Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92982 times)

By 'disposable fighter' I mean like a Vulture or something with a 20 million base cost or so capable of mounting shield boosters or HRPs, not an Eagle.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

You could get around the issue with credits by having the faction getting attacked pay all or most of the cost of those lost ships. And or huge bounties for taking it down.

There'll be ways to balance the weapons so they're powerful but it's not a slaughter that's over in seconds unless you're unlucky enough to be one of the first to get hit.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
To answer your previous question Lorric, I still play it. More extensively now since NMS was a bust
I love me my gunship right now

As for huge bounties, 150k is a bit low for what you're doing but I have no complaints about the Cap ship stuff. They could do for less blindspots however, that alone would make them a bit more challenging to take out

Course, I'd rather just be able to own one but that's just me. Ramming speed!
"No"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
To answer your previous question Lorric, I still play it. More extensively now since NMS was a bust
I love me my gunship right now

As for huge bounties, 150k is a bit low for what you're doing but I have no complaints about the Cap ship stuff. They could do for less blindspots however, that alone would make them a bit more challenging to take out

Course, I'd rather just be able to own one but that's just me. Ramming speed!

Ever play Rebel Galaxy? | Overview | GOG

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
It's on my wishlist, but I haven't picked it up yet due to the sheer size of my backlog right now
"No"

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Still playing regularly, especially the CQC/Arena mode. In the main game, I'm currently hanging out near Jaques and am 3/4 of the way through a journey to circumnavigate a tiny moon in my SRV.

Offline Lorric

Still playing regularly, especially the CQC/Arena mode. In the main game, I'm currently hanging out near Jaques and am 3/4 of the way through a journey to circumnavigate a tiny moon in my SRV.
Interesting. How long do you think it will take you in total to complete the circumnavigation?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I'm not sure I would try that, it took me a while to get used to the SRV and map the controls properly, I'm not even sure if combat would be feasable for me in that thing.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Interesting. How long do you think it will take you in total to complete the circumnavigation?

I'm 3/4 of the way done, and 3 hours in. I've been on hold waiting for the planet to rotate a bit before doing the last stretch (should be ~1 hour more) so I can catch the sun rising in front of me as I roll around the planet. :) Admittedly, this is a ridiculously fast speed I don't think anyone has managed before over such a long distance. The "Hutton Cup" SRV race was 600km and the winner took a bit over 5 hours. I'm doing more than twice that in an hour less time.

I've been targeting 80-100 m/s as a decent pace that eats up ground without exhausting my supply of repairs too quickly. Going even faster is certainly possible, but too dangerous for long-distance travel and too hard on my stocked materials for mid-run repairs. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeeesh; and I usually think of 30 m/s as "going fast" in an SRV. If I ever need to go long-distance, I hop back in my ship and fly there.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

And me thinking going on a 5 minute walk on a No Man's Sky planet was already a tad fancy...

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
And me thinking going on a 5 minute walk on a No Man's Sky planet was already a tad fancy...

Shots firrrrred
Someone recently got me the Horizons pass and I am far too excited to throw overcharged multicannons on my gunship
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, so I recently had occasion to essentially start over from scratch. Here's my tips for new players eager to get out of the Sidewinder and into bigger and better ships.

1: When you start out, try to find people to wing up with. The HLP Elite crew has a discord channel here, we can also be found in #elitedangerous on esper.net (or #bp). Most of us will be ready and willing to help you out.
2: Do missions. Almost every station you come across has a missions board where you can find a few short-haul contracts that'll bring in a few thousand credits.
3: Get used to the grind. Elite is a game that has a very slow progression in terms of your ranks (You are graded as a combat pilot, explorer and trader; certain missions are locked until you have passed rank threshholds).
4: Never fly something you cannot afford to lose. The moment you stick your nose out of a station's docking area and head into supercruise, there's a chance that someone (be it player or AI) will try to interdict you. If that goes sideways (and it will) and your bank account can't afford the insurance payment, you're back at square one and probably very frustrated.
5: Look out for accelerators. These are opportunities that give a massive return on investment. The easiest ones are the so-called Community Goals, these are timed events where players have to perform particular actions until a given goal is met or the timer runs out, participants get a bonus payment in accordance with their contribution to the goal (and whatever you do to fill the goal will also net you money).
By far the biggest accelerators however are long range trading missions or long range smuggling missions. These will regularly pay out several hundred thousand credits per ton of cargo, but they do require ships equipped for long range work. The Sothis run (named for the Sothis system, a newly colonized system 400 Ly away from the main human civilization) is the current go-to opportunity here, and to do them profitably, all you need is a Cobra Mk 3 fitted with a fuel scoop, the biggest Frame Shift Drive you can afford, and lots of cargo racks (example build here).
Be prepared for a very long trip out, then a bunch of reputation-building missions going back and forth between Sothis and Ceos (a neighbouring system that was also recently colonized), and then a long trek back to civilization. Luckily, most of the trade goods offered at Sothis are legal, so you won't have to do any smuggling, and there won't be a string of wannabe pirates and cops on your ass the entire way back (Robigo smuggling runs, which have higher payouts per ton than Sothis runs, are notoriously unchill because the AI will cheat to get to you).
6: Know the external tools. Elite is really bad about providing certain kinds of information within its interface, but luckily, external sites exist that make planning your next move much easier. My two go-to sites are https://coriolis.io to experiment with ship builds before sinking money into them, and https://eddb.io/ which has a comprehensive database of most (all?) stations in ED, and what they're selling.

