Author Topic: About the Colonial warheads...  (Read 9631 times)

About the Colonial warheads...
Beautiful render at your main website of the Colonial warheads, and I thank you for them.

I noticed that one looks distinctly like a bomb.  Am I correct on this, and if so, are we going to have battles over the surfaces of planets?  And if there are surface battles, will the bomb behave according to gravity and be influenced by wind and whatnot? 

That would be pretty mind blowing!   

Keep up the great looking work.

Yours,
Kyle
 :)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: About the Colonial warheads...
That bomb is the Colonial nuke we saw in S1 finale, or a close approximation of it. Yea, it looks kinda WW2 but that's pretty much how it was in the show too.

Ahh, so that's what it is.  Thanks for the clarification. 

:yes:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It actually looks much like a contemporary iron (dumb) bomb, apart from having somewhat swept-forward wings. Modern real nuclear weapons have a distinctive shape to them (at least American weapons such as the rather archaic B57 or the newer B61).

Here's a good question though, as seen on the Tyllium processing plant raid in the first season, Adama uses conventional weapons in a "tossing" manner to blow the facility-a maneuver which requires some degree of gravity. Would it be possible for large objects, such as asteroids/small moons (something large but not so large that FreeSpace can't simulate it) or even some vessels to have gravitational affects? These affects might not neccessarily affect the spacecraft as its artificial stability system might appear to make that gravity negligable... unless you want a full-blown semi-Newtonian gravity model. Which in most cases is unlikely. But then again, you never can tell...

As far as OTHER weapons go (not to move too far from topic), I've noted that there has been some discussion in the past pertaining to what possible weapons the "Blackbird" could carry without straying too far from canon. As seen in show (I've not seen that episode), the ship does not seem to have a gun/cannon of sorts. Would it be possible for the vessel to carry a single/twin MEC-A6 gunpod in place of a heavy weapon missile?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
I dont think such gravity effects are possible, at least not on asteroids and such. A coder/scripter could answer that question better though.

As for Blackbird's armament, the only weapons we've seen here carry were the missile Lee used in taking out the Resurrection ship's ftl. Since the ship's unique, and we ever only saw her being flown three times (I think), I dont think there's much room for us to make such armament changes. It doesn't even make much sense, the Blackbird clearly isn't a dogfighter and would have little use for guns.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
The blackbird does have some gunlike things on the front sides which could be a basis for KEWs.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Image:Blackbird_FotP.JPG?
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Check back over the episode, and see if you can spot any gun parts in the chief's workshop as he's putting it together ;)

Also, nice work on the weapons, Lt. C! Can't wait to see the Cylon selection too. Mmm, glowing...
<><

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I'm not saying they are guns, just that the model itself has points which can easily be converted to guns if the team wants to.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Fair enough. I thought Lt. C's reservation was due to canonical concerns, and presumed the models weren't so much a limitation, as the team makes them how they like.
<><

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I dont think such gravity effects are possible, at least not on asteroids and such. A coder/scripter could answer that question better though.

As for Blackbird's armament, the only weapons we've seen here carry were the missile Lee used in taking out the Resurrection ship's ftl. Since the ship's unique, and we ever only saw her being flown three times (I think), I dont think there's much room for us to make such armament changes. It doesn't even make much sense, the Blackbird clearly isn't a dogfighter and would have little use for guns.

What happened to the Gravity code LuaPineapple worked on ( some 6 months ago ) for BtRL??

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Fair enough. I thought Lt. C's reservation was due to canonical concerns, and presumed the models weren't so much a limitation, as the team makes them how they like.
Yep, canonical problems are my biggest concern on giving guns to the Blackbird. I'm fairly sure most of the team agrees with me there.

What happened to the Gravity code LuaPineapple worked on ( some 6 months ago ) for BtRL??
I'm not sure how well that stuff was working. Though as I said, I'm not the one to answer code/scripting questions :)

Enki

I think gravity should be addable.  I remember reading some of Lua's stuff a long time ago but don't remember much about it. 

The physics file looks a little less intimidating than some of the others.  I have some rough ideas of the kinds of things that can be done, but how to implement in this engine will be the issue.  I have ideas for both selectable asteroids (CofMass point sources) and flight decks (field related).  I think the field version would probably even be adaptable to magnetics.

@kara and team  Would this be a better thing to attempt rather than sticking my nose into Taylor's pilot file update process?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. I think it probably would be.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm...

I have a question about deploying the "conventional Colonial nuke" (aka the bomb). Seeing as gravity is only a consideration, how are we supposed to deploy it? At this point, the only practical way of launching it I precieve that exists is to fly in a straight line (or as soon as the fighter has no "slip") as fast as possible, launch it, and then pull up to avoid hitting the weapon with your own ship (to make sure you don't blow up in a firey blast when it's armed OR knock it off course in general). I envision this way of operation as this particular nuke has no visible powerplant/motor/engine/etc. Thus, the nuke could only go as fast as the top speed of your fighter (by the way, will you have afterburners or "boost" in Diaspora?).

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Enki

Slip in space is a non-issue.  No weird airflow to cause separation problems. So as long as the ejector ejects the bomb off the rack it will fly straight, even if it is flying cockeyed!

And AB is part of the Freespace engine, as well as canon in BSG, so yes it will be in there.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Pardon the terminology.

What I meant by "slip" is the drift after a maneuver before whatever control system can put the space ship back in a linear flight path. Seeing as Diaspora/BtRL uses "semi-Newtonian" physics, there is indeed a small-to-medium amout of drift after a hard maneuver. This means that if you're shooting a projectile with no powerplant, it will continue to go in the direction the ship was last moving; if you're drifting, the projectile will NOT go where it was aimed in the sights.

-Thaeris

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Enki

Yup.  Always a problem with dumb bombs.  At least in-game you also don't have to worry about collimination and eye position causing aim error as well.  But then we are talking about nucs and in general. close is good enough.  :lol:

Offline Snagger

Yup.  Always a problem with dumb bombs.  At least in-game you also don't have to worry about collimination and eye position causing aim error as well.  But then we are talking about nucs and in general. close is good enough.  :lol:
Probably not in space - no blast wave, remember - you'd need a direct hit to achieve much against the cap ships.

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
I'm not saying they are guns, just that the model itself has points which can easily be converted to guns if the team wants to.

About the blackbird, if you read wikipedia it says that the blackbird has no armaments, but it does have a hard point to which a missile could be attached.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Blackbird#Armament

Offline Snagger

About the blackbird, if you read wikipedia it says that the blackbird has no armaments, but it does have a hard point to which a missile could be attached.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Blackbird#Armament

Remember that Wikipedia is not a quality controlled resource- anyone can write any old drivel on there, and it would only be removed (eventually) if proven inaccurate.  Don't treat it as an accurate information site.