Author Topic: Joysticks  (Read 11461 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by PhReAk

excuse my ignorance, but where do XBCs plug into the PC?

it's USB. Cut open the cord, and splice a USB male plug into the wires. All the colours are the same, and yellow is unused.

I have it setup so I can use it on my PC, and still have the plug for the XB intact. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I use an old PS2 controller.  I'm not paying AU$200 for a decent joystick, and I'm not paying ANYTHING for a crap one, so $10 USB adapter it is.  It's got enough buttons to do everything but power management (I don't use most of the targetting functions, or the manual shield shenanigans).

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Raa

it's USB. Cut open the cord, and splice a USB male plug into the wires. All the colours are the same, and yellow is unused.

I have it setup so I can use it on my PC, and still have the plug for the XB intact. :)

oh.  i'd rather just get an adapter, since i'll **** that up.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yeah, that was my fear too, but I'm one of those 'why buy what you can make yourself' guys. :blah:

And I'm cheap :p

Either way, it works excellent.

It really depends on how "electronically adventurous" you are when it comes to modding a controller so it can be used on a pc.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Raa

i thought you said you sucked with it? :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That was the first day I was using it.

Since then, I managed 27 kills on STV on insane.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Raa

i would hope it works with IW2 since i use keyboard for that.

WASD for throttle
UHJK for pitch

and then there's the targeting/firing/navigation keys
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, I don't have it to tell you, but for FS2, I set it so the left analog stick steers the ship, the right analog stick controls the banking (what 7 and 9 would do on the keypad). a cycles through the prmaries, the black cycles secondaries. Y is countermeasures, though I always forge to use them, :p, white isafterburners. Right trigger is primary firing, left trigger is secondary firing, pushing the right analog targets in the reticle, pushing the left analog targets closest attacking hostile, and the up down left right s for shield management.

That still leaves x and B back and start to be programmed for more uses. :)

What's STV? How do you manage to do that? :wtf: It seems like your fingers would get tangled up with all the movements.

Originally posted by PhReAk

i would hope it works with IW2 since i use keyboard for that.

WASD for throttle
UHJK for pitch

*Cringes at the potential for carpal tunnel syndrome* >.<

I guess we all just have different preferences. I wish I could get the software on mine to work properly. My joystick seems a little "numb" when it comes to banking.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Oh, my Kingdom for an exclusivly Left Handed Joystick! Sure, only a small fraction of the population is left handed, and making an exlcusively left handed joystick would be an exercise in bad salesmanship, but does anyone know of a Joystick built purposefully for us South Paws?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Saitek Cyborg Evo I use is perfectly symmetrical except for the wrist rest, which can be re-configured for left-handed use.  It even has two identical sets of base buttons on either side of the stick.  It would probably be a good fit; see if you can find one in a computer store near you to try it out.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I will, thanks for that

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Logitech wingman force 3d.  same as the extreme 3d, but with force feedback.  great for mech games and space combat sims
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Do not, I repeat do NOT, buy that Wingman Force 3D.  It had a deadzone the size of Alaska, even with force feedback enabled.  Mine crapped out on me after a few months; every time I plugged it in and tried to calibrate, the thing started going haywire.  Plus, the button placement is sub-par.  If I can warn anyone away from any stick, it's that one. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Disagree with you completely Mongoose. I love my force 3d too :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've been using the Wingman for years, and I will agree that the deadzone can be a little dodgy, but it's far from terrible as long as you turn on autocentering. I'd recommend it as a perfectly functional and useable Joystick, it's not the best in the world, but for the price it does what it's made to do.

I've never found a joystick yet that the rotate calibration isn't a pain in the arse for though :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Maybe mine was just defective, then.  Either way, I thought it was far too chunky, and I disliked the button placement on top.  The only function I really liked about it was the throttle; it was the only place it bested my old, beloved MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, which I consider to be just about the greatest stick ever made. :D We Descenters get very picky about the layout of our sticks. :p The bottom line is, make sure you try out the stick beforehand if at all possible; you'll gain much greater satisfaction that way.

Also, if you do go the force feedback route, no matter how good the stick is, realize that you'll probably have to give up at least a little precision.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
it's too bad i can't get my MS Sidewinder 3D to work. :(

stupid XP ain't got no friggin gameport.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

My stick seems fine except for what I said before. Maybe they changed the newer one slightly?