Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374658 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Cutscene Upgrade Project
I don't mean to downplay the awesomeness of this work, but I seem to recall that the ship being boarded was an Azrael class, not the Asmodeus class that appears to be in its place.  Am I correct in this?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You are, basically some nerd talk in Discord later we got the Asmodeus because it makes more sense or something.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
This is mighty fine work :-)

I know you had no plans to make a "Lucifer destroys Tombaugh" cutscene (still hoping you reconsider) but are your plans to make a "Lucifer destroys Vasuda Prime" still a thing?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I don't mean to downplay the awesomeness of this work, but I seem to recall that the ship being boarded was an Azrael class, not the Asmodeus class that appears to be in its place.  Am I correct in this?
To be specific, it was for lore and technical reasons. The cinematic text says Disabled Shivan Freighter while originally using an Azrael (Transport), so it would make sense to change the ship type to match. Technically, it just can't be recreated with an Azrael using the in-game ship scale with the way the ships were positioned. It's like the original cinematic Azrael was Asmodeus-sized, the Elysium was Dragon-sized, or both, so that change respects both the positioning and scale of the ships.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Fair enough.

I know you had no plans to make a "Lucifer destroys Tombaugh" cutscene (still hoping you reconsider) but are your plans to make a "Lucifer destroys Vasuda Prime" still a thing?

Doesn't this cutscene already exist (fan made though it is)?

MJN wanted to make his own version of it at one point.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Looks like the change to Asmo was already explained. Pretty much yeah all that.

I do still want to make my version of V Prime. I have a really neat concept and that features Oddgrim's extremely well done Vasudan pilot model. After some investigation, it looks like FSPort doesn't even ship with the V Prime cutscene anymore, so I put it on the backburner as it would be purely fan work. I may return to it after I finish the FS2 scenes and mainhalls.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

How would a remaster of the FS2 apocalyptic end game fleet brawl even work?

The apocalypse cutscene isn't overwhelming complex though. Most of it are some beams and random explosions in the background.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How would a remaster of the FS2 apocalyptic end game fleet brawl even work?

This is a very unusual question and I've been trying to understand it for the better part of 10 minutes.

How would the scene work? Same as every other animated video ever. I load in the assets, I animate them, I render. Boom. Done.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd imagine in a lot of ways it's substantially less complex than some of what you've worked on thus far, since you don't have to model any sort of crazy interior geometry.  It's mostly a bunch of already-modeled ships.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yup. It'll be mostly just ship models flying random paths all over the place.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'd bet you're also waiting for the completed demon to do an upgrade of the FS2 Intro... though it is only in the scene very briefly IIRC.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I haven't yet decided exactly which FS2 cutscene I'm going to start with... The Intro got a head start because I thought ahead when I did the ST:R Endgame in terms of the land geometry. It was pretty easy to set that scene up.

Bosch Monologues have a little character anim and I could re-use the interior environment across 4 scenes. I might start there.

Bastion is obvious low-hanging fruit. I've done far more complex cbanims than that cutscene. I could whip that one out in like a week.

Colossus. This one will require a lot of motion graphics work. It's not difficult, but there's a lot of tedious stuff to recreate. Fortunately I already made the drone years ago as well as the corporate logos.

That just leaves Intro and Endgame which require many of the same concepts applied. They probably require the most work. Also turns out it's easy to motivate Nyctaeus to work on ships that'll show up in the cutscenes, so I might have use that to my advantage in terms of timing when I really work on these two scenes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Have you considered taking on apprentices from the community, understudy types upon who you can impart knowledge and experience in order to share workload?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Congrats on finishing FS1 and I'm glad this saw the light (dark?) of day!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Superb. I just watched it and the original back to back. The switch to the Asmodeus makes sense since it is larger and thus gives more internal room to work with - some of the halls are notably wider / taller in the new version. Its a good thing - it makes the humans look all the more puny in comparison  :p

That said, one thing has always bugged me about the hall fight - they are not wearing spacesuits. Granted they have masks but there is still skin on display around the neck and eyes. Considering they had no idea what the environment in a shivan ship would be like - not to mention what counter intrusion methods it and its crew might use - this seems a tad risky. Plus they would be boned if the transport became detached and they needed to make an *ahem* 'tactical advance to the rear'. At least in full space suits they could jump out the airlock and wait for pick up. In their current set up they could be rendered combat ineffective by a simple CS gas grenade. So much for centuries of scientific progress  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
If I was them I would have wanted to go in looking more like this :-) https://i.redd.it/6ow6gg5wvqr31.jpg

and with an armed drone or seven for back up like this https://bytescapes.com/science-fiction/sf-library/exploring-rorschach/
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Yeah but that wouldn't be FS anymore than.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As long as you're able to breathe, being exposed to vacuum isn't the instant head-exploding death sentence that so many B-movies treat it as.  Hell, since you're in a vacuum and the only way you could lose heat is radiating it away (as well as evaporation of skin moisture), it'd probably take you some time to actually feel cold.  The easy handwavey answer is that the strike team already knew that the freighter would be pressurized before entering it.