Off-Topic Discussion > The Classics

Epic Bughunt Claims Sanity, Human Blood

<< < (3/15) > >>

The E:

--- Quote from: mjn.mixael on April 16, 2010, 03:18:34 pm ---I'm astonished. Truly. I would have given up hours and hours ago.

Maybe some sort of division error checking should be added to FSO... I'm not a coder so I don't even know if that is possible or plausible.

--- End quote ---

Yes, well, it was either that, or redoing the mission again from the ground up, hoping that the bug would not trigger, and also hoping that noone else would hit it. Neither of those options was one we wanted to take.
In addition, we had finally gotten a combination of assets that would trigger the bug reliably, that was an opportunity I couldn't let go.

As for the added error checking, I'm kinda astonished that this was not caught before. Modern CPUs are supposed to do just that and start screaming when something as stupid as this happens.

--- Quote from: Droid803 on April 16, 2010, 03:31:01 pm ---Oh, on a somewhat unrelated note, is this issue connected to the one where sometimes, upon re-trying a mission, the player ship is...gone?

--- End quote ---

No, probably not. The cause for this, and the resulting error, was very, very specific, and did not seem to be connected to the mission restart part of the code.

Commander Zane:
I'm trying to remember how this worked, but I recall times where I'd be far from the normal location of a mission (Like 100km), if I'm using padlock view and I activate afterburner the screen wigs out and the results are fairly similar, everything vanishes and the HUD locks on the corner, it takes screwing around while playing in the mission for it to happen but it's just something I recall.

Mongoose:
I knew I never used speed-matching for a reason...I just didn't realize the reason was that the engine has acquired its own "ghost." :p

Ravenholme:

--- Quote from: Mongoose on April 16, 2010, 04:22:31 pm ---I knew I never used speed-matching for a reason...I just didn't realize the reason was that the engine has acquired its own "ghost." :p

--- End quote ---

Likewise, but also because I'm fairly good at just adjusting the throttle on my joystick to match my target myself

>_>

(I admit, I didn't realise there was a match speed function, but I pro'ly wouldn't use it anyway)

Oh, I will say this - you guys are... dedicated. And that's an obscure retail bug, but at least it has now been put to the sword.

General Battuta:

--- Quote from: Ravenholme on April 16, 2010, 04:24:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: Mongoose on April 16, 2010, 04:22:31 pm ---I knew I never used speed-matching for a reason...I just didn't realize the reason was that the engine has acquired its own "ghost." :p

--- End quote ---

Likewise, but also because I'm fairly good at just adjusting the throttle on my joystick to match my target myself

>_>

(I admit, I didn't realise there was a match speed function, but I pro'ly wouldn't use it anyway)

Oh, I will say this - you guys are... dedicated. And that's an obscure retail bug, but at least it has now been put to the sword.

--- End quote ---

Given that the scenario here in question was a non-combat cruise, match speed is a pretty useful utility function no matter what your opinions of its use in combat may be.

In any case this was a combination of speed-matching with a pairing of events. Rather specific.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version