Author Topic: Tachyon Installation problems....  (Read 9173 times)

Tachyon Installation problems....
Hi,

I used to play Tach many years ago and now I'd like to reinstall it from my CD but here's my problem. Autorun works fine and pops up but when I click Install Tachyon, nothing happens. In the process list, setup.exe shows up, but no matter how long I leave it there, it never starts. I tried running setup.exe directly from TFFSETUP folder on the CD but the same thing happens. After that I downloaded an ISO image to make sure that it wasn't a defect on the CD but again, setup.exe stalls. It doesn't even pop up. I can see it in the processes, but nothing happens. I try to install it under Win 7 x64 home fr edition and would like to hear a solution from someone that had this problem and solved it.

Thanks

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Tachyon Installation problems....
Not sure you're going to find someone else with the same problem. It might have happened way back in the day,
but we don't have tens of thousands to communicate with in order to ask.

Some thoughts though to start with.

Have you tried running the install exe using any of the compatibility modes?
Can you copy all the files locally to your drive, then run it?
If you have an ISO, can you mount it in daemon tools and run it?

I might be able to get you a downloadable installer if all else fails, but it sounds like some sort of
trigger or plugin is failing along the way. The question is what or which one?

It does work on x64 7 among several others, so this is a unique case.

As a side note, space.exe is the game, tachyon.exe is the launcher which you will have to run once.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Hi

Have you tried running the install exe using any of the compatibility modes?

Yes and nothing happened (admin and XP SP2 mainly in case you'd want to know)

Can you copy all the files locally to your drive, then run it?

Didn't try this

If you have an ISO, can you mount it in daemon tools and run it?

Yes and the same thing happens

I might be able to get you a downloadable installer if all else fails

What do you mean by downloadable installer...

Offline JGZinv

ie a not from disc or iso copy, actual download installer exe.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have another Tachyon question.

I recently reinstalled the game, ran the patch, the base wars arena mod and the Option 1 graphics mod. I configured the glide wrapper configurator like it said in the readme.

Everything's running okay, but how can I run the game in 1080p? I don't see an option for it in the glide menu. Another thing, the mouse won't go to the far right of the screen (1280 x 1024 selected in glide wrapper) so I can't select certain things in the in-game settings menu like object detail, draw distance and tex quality.  Is there a way to prevent this? If not, could you tell me what the max settings for the object detail, draw distance and tex quality are so I can put them into the tachyon.cfg.

Finally, how do I run the game windowed and if I were to install nglide on top of this glide wrapper configurator, would it be okay?

Thanks very much,

rocknroll237

Offline JGZinv

Well I can't answer everything as either I forgot or I'm not sure it's do-able.

The max res the game outputs is 1024x768, on any video card system it will probably stretch to fit your (probably) widescreen monitor.
The two mods were an effort to give us some options to stop the scaling and keep it 4:3 and manually specify a larger resolution.
Like on my Nvidia setup, yes the game will show up and stretch to fit on my 1920x1080 monitors, ain't pretty, but it's there. OR I can 4:3 it
and get the black bars.

As to the mouse thing, that's related to DirectX, I tried editing the actual Tach files to get larger resolutions and something similar happened.
Try a different resolution or different aspect ratio.

The detail settings you can set from in game in the options menu gui.

As discussed in the readme, you cannot run both wrappers at once, it creates all sorts of problems like your screen looking like a fuzzy television full of green bars.

I fixed the mouse issue with res=0 in tachyon.cfg.

This allowed me to change the settings in game but the game now has black borders, which I can live with.

If I were to uninstall the glidewrapper supplied with the graphics mod and use nglide instead, would that be okay?

Offline JGZinv

Should be yes. Just remember to delete the 3DFX dll if that was added via the first mod install so you don't mix the files.

Hi,

I used to play Tach many years ago and now I'd like to reinstall it from my CD but here's my problem. Autorun works fine and pops up but when I click Install Tachyon, nothing happens. . . . I try to install it under Win 7 x64 home fr edition and would like to hear a solution from someone that had this problem and solved it.

Thanks

I have this same problem with a brand new computer. Everything is freshly installed and seemingly updated by Windows. Setup.exe just hangs out in the process list. Did this ever get resolved? Is there a link to a forum post where manual install is described (because I'm not sure I can figure it out without some coaching).

I'd just like to add that nothing is already using setup.exe when I start. No firewall. I just click "install Tachyon" at the autorun page from the CD and click yes when windows "user account control" asks if I want that to make changes my computer. Then, nothing.

Thanks,
Randomoron
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:56:30 pm by randomoron »

Offline JGZinv

Hmm, so you're using the original CD?

What version of Windows?

Typically you can set the settings in the tachyon.exe launcher then run space.exe  and it should take off.

Yes, I kept the original CD. It's in very nearly pristine condition. I'm using windows 7 home premium, 64 bit.
I copied the CD contents to the hard drive and used tachyon.exe as you recommended. That worked. But when I clicked on space.exe or on "play game" within the tachyon.exe menu I get the error "please insert the correct CD rom, select OK, and restart the application." This error continues to happen if I follow its instructions.

This seems like an additional problem unrelated to the problem of installing using setup.exe. Does simply copying all the files to the hard drive solve the install problem?

Thanks for you help :D

Edit: I just restarted windows because I realized the setup.exe was still spinning its wheels. Space.exe started this time, but shortly after the screen went black the error "tachyon.cd file could not be found or opened" stopped everything. Could this be a file related to the CD key that setup.exe would have me input?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:24:06 am by randomoron »

Offline JGZinv

Well a couple things.

1. Copying the files over does not mean it's installed, just that you copied the CD contents to the drive.
You should have it installed (ie. a Novalogic / Tachyon folder in your Program Files directory).

2. This appears to be more of an error that for whatever reason, the launcher and space.exe is running the copy protection check
that the disc be in the CD drive, but it's not finding it.  All of what you said there relates to that.

Try installing the Tachyon Service Bay mod from fringespace.org in the downloads area, it applies the no-cd patch among other things.
That should solve it if it's just the CD check messing it up.  If you're confused about which part of the mod to use, start with the "maps and multiplayer
fix only."

Thanks! That patch (and the update recommended in the patch notes) did the trick!

Offline JGZinv

Good to hear. Generally there's folks in around 1 PM EST Sat and 2 PM EST Sundays in the multi server if you want to join.