Archived Boards > The 158th Banshee Squadron

Into the Night: Shadows

<< < (2/3) > >>

Polpolion:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on January 01, 2011, 11:39:53 am ---To be blunt it reads like someone's been into too much Wraith Squadron.

--- End quote ---

I've never heard of Wraith Squadron, so I'll just assume that's a bad thing.  :nervous:

And assuming the meager summaries of the story actually reflect what Wraith Squadron is about, I can assure you that ITNS isn't like that. But the summaries are pretty meager and I'm honestly too lazy to read the book when I'm already reading Steppenwolf and the Roadside Picnic (neither of which should bleed over into ITNS).

General Battuta:
Roadside Picnic is pretty ****ing awesome, and no Wraith Squadron isn't bad, it was actually pretty entertaining, it's just....not the tone I think you want

I dunno I guess my concern here is that it does not feel like a military unit that could exist. For example:

--- Quote ---   The Commander stood up, and the half of the squadron that wasn't new all leaned forward. And watched as he started pacing. Eventually, he stopped walking back and forth in front of the display normally used for briefings. Using the grid as a guide, he slowly and carefully drew D... O... N... O... T... F... I... R... E... U... P... O... N... T... H... E... H... A... Y... D... O... N.

--- End quote ---

and the following passage - I imagine any pilot that was involved in anything like that kind of 'practical joke' involving weapons discharge and collision would be cashiered in short order, even in wartime with a shortage of pilots. The narrative treats it as comedy but it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Nohiki:
The whole point of the first half of this act is that the banshees slipped from glory to being slackers. The'll get how they should behave over the time but not before you take a few puns :P

Polpolion:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on January 01, 2011, 02:59:38 pm ---Roadside Picnic is pretty ****ing awesome, and no Wraith Squadron isn't bad, it was actually pretty entertaining, it's just....not the tone I think you want

I dunno I guess my concern here is that it does not feel like a military unit that could exist. For example:

--- Quote ---   The Commander stood up, and the half of the squadron that wasn't new all leaned forward. And watched as he started pacing. Eventually, he stopped walking back and forth in front of the display normally used for briefings. Using the grid as a guide, he slowly and carefully drew D... O... N... O... T... F... I... R... E... U... P... O... N... T... H... E... H... A... Y... D... O... N.

--- End quote ---

and the following passage - I imagine any pilot that was involved in anything like that kind of 'practical joke' involving weapons discharge and collision would be cashiered in short order, even in wartime with a shortage of pilots. The narrative treats it as comedy but it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about this as I was writing it, too, but I figured that since you have plenty of latitude in game with firing upon friendly capitol ships, the similar amounts of latitude could be carried over into fiction. The real problem with pilot action here isn't damaging the Haydon, as with in game the problem wouldn't be damaging an Orion, the real problem is the breach in discipline by both the offending pilots which caused a further breach in discipline by a jumpy gunnery crew. The thing is that in game they assume that you do it by accident and they never include things like "by the way don't shoot at us" in any debriefings except traitor debriefings. And I've never seen NPCs fire at friendly vessels in canon FS, so there's really no set convention for dealing with it.

General Battuta:
Well, all I can give is my personal reaction to the fiction presented here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version