Author Topic: FS2 1024 x 768 Graphics not working - Any Advice?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Mongusa

FS2 1024 x 768 Graphics not working - Any Advice?
Hi,

I would like to run FS2 at a higher resolution ie. 1024 x 768. From what I've read here that should be possible. I have gone into setup and have had FS2 detect available cards. It works fine when I use "Direct 3D - Primary Display Driver". However, when I use "3DFX Glide (SLI) (1024 x 768)" the opening movie doesn't work, and also my PC locks up within about 5 minutes. 

Machine config
Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz
640 MB Ram
NVidia GEForce2 400/400mx 32 MB Ram
40 GB hdd.

I have the appropriate Hi-res files (i.e. sparky_fs2.vp, etc.) What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have. 

Mongusa

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: FS2 1024 x 768 Graphics not working - Any Advi
Um. You can only run FS_Open at resolutions higher than 1024. And it has to be done via the FS_Open launcher.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline ZmaN

Um. You can only run FS_Open at resolutions higher than 1024. And it has to be done via the FS_Open launcher.

ahh he beat me to it....
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Mongusa

Re: FS2 1024 x 768 Graphics not working - Any Advice?
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I want to run at 1024 x 768. Running higher is OK too, but I would be happy to run at 1024.
I am also happy to install FSOpen if that's necessary.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
What version of FS2 do you have? You cannot run in the higher resolutions with vanilla FS2 unless you have sparky_hi.vp

Edit: If you have an eDonkey client, like eDonkey, eMule, ShareAza, or some others, then use the ed2k links on this page to get the vp's you may be lacking.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kbros/fs2/index.html

Offline Mongusa

I have sparky_hi_fs2.vp. Is that the right file? Also I don't have e-donkey client.

Actually the hi res will start running, but then it locks up and I'm wondering if I've got some setting wrong or something?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm not sure how well the GeForce 2 supports Glide to be honest. If it works with D3D, I'd stick to that :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
ooh. Meh I need to learn to read.

I never had the glide option with my GF2 card... an MX400. Use D3D. :nod:

Offline Mongusa

OK. I can just use D3D. If I install FS2 Open is that going to allow me to access high res or am I stuck at the lower resolution regardless because of graphic card. 

Also I have "zeckensack's Glide wrapper" installed. This may be what is allowing me to access Glide on the GeForce 2 MX 400.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, the Glide wrapper is causing the problem, it's pretty good, but not 100% foolproof, and FS2 Glide doesn't like it much :(

As for FSO, yes, you should be able to use the hi-res graphics with that, I'm not entirely sure why it's not giving you option in your current version, I remember something about registry entries way back, but I can't remember the details :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. I'd guess that running in D3D would take care of your problem. If it doesn't (actually regardless of whether it works or not) you should try FS2_Open.

Seeing as how this has dropped support for Glide you'd get the D3D8 and OpenGL options instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongusa

Installed FS2 Open. What a difference! Thanks for the advice!   :)