Author Topic: Supreme Commander 2  (Read 19449 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Remember SecuROM? Started out as nothing more than a particularly thorough (and, as we all know, partially broken) disc checking mechanism.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This is true. Having to have the disk in the drive is perhaps one of the oldest tricks in the book, but that in itself probably stemmed from the fact that early computers couldn't deal with having all the information on the disk transferred to the HD. Of course, I've not bought a "new" game since... when?

...The last things I bought were FS1 & 2 from GOG, which, thank God, doesn't have any DRM stuff. My post was mainly with regards to music CDs, which I do enjoy having...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

...The last things I bought were FS1 & 2 from GOG, which, thank God, doesn't have any DRM stuff. My post was mainly with regards to music CDs, which I do enjoy having...

I was talking about CDs too...

SOOOOO, how is SC2? I had to tie myself to the chair to stop myself from running out to buy it.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Haven't played it or the demo, but I've been hearing its a simplified, streamlined, more generic RTS, rather than a true sequel to Supreme Commander.  Some guy on another forum said you can have multiple nukes inside of twenty minutes in SupCom2 :ick:.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Haven't played it or the demo, but I've been hearing its a simplified, streamlined, more generic RTS, rather than a true sequel to Supreme Commander.  Some guy on another forum said you can have multiple nukes inside of twenty minutes in SupCom2 :ick:.

I never enjoyed uber weapons like nukes and stuff. It just turns into a race to see who can get one first.

A race I always lose, incidently.

Offline Mikes

DRM on physical Media nowadays is usually a LOT worse than Steam ...
I will happily buy a game on Steam, if it means i can avoid the Securom/Rootkit infested Retail version.

The exception to the rule are EA games... some of which install Securom on top, even when you do get the Steam version (LOL).

Aside from that, yeah, not just games DVDs are DRM infested, a lot of "music CDs" will start installing all kinds of crap as well when you put em into the drive of a PC.
The big Rootkit/DRM scandal Sony was involved in a few years back  (i.e. the socalled "Sony Rootkit) actually was about a music CD, not a game, if i remember right.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:51:08 pm by Mikes »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

It's not a bad game. I actually prefer that most matches feature experimental shootouts and ridiculously huge explosions; the concept of attritional warfare that decided most SupCom 1 matches is neither fun nor interesting, no matter how effective.

The unit names however tend to make me wince a bit.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I tried the demo, courtesy of Steam(yeah I know I called it spyware), and it's not bad.  The Experimentals are cool, particularly the submersible aircraft carrier.  However, I am troubled by how weak the emplacement defenses are, the AA particularly.  Takes several seconds for even a cluster of them to kill an aircraft, mean while the NPC's IDENTICAL structure shred my units.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
do you have sufficient radar coverage?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm not really sure what I should say. From the viewpoint of a player who really enjoyed the first part and the addon, both in looks and gameplay, I can only say, I'm god damn angry I bought the game before playing the demo. Usually I know the demo is always a little less good then the game, and I thought how bad can it be compared to SC1 that I enjoyed so much. On the screenshots I checked out I didn't notices my main concern of the graphics (see below). If you are going to see it compared to SC and SCFA, it really sucks. The gameplay started with Total Annihilation and continued in Supreme Commander is gone more or less, at least economy wise.

The economy is now pretty uninteressting. In the old games you were able to run multiple constructions jobs, no matter if you can provide the ressources, it just took longer. Now it's more like the "standard" games, if you have the ressources on the account, you can build. Starting a buld job, removes the ressources instantly. That disabled also to queue unit building above your account.

Building four Mass Extractors and four energy generators (no more T1 to T3 :( ) is usually quite enough.  The Battles itself are more or less the same and still make fun, though it could use some tweaking in unit strengths. Upgrading buildings with weapons is a nice touch, always liked that in the "earth2150" games :)  So, in short, for someone who isn't totally hooked into TA and SC gameplay, this game can be quite fun. For anyone else who expected a worthy offspring from the first part, it's pure dissapointment :(

However, there is one point, that really is bad for both faction of players, and that's the graphic. While the terrain and leveldesign is quite neat, the unit textures are simply god awful and nearly made my eyes bleed (especially compared to SC and SCFA). To quote someone from the official forums, "the textures look like being created by a 4 year old kid using MS Paint". Furbar ! I'm not quite sure if the polygon count on the units have been lowered or raised, it simply goes lost under these ugly textures, you do not even want to scroll in anymore

Well, I've have only played the first 5 Missions sofar, but I don't think I will play this one any further. It's also very easy, the only thing still missing is a "I WIN" button in the interface to successfully complete the missions, that would save you at least time. Maybe it's getting harder in later stages, but I'm not going to find that out :)

So, in short, if you are looking for a nice RTS game to while away some time, it's a satisfying game. Especially, since there are not much on consoles afaik. But if you want something more intense , grap Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, on modern machines you can run it on highest settings and have a lot of fun (I Do Love the amazing overpowered nukes, also that it took ages to build one) :)

