Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 230053 times)

Offline Arpit

Re: Official new people thread!
Oh Hell, after 61 posts I come here to say hi. (Shoot me!)

Anyways, hello everybody. I don't know what I can do for the community but most probably I can FRED. Of course, I am NOT the best or good but if someone would like to see my FREDing skills by testing me (giving me challenges), it would be good.  :)

(Till now I have created a SSM strike (through FRED, not through tables) which my younger brother gave me as a challenge.)

Offline Jeclho

Hey everybody!

I've been a long time fan of the Freespace series basically since FS2 came out and I've also been lurking on HLP for several months. I figured there's no time like the present to go ahead and register an account and actually take part in things. I've got some various modding/FREDing experience (nothing extremely complicated though) but I'm willing to learn more advanced stuff as long as there is someone willing to teach me It's been a couple years since I've done much serious modding so I'm sure with a little practice at least some of it will come back to me. Anyway, I really hope I enjoy being here and can contribute something to this great project!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Welcome both, if you are interested in contributing something you can always try joining an existing project.
About learning stuff from FS, well I think most peps around here learned trying to do stuff out of personal interest. Asking around or checking the wiki when not reaching the expected results, that sort of thing.
I'd recommend checking the FRED section , there's plenty of awesome data there.

el hombre vicio...

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
So... About HLP. What can I do to help?

I'ld like to do something to contribute to HLP, but I haven't really been able to find my niche. Apparently to contribute to the wiki I need to be an administrator. I'm not good enough with FRED yet to pitch in on any projects. I thought about making reviews of campaigns I've done, but how much are reviews needed right now? What about Beta Testing? How much experience does that take?

Basically, where can a new guy be useful?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I believe you can get a new wiki account approved if you make a request on the wiki subforum.

FRED is also super easy to learn and the most valuable skill.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Beta testing doesn't take a lot of experience in FS2 or other mods. What it does require, however, is the ability to accurately describe the issues you've encountered.

As for reviews, those are always good to have. As creators, we require feedback and critique from players in order to make our work better, so if you want to dig into campaigns and review them, you'd definitely be doing a good service.

Also what Battuta said. FRED has a bit of a learning curve, but we do have a couple of good tutorials for it (the one that comes with the retail install, and the one from Diaspora).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Battuta, Goober, E, Thanks for giving me some pointers!

I'm going to work on three things for now. First, Reviews. I've finished Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius, Silent Threat: Reborn, and the FSPort Operation Templar remake, and I'm about halfway through Derelict, so I've got something to go on.

Second, Goober explained how the wiki works. I think I'll start by cleaning up the Derelict Campaign Walkthrough, which I noticed has some missing images and links.

Third, Practice FRED. If I can Forge, I can FRED... eventually.

Thanks guys!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great! :):yes:  Keep up the motivation and match it with some cool new work. :D

Hello, I'm new here and I'm happy to have found this community  ;)

I hope to have some fun times here.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Time to welcome the imposter ;)

:welcomered:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline E Scotty

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Hey!  I just registered to ask for help with a problem I was having, but have since solved it on my own.   :blah:  So... here I am.

Big fan of Descent and FreeSpace.  I have waged the near hopeless war against the Shivans dozens of times, and using the pretty HD mods here each time.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
but have since solved it on my own.

ahhh, you say you solved yourself, but how can anyone be sure?
The powa of HLP is always present. It surrounds us, penetrates us and binding the community together.

anyway,
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have discovered by bizarro self, it seems.  Welcome!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Either that, or your illicit love child with The E. :p

Offline Darien

Hey!  I just registered to ask for help with a problem I was having, but have since solved it on my own.   :blah:  So... here I am.

Yep, that's my story as well. Hi everyone, and thanks for the fantastic work on all of the various projects. I'm blown away by how well made some of the mods are.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Either that, or your illicit love child with The E. :p

:eek:
el hombre vicio...

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Aging your account for a few months before posting works, right?

fake edit: nope, I'm still terrible

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Just found this one here and wanted to say Hi to everybody.

when i was young i could not decied with game i buy from my allowance and randomly choosed Descend:Freespace. And glad i did it! After years being addicted to FS1&FS2 i stumbled on your community. It was very nice to play some of the earlier modding stuff but then there was another long break.
But now... i returned to play FS again and to see what you did to this game is just WOW. I mean - wft! There for a big big THANKS to all your modders and other people realizing this epic game progress. And its still going on!

I hope someday i can give back something else then stuipd posts for downloading and playing all your stuff!

Cheers!