Author Topic: having some issues with war in heaven  (Read 1212 times)

having some issues with war in heaven
first off, having played fs2 since i was 10 years old, have to say that finally getting some of these mods working after having farted around with and failed many times over the past few years has been one of the most exciting little breakthroughs i've had in a while. always nice to be able to go back to a classic and find it even better than you remember.

after fumbling around with AoA and finally getting it working after an hour, i'm running into even more problems with WiH than i did with the previous campaign. :( from what little i know about mods i'm guesssssssing that i might be missing some key files (i'm getting a huge number of debug errors, most of them looking like i'm missing information on the UEF ships), but i've done a pretty good job of making sure i've got all my files in the right folders. not entirely certain what's going on.

open log included! thanks for the help!

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: having some issues with war in heaven
1) BP has nothing to do in your MVP folder, it's supposed to be installed directly in your main FS2 folder (C:\whatever\FreeSpace 2\blueplanet2)

2) You don't have BP1 installed. Not sure how you played AoA in the first place, but you need BP1 to play BP2.

3) Don't go modifying mod.inis around unless you know what you're doing. Which you didn't, since you have BP2 in your MVP folder.

(note: thanks for the log. It's good to have someone who follows the FAQ for once :) )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:16:53 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

i figured it'd be something like that. got everything working just about perfect now. only thing that's missing is i'm not getting any dialogue/subtitles during the speech-y scenes. sort of weird just floating around in space for a minute and a half before i'm allowed to jump out. i checked to see if maybe there was something either in the ingame options menus or in the launcher but i couldn't find anything.

going to assume it's something stupid again. i'm a fraud.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Restarting the game should fix that...unless you don't have a HUD at all?

i do have a HUD. everything's working pretty well and i do get some subtitles but they're pretty much only at the start (initial attack/defense commands) or personal speeches (like during the earth defense mission, main character says "that's her!!"). it's usually during inbetween moments where people are interacting, or post-mission jibberjabber that i'll literally just be sitting there for a minute plus with nothing going on before it'll let me subspace my way onto the next mission.

i just started on the 2nd chapter of WIH for example and after i get the prompt on how to reply to the new wing commander, i chose one and had no dialogue come up afterwards. weird.

i'm about to head off to work so i'll try and see if restarting would fix it but i'm pretty sure i've restarted it at least once during and that was still going on. but who knows, i seem to be marvelous at getting these sorts of silly misdirected errors.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's really weird and should not be happening. You are also missing most of the story!

Offline leoben

Trick - I guess you're talking about not having any subtitles at all? Because WiH has no voiceovers (yet), like AoA had. If you don't have subtitles at all, that's bad - what Battuta said.

yup, i'm missing a pretty considerable number of subtitles. it's weird because everything seemed to work fine in age of aquarius, but when i played through a couple of other usermade campaigns (desperate times and technical superiority) it looked like i was missing subtitles as well (i could see allied ships light up with a grey box around their ship as if they were saying something, but having nothing come up on screen.) i very well could just be missing something but like i said earlier i couldn't find an option for it anywhere.

i guess it's not like a gamebreaking bug or anything, just really annoying. i loved the storyline of AoA a lot too! sucks to miss out on its successors story.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
does it show up in the f4 message tab?  i had to read pretty much all of the BP dialogue there anyway.
I like to stare at the sun.

fixed the issue... and then managed to acquire a new one. i seem to be pretty good at this. went into the main fs2 menu to adjust the sound and got this bug. all of my other accounts seem to work fine but when i try to log into the pilot account that i've been going through the campaign on it crashes. log included.

sorry for the hassle guys!

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
How big is your "slurp.bp2-p1.csg" file?  (IIRC it should be in C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\data\players).  If it's larger than 1MB or so, then unfortunately your pilot file is corrupted.  If you are brave, you can try to hex edit the file back into normality.  Otherwise, please get the latest BP executables (which have a fix for the bug) and you'll need to create and use a new pilot.  And replay the campaign(s)  :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...