Meanwhile, I am now in a shiny golden Asp, and will try to get back to an Anaconda this weekend.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:10:00 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kszyhu

certain missions are locked until you have passed rank threshholds).

Not since 2.1 they aren't. Right now the ranks are only indicators of mission difficulty.

One more thing - if you are interdicted and you don't have to stay in the system, there is a relatively easy way to GTFO. Immediately after interdiction reduce your throttle to 0%, and in the meantime select another system. After a few seconds you'll submit to the interdiction and land in real space with no 30 second (or a minute, I can't remember right now) FSD cooldown. Boost, deploy chaff, boost, deploy a heatsink if the enemy uses thermal weapons, boost, charge your FSD the second it's operational, boost, fly erratically, boost, jump out.
Remember that the FSD charge is slowed down when the heavier enemy is in a vicinity, but only for supercruise-real space transition (low-wake jump), never for intersystem jumps (high-wake jump).

Oh, and a subjective piece of advice - do not grind too hard, it's a surefire way to hate the game, and bigger ships aren't that much fun when compared to smaller spacecraft and the difference in price is taken into account.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not since 2.1 they aren't. Right now the ranks are only indicators of mission difficulty.

Huh, that's useful to know.

One more thing - if you are interdicted and you don't have to stay in the system, there is a relatively easy way to GTFO. Immediately after interdiction reduce your throttle to 0%, and in the meantime select another system. After a few seconds you'll submit to the interdiction and land in real space with no 30 second (or a minute, I can't remember right now) FSD cooldown. Boost, deploy chaff, boost, deploy a heatsink if the enemy uses thermal weapons, boost, charge your FSD the second it's operational, boost, fly erratically, boost, jump out.
Remember that the FSD charge is slowed down when the heavier enemy is in a vicinity, but only for supercruise-real space transition (low-wake jump), never for intersystem jumps (high-wake jump).

Yep, this is generally the best way to evade interdictions. If you're good enough, and you've fitted your ship accordingly, you can also try to fight back, but chances are that any trade ship will have no real chance against the AI (used to be that the AI was a total pushover. It's not anymore.)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

That's a very fine ship. E:D is quite gorgeous. A pity that I can't waste dollars in videogames right now.

Offline Kszyhu

I dunno, I find AspE being one of the ugliest ships in-game. If only DBX wasn't a piece of crap...

Offline Luis Dias

It's quite pretty in its bulkiness and weird flat geometry. I really like it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Should I do this Sothis run if I want a ****ton of money

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Should I do this Sothis run if I want a ****ton of money

Yes? I don't see why you wouldn't. Money!

4: Never fly something you cannot afford to lose. The moment you stick your nose out of a station's docking area and head into supercruise, there's a chance that someone (be it player or AI) will try to interdict you. If that goes sideways (and it will) and your bank account can't afford the insurance payment, you're back at square one and probably very frustrated.

Keep task manager open at all times
Why? There'll be times bull**** may happen and you just want to kill the process
ALT-F4 doesn't work, killing the process does

And it actually will save you some hull % and frustration if you do it prior to blowing the hell up. Is it a cheese? Sure, but there are times where bull**** happens. For example, you are doing bounty hunting, engage what appeared to be a lone target but turns out that target was actually in a wing of three despite no information for that being displayed on ship information. Then you can't jump out because friendship (yes I know it's frameshift) inhibition

Suppose it just depends on you as a player in the end. Do you want to take advantage of a cheese to save frustration and enjoy the game more, or keep taking monetary hits because you've found yourself in situations you can't win

Do NOT do the above in Open/Against players
"No"