Author Topic: Burning Heaven Campaign Launched + Patch 1.1!  (Read 66119 times)

Re: Burning Heaven Campaign Launched + Patch 1.1!
fs2_open.log?

Offline CT27

Here it is.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline CT27

The readme said to put the contents directly into the /FS2 folder but I've been advised not to do that.

I can't remember how I got it to work years ago.

Nah, readme says:
Code: [Select]
Extract the Burning_Heaven folder and all of its contents in your root Freespace 2 Directory.and in your case files are in correct place.

Anyway this is weird:
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Burning_Heaven_v1_01\BH_Sound_102.vp' with a checksum of 0x2e476376
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Burning_Heaven_v1_01\BH_Sound_102.vp' ... Failed to read file entry (currently in directory )!
66 files
Checksum is the same as mine, but number of files is wrong. It should be 468 files.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Checksum is the same as mine, but number of files is wrong. It should be 468 files.
The checksums listed in the debug log are only a partial checksum (of the last 2 MiB of the file, as I understand it). If you want a proper comparison, you'll need to do a checksum of the whole archive. You can use an external tool, of course (like md5sum), or you can have FSO do it by running it with the "-verify_vps" command-line option, which uses the same checksum algorithm but checks the entire file instead of just the last 2 MiB and puts the results into vp_crcs.txt. Of course, these checksums aren't comparable with the "abbreviated" checksums used by the debug log; you'll both need to use the same method for a valid comparison.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

When I was trying to extract the Burning Heaven zip folder into something I could put into /FS2 I noticed something.  On two of the VP files it said 'CRC failed'.  What does that mean?  I've never seen that when trying to extract FS/FS2 mods/campaigns.

@AdmiralRalwood
Oh, I didn't know about it. Thanks.

@CT27
Download Burning_Heaven_v1_01.zip again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:24:21 pm by tomimaki »

Offline CT27

I can't figure out what to do so I may have to delete this campaign unfortunately.

Offline CT27

What does CRC mean anyways?

I also noticed (when I looked in the unzipped folder) that when I right clicked on vps, there were options under CRC (CRC-32 and CRC-64 for instance).

On two of the VP files it said 'CRC failed'.

It means archive was corupted, probably incomplete download.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

What does CRC mean anyways?

Cyclic_redundancy_check
On two of the VP files it said 'CRC failed'.

It means archive was corupted, probably incomplete download.

Any suggestions then on what to do?  My computer said it finished downloading the thing.  I'm kind of stuck on what to do now.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Try downloading it again and see if it extracts the 2nd time without logging any CRC errors.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

I tried it a couple times on different computers even; the file still wouldn't download right.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
hmm.... I might have a copy of this at home, I'll see if I can remember to upload it to FSFiles or something.
----
----

It is on FSFiles. ;)
Burning Heaven
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:50:38 am by tomimaki »

Offline CT27

It is on FSFiles. ;)
Burning Heaven

I clicked on your link and it said 'no file.'

Offline CT27

I'm using Google Chrome.

When I clicked on Burning Heaven in that link you provided, the download bar that comes up at the bottom of the screen said "Failed-No file".

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm using Google Chrome.

When I clicked on Burning Heaven in that link you provided, the download bar that comes up at the bottom of the screen said "Failed-No file".
Works in both Chrome and Firefox for me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.