Author Topic: Feature idea: Option to restore orders info for enemies  (Read 1639 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Feature idea: Option to restore orders info for enemies
I was just checking out the new nightly today which fixed the no extra target info bug (Am I right it's 'Asarium' we have to thank? Huge thanks for that :yes:) and it made me think. When a ship is an enemy that information (such as it's current order or whether it is docking) is hidden from the player; How possible would it be to add a SEXP option for restoring the extra information? Thought it might suit a mission where the author wants to simulate enemy communications being hacked, or a force with good AWACS coverage, without having to fill the mission with messages.

I do see one issue with this idea is you'll get unusual extra information at times (for example, a lot of the ship manoeuvring in BP would likely show the ships as 'time to waypoints'). A nice additional feature if it's feasible would be an 'alt. order information' SEXP so you can tell it to put up a given different description when the ship is performing that action? So in the BP example you can say if a specific ship is following a specific waypoint path will instead put 'Attack Churchill' or 'advance on Meridian' etc.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Feature idea: Option to restore orders info for enemies
This would also be really useful for determining why AI acts weird sometimes, if you could just select it and see what it's trying to do.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Axem's debug menu script lets you do this for debug/design purposes right now if you're just looking to use it in a dev capacity.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Where can I get this Axem debug menu that Battuta said?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There's an option in the builtin debug console to show the targeted ships AI/orders. I can't remember the exact command though, something like display_target_info (??)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...