Author Topic: Advent Rising  (Read 3888 times)

Has anyone played this title?  I want to find out a bit more about it before i invest my hard earned pennies.

Cheers guys :)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It's an incomplete game. Storywise and gameplay wise.

The beginning starts as a Halo ripoff of some sort. The game gets better as you get new "powers" but some of them are extremelly dificult to control in a battle situation. Also by the time you get the later powers, your character will be too overpowered. It's always nice to kick alien ass across the level (literally) but something challenging would be much better. So the game starts being a boring "play only for the storyline" bit which wouldn't be so bad if the plot made sense which it doesn't, this applies specially in the last levels, and if it actually ended. When you finish the last level, you are awarded a cutscene with a cliffhanger so large it makes FreeSpace 2's ending sound finished.

I don't advise this game to anyone (perhaps if they find the game for 5$ or something) unless they really like to kick alien ass across the level. It's a fun experience but as I said, not challenging and not worth paying when you can have better stuff to spend with.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Well I'd wait a while and get it via steem, if you're into that.  then again if you're one of those who won't touch Steem with a ten-foot pole (why, I ask) then see if you can get a used copy off of Ebay for cheap.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I pretty much agree with Ghostavo. The gameplay is dull and the story's surprisingly lame. The only part I really enjoyed (of both the game and its story) was actually the epilogue after the end credits, but maybe that's just because I love cliffhangers.

I'd still buy the sequel if it's ever made, though.

thanks guys - i mainly got interested when i ran across the plot on wiki.  Ill wait a bit and buy it when its out on budget (or blag it off a mate lol)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Well, to be honest, the gameplay starts being dull because of the storyline.

Spoiler ahead.

Spoiler:
Afterall, who can beat a god?! You've got powers so ridiculous that it's insane. Ability to stop/slowdown time, super strength, ultra powerful telekinetic abilities, ability to throw energy/elemental projectiles around, etc...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:55:10 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Centrixo

its crap. absoutle bollocks, and i dont say that lightly your right about halo rip.

id rather play sin episodes, atleast that has some sort of meaning by killing the bad guy who injected you with a experimental drug to turn you into a alien!
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I just read over the story in the wiki. Seems like a cool idea.

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Well ok this isent the best game ever, but I must say its definetly worth the money (or if you find it on some illegal site :eek: )

From the description on steam:

A common legend pervades the galaxy-that of a powerful, highly intelligent ancient race that will one day deliver the universe. They are known as Humans.

Some claim they are the messiah. Others believe they exist only in the imaginations of the young. The Seekers, however, know Humans exist and believe they are an enemy that must be destroyed. Under the guise of benevolent explorers, Seekrs comb the universe and eradicate any Human colonies they find. Until now.

Working with award-winning science fiction author Orson Scott Card, GlyphX Games has created a gripping storyline that will thrust gamers into an incredible intergalactic saga.

The Advent of Humanity Begins...
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Anything that Orson Scott Card has touched turns to steaming dog feces.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Is this game a trilogy, i read some where that it was ment to be one? i haven't played the game but i have got the soundtrack which i have to say is very good, buy the way which version are we on about Xbox or PC thats if theres any difference between to 2?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Is this game a trilogy, i read some where that it was ment to be one? i haven't played the game but i have got the soundtrack which i have to say is very good, buy the way which version are we on about Xbox or PC thats if theres any difference between to 2?

Yeah, I believe it was intended as a trilogy but didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Apparently they're still planning on following up the trilogy, just not any time soon.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yes, because we all know how succesfull trilogy games ending with a cliffhanger are at getting sequels.......

Offline neoterran

What do you mean by that ? I quite enjoyed his enderverse novels...
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

That's your problem. But basically it's come down to the fact the man has no real conception of how anything would work. After you grew up with stuff like Beserker, Ender's Game is a giant step backwards.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline neoterran

That's your problem. But basically it's come down to the fact the man has no real conception of how anything would work. After you grew up with stuff like Beserker, Ender's Game is a giant step backwards.

I suppose that's why it won both the Hugo and Nebula awards and it's sequel did too.

to each his own. And when did you grow up ? Enders game came out in the late 70's.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"