from MediaVPs and enjoy the show.
A2: ...or do what Sarn did, and use Texture Replacement option in Fred.
A3: ...or use table-based texture replacement.

Q: Are they going to be included in MediaVPs?
A: I have no idea, but probably no

Q: Why the main folder in the package is named "****"?
A: Because, ehh... It's actually a package from my Knossos test mod. I forgot to rename it, and I'm too lazy to upload 200mb+ package again o__O.

Okay... The sceenshots!

All hail Neo-Terra! And pax Neo-Terra!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:03:33 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Re: [RELEASE] NTF Reskin Pack
I'll claim a copy of the Kill-a-Zod starter pack~

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Before reading the title of this thread, a dedicated NTF capital ship paint scheme would never have occurred to me. Before reading the content of this thread, I would have scoffed at the idea of a dedicated NTF capital ship paint scheme. Before seeing these screenshots, I would have said that the very idea of a dedicated NTF capital ship paint scheme would be silly and impractical.

I'd very much like to see these skins in action on a replay of the original FS2 campaign; I just might do that someday soon.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I followed the discussion on Discord and I really have to admit that those screenshots changed my mind. They look gorgeous and also match what you'd expect from a faction full of pride such as the NTF, with their huge logos painted on warships in order to mark even more the difference between Neo Terrans and the GTVA. A similar color scheme could be applied to spacecraft such as the Hercules, IMO.

I was reluctant at first, but I do believe these reskins should be part of the MVPs and featured in the main FS2 campaign. Many custom made campaigns would benefit from these additions, too.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I've been looking for a way to "subtly" distinguish the three NTF subfactions in The Lost Generation, these will do nicely for command ships of the Supremacist faction (the Initiated probably don't need one, because Iceni, and the Opportunists by design would not paint logos on their ships).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:35:29 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Love 'em! Excellent work. Putting them in a future MVP update gets my vote :-)

It is such an obviously good idea that it makes me wonder why we didn't think of it before, especially since there is precedent. For example, some mods have HoL reskins / paintjobs. Homeworld Cataclysm / Emergence has paint jobs to distinguish the imperial and republican Tiidan ships. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has different coloured versions of the same suits to distinguish between factions etc etc. There are probably other examples too.

Doh! Oh well, a they say hindsight is 20/20  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The term you're looking for is Visual Identification, and lots of games uses it exactly to distinguish factions and make them less generic and more memorable. I loved how Blizzard handled different Protoss factions in SC2.

I would want to include them in MVPs along with other, possible reskins in the future, but as I said before, it looks like too much ingeration in FS2 vibe in general.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Check my sig.

I approved this years ago.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Nifty!
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You forgot the Hecate.  True, there are no NTF Hecates seen in the main campaign, but I recall seeing one in a stand-alone multiplayer (I think) mission as ships are entering a node and you have to kill them all.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I can make NTF Hecate if there is a need for it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You forgot the Hecate.  True, there are no NTF Hecates seen in the main campaign, but I recall seeing one in a stand-alone multiplayer (I think) mission as ships are entering a node and you have to kill them all.

Rebel Intercept.

Best original co-op Misson.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Just dropping in to say these are great and I didn't know how much I wanted these until I saw them.
Hope they make it into mediaVPs (or at least some remix of FS2 like FreeSpace Blue). I don't think they're too big a departure, and it's not like there's no IRL/historical precedent for doing stuff like this anyway - either for propaganda purposes, or just for visual identification (friendly fire is bad!). HUD-based IFF is great and all but what if your sensors get shot out or otherwised jammed?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
DAMN these are gorgeous! The gold striping and white triangles is truly inspired. Yes, as a member of FSU I absolutely endorse using these in the MediaVPs. After all I did the same with the HoL in FSPort MVPs.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I can make NTF Hecate if there is a need for it.

Even though the NTD Corsica doesn't show up in the main FS2 campaign, I'd say to do it anyway.  :drevil:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

DAMN these are gorgeous! The gold striping and white triangles is truly inspired. Yes, as a member of FSU I absolutely endorse using these in the MediaVPs. After all I did the same with the HoL in FSPort MVPs.

IIRC the FSU policy was to keep non-canon reskins out of it, that's why for example the HOL skin for the Typhon was removed from it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Then perhaps we could petition the BP team to make it part of FS-Blue.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Yes, I would 100% like to see this in FSBlue.  :yes:
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Then perhaps we could petition the BP team to make it part of FS-Blue.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. I'm on board with yet another reason to replay FS Blue. :D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Could this be an optional feature in the media VPs? Then people who don't like them can simply opt out by not checking the box? Or would this cause problems?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]