Send in a wing of strategic bombers to nail down strategic missiles defenses, then lauch four or five nukes at the enemy base. Rotate the camera to side view and enjoy the fire works (especially if the enemy commander goes up too in the blast)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Does it need internet validation? Or can I just buy the thing, install it, and play?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
So i take it that it is true what most people are saying in reviews, that the game has been completely and utterly dumbed down for console players (not my words  :nervous:) and is a very poor on the terms of unit design and scale. I was hoping that the full game might not of been as bad as the demo, Oh well looks like i will have miss this one and go for DOW 2 Chaos Rising and DA Awakening to keep my occupyed until starcraft 2 comes out  :nervous:. Which is a shame because i loved the first Supreme Commander. Don't know why that they couldn't have just kept this on the PC because it ain't really meant for consoles, I'm not having a go at them because i have an 360. I just think RT S's don't really work on them
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Dekker, SupCom2 uses Steam, and everything that goes with it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
* Colonol Dekker cancels purchase before leaving for work.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mikes

Well i just finished the campaign... let's just say "But Sir, my wife is Illuminate! ....... is actually a brilliant piece of story telling compared to what comes after ....

Spoiler:
I.e. Final Cybran campaign:

FIRST Mission:
You: "But ... ! I have sufficient mass, i have an army! I could fight him!!! ..." (Yes... your character actually spells it out ... to really make sure that you don't miss the stupidity that follows.)

Brackman (i.e. Cybran leader, abbreviated): No my son, you have to recover the data and flee and leave the all powerful alien supership terraformer that s older than the Seraphims and can destroy entire planets in the hands of the bad guy (i.e. actually the annoying Cybran from the demo is the main antagonist of the game), but no worries, he is SURELY not smart enough to figure it out!"

".... uh... but...."

Brackman: "Go now my child! I have activated the bases self destruct sequence".

You "Ack! Ok ok!" /runs for portal.

4 utterly pointless missions later:
(example of the most pointless mission ever: Oh we dropped on this unknown planet short of our destination, whats here? Uhm... thats wierd, an enemy base but its procuding nothing but engineers that try to take over your base .... Brackman: "How INTERESTING (egad! /PUKE LOL) we MUST study it!!! ....   (i.e. waltz through with 2-4 experimental spiders and cap a building at the end - no other units necessary.))

FINAL Mission: You end up going back to the same f***** place where the Cybran campaign started.... : Brackman: "oh no, the evil bad guy just (yes... JUST) launched Shiva (i.e. the alien super Terraformer again... you know.... that thing that dropped out of nowhere and was explained even quicker than Maddox's Illuminate wife and defection in the demo LOL.)!

He must have figured it out after all! How suprising! (Yes seriously.... how f****** surprising You genius of a writer!) Quick you must follow him and stop him!"

You: /bang head against wall repeatedly.

Think one can't top that in stupidity? Well let's see....  let's quickly sum up the Aeon/Illuminate campaign (comes before the Cybran one):

Aeon campaign mission 1-4 = you are an Illuminate terrorist fighting to overthrow the wicked Aeon government because they are allied with the UEF and the Cybran now; mission 5: oups we helped the bad guy nuke an Illuminate City! = change of heart!  Mission 6: Weeee i'm one of the good guys now! All my political ideas are forgotten and i fight for the establishment now! Why?!?!? Well because i helped the bad guy nuke a city by.... ACCIDENT, HE TRICKED US! Its sooooooo UNFAIR! (At the start of the mission where the city gets nuked ... the bad guy ... - you know, that unmotivated Cybran prick from the demo that always fills in as antagonist here antagonist there - actually commented what he would like to do with the place and nukes if it wasn't defended like it was ... )

And the UEF and Cybran guy (i.e. the player characters from the other campaigns) of course welcome the Aeon terrorist with open arms and trust her because ...... (wait for it.... this is no joke) .... THEY WERE ALL BUDDIES BACK IN SCHOOL!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:00:51 pm by Mikes »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Spoiler:
Who the **** they did hire to write their story? Oh wait...
Honestly, it makes me sick to see this kind of garbage from paid developers.

Offline Mikes

Spoiler:
Who the **** they did hire to write their story? Oh wait...
Honestly, it makes me sick to see this kind of garbage from paid developers.

Welll ... saying "they propably let an unmotivated intern do it" would be an insult to unmotivated interns everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:59:27 am by Mikes »

Goddamit, I was looking forward to this.

Offline Mikes

Goddamit, I was looking forward to this.

Well the campaign gameplay is actually a lot better than the first overall (sadly that isn't saying much, but still heh) ... it's the story that outright sucks.

Multiplayer well... different story...  won't pass judgement yet, but have very mixed feelings so far. At best it feels "like Supcom1" occasionally. But mostly it feels like Supcom1 already had everything that Supcom2 has, except Supcom1 did it better and with much grander scope and scale lol.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!