Author Topic: PC gamepad with lots and lots of buttons?  (Read 62654 times)

Offline iieeann

Re: PC gamepad with lots and lots of buttons?

I have a P880 wired one sitting next to me, looks exactly the same. Borrowed it from a friend, love it, hoping to get one for Christmas.

Hmm... However Saitek gamepad is not very ergonimic, while holding it is not convenience at all to place 2nd and 3rd fingers at the 2 shoulder buttons each side.  If you need only 1 shoulder button at 1 time then it is ok.

Both the analog ministicks are too much extruded out.  Thumb strain if playing long hour.

DPAD has over sensitive issue and not adjustable.  happened 10% of the time, when i press and release the dpad will perform more than 1 action; and sometimes it repeats indefinitely.  This never happened with the old Logitech gamepad.

That's why I asked for a Logitech  :P

I only have used it for racing games, which is what I wanted it for in the first place. Nitro + handbrake on the shoulder button, shifter assigned the the stick buttons
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline iieeann

LOL... just found an interesting gamepad.  I can't even count the number of buttons on it.  The Elecom 16 buttons gamepad is blown away.

Official website at http://www.gamtecstation.com/details.asp?ID=2139
China product.  Not sure about software & support.  Too bad it is wired.
They have over 100 gamepads + controllers, some are interesting.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:55:59 am by iieeann »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i went and ordered me one of the cheep chinese made ps2 gamepad clones for the pc. it cost me a whole 8 bucks (and the shipping was free). but i mainly bought it for console emulation and as something portable for my laptop bag.

LOL... just found an interesting gamepad.  I can't even count the number of buttons on it.  The Elecom 16 buttons gamepad is blown away.

China product.  Not sure about software & support.  Too bad it is wired.
They have over 100 gamepads + controllers, some are interesting.

good find. might actually make freespace playable on a game pad.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

It looks a bit like a radio. :wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
i went and ordered me one of the cheep chinese made ps2 gamepad clones for the pc. it cost me a whole 8 bucks (and the shipping was free). but i mainly bought it for console emulation and as something portable for my laptop bag.

Why go for a PS2 clone when you can have the real thing. Get an adapter like mine, then you can also use PS2 joystick, steering wheels, light guns and various other PS2 peripherals.

Heck I even used an Eye toy as a web cam for a while, but that didn't need the adapter, it has a USB connection.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Why go for a PS2 clone when you can have the real thing

8 bucks

also the fact that i didnt want to carry around an adapter.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Well that adapter is $7.70 But that was the first adapter I found online here in the UK.

As for carrying an adapter round, well it just adds a foot length of lead to the gamepad lead and if you happen to have a plethora of PS2 game controllers, like I do, then I think this would be the best route. But you have bought a gamepad now so..........................     :blah:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:59:50 am by Wobble73 »

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You could always get a Steel Battalion controller. Pretty sure they got that working with PC.

Offline iieeann

Know anything about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/NYKO-TECHNOLOGIES-80650-Airflow-Controller/dp/tech-data/B0006NGY9C/ref=de_a_smtd

This product is obsolete, i think 4-5 years old and supports until XP only.  It is not compatible with Win7, but I am not absolutely sure if there is other way that may make it work.

It has 13 programmable buttons, so it is extra 1 button compared to mainstream gamepad.

Another company that make gamepad with more buttons than normal is Speed-Link.  Look for the previous generation gamepad (strike 2 etc).  Latest Strike 3 series is of retarded design with less buttons, joining the group with Logitech and Saitek.

One of the main reasons of less button design nowadays is because of compliance to the newer Microsoft Xinput (xbox 360) standard which works natively on both xbox and PC.  Gamepad with many buttons normally uses DirectInput which has no major change since DirectX 8.

A quote from wiki about Xinput vs Directinput:-

" XInput supports maxima of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. "
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:27:16 am by iieeann »

Offline Topgun

Know anything about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/NYKO-TECHNOLOGIES-80650-Airflow-Controller/dp/tech-data/B0006NGY9C/ref=de_a_smtd

This product is obsolete, i think 4-5 years old and supports until XP only.  It is not compatible with Win7, but I am not absolutely sure if there is other way that may make it work.

It has 13 programmable buttons, so it is extra 1 button compared to mainstream gamepad.

Another company that make gamepad with more buttons than normal is Speed-Link.  Look for the previous generation gamepad (strike 2 etc).  Latest Strike 3 series is of retarded design with less buttons, joining the group with Logitech and Saitek.

One of the main reasons of less button design nowadays is because of compliance to the newer Microsoft Xinput (xbox 360) standard which works natively on both xbox and PC.  Gamepad with many buttons normally uses DirectInput which has no major change since DirectX 8.

A quote from wiki about Xinput vs Directinput:-

" XInput supports maxima of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. "

Well that sucks.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Well that adapter is $7.70 But that was the first adapter I found online here in the UK.

As for carrying an adapter round, well it just adds a foot length of lead to the gamepad lead and if you happen to have a plethora of PS2 game controllers, like I do, then I think this would be the best route. But you have bought a gamepad now so..........................     :blah:

you still have to buy the controller.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wobble73

• Steam

you still have to buy the controller.

and if you happen to have a plethora of PS2 game controllers, like I do,

:p

Offline iieeann

Just got the Thrustmaster gamepad today (2nd hand).  The gamepad does not come with button mapping software (the manufacturer provides just the basic driver for download).
i end up have to look for 3rd party program.  First the Xpadder, does not support 7-axis gamepad so failed to map the gamepad properly, money wasted...
2nd is Pinnacle Game Profiler, double price of Xpadder but it is working perfectly.  The gamepad is supported with exact image in profiler.

Programmable buttons are 16, not bad huh.  Not ergonomic if you ask me.  L2, L3, R2, R3 are located at odd positions and not comfortable to reach.  I still feel much better holding the old logitech cordless rumble pad.
Here the picture is .  You ask me what the 2 motor-like items are ? Definitely my favourite to remove them from gamepad the first day - the vibrating motors.  I don't need them no more.  With this i removed also 40g of weight.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont get why they use such large motors in game pads. it just needs to vibrate enough to give some feedback, not to cause a ****ing earthquake. motors 1/4 that size or less would suffice.

7 axis? does it have a throttle slider somewhere?

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Topgun

i dont get why they use such large motors in game pads. it just needs to vibrate enough to give some feedback, not to cause a ****ing earthquake. motors 1/4 that size or less would suffice.

its a ps3 controller so it has all that motion stuff

Offline iieeann

There is a progressive wheel near dpad.  Slider under PC mode, XL axis under PS3
I map the wheel to 2 buttons function.

Another 2 Trigger. XR & YR axis under PC. L2 & R2 under PS3

L2 & R2 for PC is underneath the gamepad.  Not sure the function for PS3

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Here the picture is .  You ask me what the 2 motor-like items are ? Definitely my favourite to remove them from gamepad the first day - the vibrating motors.  I don't need them no more.  With this i removed also 40g of weight.

I thought motion vibration in controllers were mild electric jolts. I didn't expect them to use real motors. Real, big, heavy motors. I don't really like motion vibration that much anyway. It's an annoyance everywhere except on my phone, which is forever in Silent Mode.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Davros

Q: do you love me
A: yes you do

why
behold the Veho Mimi MIMI-KEY-003

User definable hot keys
Motion sensing air mouse
LED indicators for battery status
Trusty 8-way D-pad
Charging via mini USB port
HTPC supported
True wireless technology
Ergonomic gamepad with 2 analog joysticks and digital buttons