Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > FringeSpace

Crtique a Texture

(1/2) > >>

JGZinv:
Ok so in 2007 I wasn't where I am now Photoshop skills wise, but we had a need for a texture on a rather small
drone, say 1/4th the size of a fighter... or about 3 to 4 meters.

I recently dug this out of the dusty corner of my drive, thought about completing it. Realized I'm somewhat split on how I feel about it.
So here's your chance to punch holes in it or suggest improvements.

My main concerns are:

A. Is it faithful to the original (top) design?

B. What could be done better?

I'm aware the wing "block" is missing this was just a side-at-a-time thing...
Not sure about the tubes... never figured out a way to make 2D tubes look good without a lot of drop shadow.

Flipside:
The only nitpick I could have is that the black line looks like a groove in the original but is raised in the remake, but it's very minor and impossible to prove either way :)

JGZinv:
I was actually wondering that while I was staring at it a few minutes ago...  it would probably look better if it were normal mapped as a groove.

Here's the original side views of the thing for some perspective on what it looked like.

z64555:
The steels and greys look pretty good to me, but for some reason the greasy yellow screams "neglect" to me.

Not that you've neglected it, mind you, I mean that in a setting sense, it looks as if whoever was supposed to be taking care of it, didn't.

Flipside:
True, but in most space games, it seems that for all our technological gains, T-Cut and Chamois Leather are kind of like the Babylonian battery, ancient technology now lost to us ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version