Author Topic: RELEASE: One Day in Deneb  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
RELEASE: One Day in Deneb
Fresh from the release of my previous short campaign, Lost in the Mist, I've released an entirely original small mission. I did all the FREDDing on my own; so, no ripping of other campaigns, including even retail is made. Again, as before, no voice-acting, no custom assets, no custom scripts, no custom tables, etc.

This mission is about Alpha 2's preparing to study at Cygnus Prime when the invasion of Deneb commenced by the Neo-Terran Front.

Download it via Knossos:
https://fsnebula.org/mod/onedaydeneb

Requirements:
  • A newer version of the MediaVPs
  • Latest build of FSOpen
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: One Day in Deneb
Well, I've gone ahead and played it out of curiosity.

It's definitely better than Lost in the Mist. Flying around in a Loki is fun and the enemies weren't too difficult this time around.

Though, that being said, it was very very short, much shorter than I expected, topping at about 2 minutes.

Also there's a bug with Aquarius wing being friendly when they probably weren't supposed to be friendly. Check the ships for their Teams, you probably forgot to set them to Hostile.

Writing-wise, while it's nice to see actual dialogue as opposed to the near total silence of Lost in the Mist, the writing is... weird. Why are a parent and their child flying military fighters? If they're not part of the GTVA, why are you able to contact Allied Command? If you ARE in the GTVA, why do you go "sightseeing" with your father who happens to be in the same squadron as you? Why is your father in the same squadron as you?

My personal recommendations would be primarily working on making somewhat longer missions. The amount of stuff you put in these 2 minutes is alright, there just needs to be more than 2 minutes of it.

Lastly, I did manage to get this nice screencap of the NTD Jacobus jumping in:

Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: One Day in Deneb
Well, I've gone ahead and played it out of curiosity.

It's definitely better than Lost in the Mist. Flying around in a Loki is fun and the enemies weren't too difficult this time around.

Though, that being said, it was very very short, much shorter than I expected, topping at about 2 minutes.
This is done to start something small to get more experience, as what @The E said all the while before embarking more complex projects.

Also there's a bug with Aquarius wing being friendly when they probably weren't supposed to be friendly. Check the ships for their Teams, you probably forgot to set them to Hostile.
I'll resolve this in the next update.

Writing-wise, while it's nice to see actual dialogue as opposed to the near total silence of Lost in the Mist, the writing is... weird. Why are a parent and their child flying military fighters? If they're not part of the GTVA, why are you able to contact Allied Command? If you ARE in the GTVA, why do you go "sightseeing" with your father who happens to be in the same squadron as you? Why is your father in the same squadron as you?
It is possible that this "kid" is a SOC operative in the mid-to-late twenties planted to investigate his parents' links to Admiral Bosch's Neo-Terran Front. I assume he had evidence before going for a sightseeing with his dad. Unknowingly, his father anticipates his moves and called in the NTD Jacobus to deal with his "son," not aware of his true identity. The "kid"'s cover is blown, and the GTVA decides to sortie in ships to save the operative.

My personal recommendations would be primarily working on making somewhat longer missions. The amount of stuff you put in these 2 minutes is alright, there just needs to be more than 2 minutes of it.
I'll take that in mind for the next project, which will be influenced by the singleplayer campaign of the recently-released space combat game Star Wars: Squadrons.

Lastly, I did manage to get this nice screencap of the NTD Jacobus jumping in:

I'd like that screenshot :)
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...