Author Topic: Beam Free all discrepancy?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Beam Free all discrepancy?
Now that 3.6.10 seems to be working OK in TBP I picked up working on an old mission written in an older 3.6.10 build.  Mission was was just about ready for final testing when I left off.  Played it today and noticed that when a ship warped in it wasn't firing it's main beams but was firing it's anti-fighter beams and cannons.  Double checked and the mission is set to all ships beam free by default.  Initial orders for the ship were just waypoints.  Tossed in a lower priority attack order on the cap and tried it again.  Beams fire just fine.  Now the thing is I know this was working just fine in the older 3.6.10 build since it needs those beams to kill the cap before it runs over it.  Has something changed that would cause the beams not to fire without the attack order? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Re: Beam Free all discrepancy?
Ya know i noticed that a while back too with TBP. I know i was using a 3.6.10 build but it was pretty random when the main beams wouldn't fire. I didn't change any orders or anything and i gave each ship their own beam free after warp in. it *may* have something to do with AI level. One thing i would notice too is some times they would power up but never fire, like maybe the firing arc is too narrow if its the fixed guns. But if i recall, every ship that had a moving turret would fire ok. Like the excalibur, always had a hell uva time to get its primaries to fire but the moving turrets always worked.

Oh, that's why some of the BP missions seemed so badly FREDded to me. I thought I was missing out on something.

i just thought of another thing. Cap ships some times tend to fixate on sub systems. I was messing around with one of trash man's models and i noticed it kept shooting at the beam turrets on the ravana. That could also affect it if its trying to shoot at a sub system thats out of the firing arc

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
That doesn't explain why a 3.6.10 build from 6 months ago resulted in the exact same behavior without attack orders as the cap with attack orders in current builds.  It never even fired them when it was pushing the enemy ship with them.  Picture Narn cap being pushed by an Omega.  No way it's out of the firing arc or anything like that. 

It was easy enough to get around but I'm wondering what else this could effect.  I'll make a test mission one of these days with just the caps in it and see what happens in 3.6.9.  I'm over the 100 ship limit so I can't just run it in 3.6.9.  And no it's not a BOE just minefields take up a lot of ship spaces. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

yeah i understand what you're saying...

btw a lil off topic, do the 3.6.10 builds all support more ships? (i guess the more recent ones anyway)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I put that mission into 3.6.10 back in late March so it's been over 100 since then. 

Strange if I pull the 2 caps out of the mission and dump them into a test mission the beams fire just fine without the attack order.  Tested in single as well in 3.6.9 and 3.6.10. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:24:59 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Hmm I don't want to start a new topic, so I put this here.

As far as I know this was possible in FS open 3.6.9 Picture: http://shadowmoon.mine.sk/iamges/beams.JPG

But in FS open 3.6.10 it has a bug. Only Colossus was firing from beams and the Vasudan ship was just flying around...

Both ships have orders to attack each other and priority set to 50...

Hmm so Do I have to set event for each ship in 3.6.10 ?

And one more thing.

I have mediavp's 3.6.10 even FRED is 3.6.10 you can see it here: http://shadowmoon.mine.sk/images/heh.JPG But on the first picture I see there Fred 3.6.9 ????

Could you explain it ??? Bcs I don't understand this whole thing now...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:50:42 am by Jouzin »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Is the vasudan ship present in the mission? Cause the beam-free-all SEXP only works on ships which have already arrived. Most people prefer to use the option in the Mission Specs Editor to beam free all everything as that means that all ships will have beams regardless of whether or not they have already arrived.

As for the 3.6.9 thing. What do you mean first picture you see is 3.6.9?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline eliex

Just adding to karajorma's post, if you want to manually beam-free the Vasudan ship and it arrives some point throughout the mission, you'll have to make an event like this:
When
--> Arrived Delay
-- Vasudan Cruiser
--> Beam-Free-All
-- Vasudan Cruiser.

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Just adding to karajorma's post, if you want to manually beam-free the Vasudan ship and it arrives some point throughout the mission, you'll have to make an event like this:
When
--> Arrived Delay
-- Vasudan Cruiser
--> Beam-Free-All
-- Vasudan Cruiser.

Yeah I know this :)

To Karajoma: YEs it is present from the beginning. Hmm I didn't notice this feature in Mission Specs Editor but now yeah it is there...

And to your question: On my first picture you can see in the top left corner FRED 3.6.9 But  in second picture you can see that I have installed fred2_open_3_6_10r-20081210_r4989.exe.  So is there any bug???

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
When
--> Arrived Delay
-- Vasudan Cruiser
--> Beam-Free-All
-- Vasudan Cruiser.

that won't actually work with a 0 second delay
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline eliex

*Creates a scenario to test this

In the test, a Deimos arriving 10 secs into the game with an event exact to the one I suggested (with VC changed to Deimos) had it's beams unlocked without ticking the beam-free function in Mission Specs.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When
--> Arrived Delay
-- Vasudan Cruiser
--> Beam-Free-All
-- Vasudan Cruiser.

Yeah it will. Sometimes.

I don't think anyone has ever tracked down why it sometimes doesn't work but most of the time, it will.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
just saying that a 1 second delay works all the time, and a 0 second delay doesn't... a 0 second delay can also result in beam effects appearing from turrets that aren't out of subspace too
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW