Author Topic: Universal Truth Malloc fail  (Read 3344 times)

Universal Truth Malloc fail
Finally got through to Universal Truth in the new WiH, and this happens while loading just after completing the Idun Dictionary retrieval mission...  I've seen similar problems before, and last time I fixed it by removing the advanced textures.  I've already removed the BP advanced ones and the advanced from the 2014 MVPs.  Any ideas?

Build: 3.7.3 (0ea25e7) SSE2

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Re: Universal Truth Malloc fail
having the same error as well, updated the files from the launcher too to get all the latest patches and bugfixes currently available. can't upload my log atm since i literally just happened to notice this thread on my way out the door to work, will do when i get back

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There is a build in the SCP forum with "Large Address Aware" functionality. Try this. You're simply running out of memory, UT is quite a hog in that regard.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
But I don't understand why it is. Out of curiosity, could you run the installer one more time and see if it updates your visual VPs? We recently compressed some textures better to reduce size.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Actually, try the 64bit builds not the "Large Address Aware" ones.

Regarding the cause, I wonder if there's a relation to the amount of time played, i.e. it'll only occur after a few missions. If so that could point to a memory leak somewhere, or perhaps just memory fragmentation.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Tried rerunning the installer, no change.  I'll try the 64 bit build tomorrow when I get a chance.  The crash only occurs at UT, and the first time it happened I'd played Finest Hour and the mission before UT (name I can't remember) without problems.  So it doesn't really seem to be something that occurs after playing for an extended time.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The crash only occurs at UT, and the first time it happened I'd played Finest Hour and the mission before UT (name I can't remember) without problems.  So it doesn't really seem to be something that occurs after playing for an extended time.
...In the same session? Because that actually would be running for "an extended time".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

good news is that the 64 bit sse2 fixed my game (mostly?) to play ut2. that ending was amaaaaaaaazing by the by

as for the original client i patched (?) moments before i made my post, so unless it was updated very very recently i believe i should have everything to its most recent editions. i'm down to help track down bugs and post logs to help snuff it out though, just tell me where to shoot

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, try the 64bit builds not the "Large Address Aware" ones.

Regarding the cause, I wonder if there's a relation to the amount of time played, i.e. it'll only occur after a few missions. If so that could point to a memory leak somewhere, or perhaps just memory fragmentation.

It has to be a memory leak of some sort... I experienced the issue every couple of missions in the latter half of WiH2. I have a hard time believing 12GB isn't enough. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

It has to be a memory leak of some sort... I experienced the issue every couple of missions in the latter half of WiH2. I have a hard time believing 12GB isn't enough. :nervous:

If you're running FSO on Windows and using any build that isn't the 64-bit one that niffiwan linked then you don't have 12GB of memory, you have 2.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

If you're running FSO on Windows and using any build that isn't the 64-bit one that niffiwan linked then you don't have 12GB of memory, you have 2.

*facepalm* This is what I get for late night/early morning posting.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline m!m

The memory likely increases over a few missions because loaded models aren't unloaded when the mission ends because they could be used in another mission. Or it could be a memory leak in which case it needs to be fixed.

Offline crizza

tried the 64bit build, but still the malloc, but hey, I'm used to it^^

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
tried the 64bit build, but still the malloc, but hey, I'm used to it^^
...Are you sure you were running the 64-bit build? How much RAM does your system have?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline crizza

My bad, the launcher stopped working with the 64bit build and only launched the game with the latest nightly.
As of today, 12gb RAM.

Offline m!m

Yeah, a 32 bit launcher with a 64 bit binary will probably lead to issues. You could try launching the .exe directly from the explorer.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Oh right, I forgot to include "don't try to run it through the launcher" to the 64-bit build post. Let me add that now.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline crizza

Uh, right. How do I tell the exe which mod I want to play, without the launcher? I'm not good at this...

Edit cmdline_fso.cfg in fs2_root_folder\data

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Uh, right. How do I tell the exe which mod I want to play, without the launcher? I'm not good at this...
Edit cmdline_fso.cfg in fs2_root_folder\data
And/or just use the launcher, but point it to a 32-bit build (and then quit it immediately); the cmdline_fso.cfg file it generates will be read by the 64-bit build just fine.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so