Author Topic: Joysticks  (Read 11455 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Cobra
it's too bad i can't get my MS Sidewinder 3D to work. :(

stupid XP ain't got no friggin gameport.

XP can't "have" a gameport; what can is your sound card or a connector on your motherboard.  If you do have a gameport, XP handles the Sidewinder sticks beautifully with its built-in drivers.  I was rather angry when I found that my new Dell didn't have said gameport; I still have to check if the motherboard has any sort of connector for it, but I don't know exactly where to look.  Another option is picking up a cheap old soundcard, disabling it, and just using the gameport on that.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Anybody who uses force feedback in this game is doubtful at best when it comes to flying skills.

Wouldn't you just get used to playing with force feedback after a while?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by BlackDove
Anybody who uses force feedback in this game is doubtful at best when it comes to flying skills.

:nervous: I use it... for kicks...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by EtherShock
Wouldn't you just get used to playing with force feedback after a while?

No.

You either have every milisecond spare to concentrate on taking your target down or you're getting shaken senslessy into oblivion.

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Raa

:nervous: I use it... for kicks...

My thoughts exactly. :nod:
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I have had a Saitek X-45 for over a year now. Has run trouble free.

Sets up easily, and there's more than enough customisable controls on the thing to run an actual jet fighter.  

Throttle is exellent, and the best feature of the stick, worth using in combo with the mouse if you find the stick slow to respond, as some folks will when used to game pads.

It has a large stable base and comfortable grip, which was not designed with a child's tiny hands in mind.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is to have an adjustable spring tension on the main controller as there is on the throttle.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Cobra

stupid XP ain't got no friggin gameport.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
lol. Yeah, i tried not to comment on the fact that OSes don't have any physical ports, and that his is a hardware issue :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline mitac

It's probably been said before, but Logitech offers some pretty good joysticks for little money. :nod:
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by BlackDove

No.

You either have every milisecond spare to concentrate on taking your target down or you're getting shaken senslessy into oblivion.

What if it's more fun?

Anyways, wouldn't it mean you were a better pilot if you could concentrate and aim accurately despite distracting physical stimuli?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:nod: andreas has a point. not only is it a distracting stimuli and all that, it sure feels good on your hands. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by aldo_14

What if it's more fun?

Anyways, wouldn't it mean you were a better pilot if you could concentrate and aim accurately despite distracting physical stimuli?

Depends on what you define fun.

I like being pushed ot my limit. I like to win.

Wow, we got some real competitors here. I would think it would be more challenging with force feedback enabled. Once again, everyone has different tastes. Some may not want that real of a gaming experience or not enjoy it as much as they do without. I don't have force feedback so I would just have to move around in my chair if I wanted any, and I find I do that when I get really into it. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
got a gamepad with force feedback. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Thrustmaster Afterburner.

Love it.

Except for that one button.  You know which one.

Got it as a gift, would prefer the X-45.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 01:57:57 am by 2761 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:welcome: geniusiknowit :)

good joysticks are like the ones you see in Mechwarrior 4. ;)

Offline Cyker

Alright, sound off! What's everyone using now!!

My beloved Sidewinder 3D Pro has gone all funny on me again... I will probably have to open it up and re-solder yet another wire on the dang optical sensor.

Annoying because I just upgraded from an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ to a 64 3000+, and for some bizzare reason I can use the Sidewinder in digital mode again under Win2k!! (But sadly still not in Win98SE... CH Flightstick w/throttle or Thrustmaster wo/throttle mode only... *sniff*)

Tried playing with my brother's Thrustmaster Couger for a laugh, but I think it broke my wrist.  :eek: Than and there's these two big square depressions on my desk where it was sitting now (j/k - but **** me that thing is heavy!!!)

Maybe I should try and find a Precision Pro or something and hack the electronics into my Sidewinder... maybe a dual USB/Gameport Sidewinder 3D Pro! That would rock so much :D

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
* Hippo blink.

* Hippo turns off email notifications.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline CaptJosh

If I could just find the damn thing, I would be using my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. Eventually though, there's this VERY nice HOTAS setup I want to get. I think it's from Saitek, but I'm not sure. Last time I saw one, I was in a Comp USA.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.