Author Topic: Game Engine Question  (Read 10135 times)

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask: I don't mind if the moderators move this to a better spot, but it seems to be the only place that involves the Crysis game engine.

How effective is Crysis 2/3 for a space-engine?  Does it have substantial limits between the gaming center before everything goes sideways like FS2 and other game engines?  Also how big are the limits?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think ace combat 7 uses something like that but I might well be completely mistaken.  Ace combat 7 uses the unreal engine  :lol:
 In any case, a dedicated crysis forum might hold more detailed information.

Failing that, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I’ve actually heard that Crysis (or another Crytek title) was conceived of as a space shooter wayyyy back when. That said -

Cryengine ****ing suuuuucks for basically anything except being a very pretty (and on its later versions high-performing) in house engine for Crytek. The support is awful, the engine is hard to adapt to other uses, the rendering is beautiful which suckers people into using it but then they ALWAYS regret it. Star Citizen had to throw it out for Amazon’s version, and then Amazon killed a bunch of their in house titles because working on even *their fork* of CryEngine sucks so much.

It’s bad. It’s an Engine to make you Cry.

I’ve actually heard that Crysis (or another Crytek title) was conceived of as a space shooter wayyyy back when. That said -

Cryengine ****ing suuuuucks for basically anything except being a very pretty (and on its later versions high-performing) in house engine for Crytek. The support is awful, the engine is hard to adapt to other uses, the rendering is beautiful which suckers people into using it but then they ALWAYS regret it.
So it's gorgeous, but hellish to make even very basic stuff happen?
I guess the name was more fitting then they ever thought :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So it's gorgeous, but hellish to make even very basic stuff happen?

It is perfectly fine if you want to do a first- or third person shooter or action game like Ryse. If you want to do anything else, you're going to end up fighting the engine all the way or contracting Crytek to basically make the game for you or both.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

It is perfectly fine if you want to do a first- or third person shooter or action game like Ryse. If you want to do anything else, you're going to end up fighting the engine all the way or contracting Crytek to basically make the game for you or both.
Could one use it to render "cut-scenes"?

Dunno about Cutscenes in Crysis, but from FS they're either
-in game models following pre-programmed actions (you can record them with OBS or similar)
-pre-rendered cutscenes made in dedicated rendering software (3DS Max, Blender etc)

The latter tend to be of higher quality, simply because the rendering process (and along with it the details of models and textures used) are not subjecated to being a game with a decent FPS rate.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Could one use it to render "cut-scenes"?

You could, I suppose.... but I think there is no real difference between setting up an animation in a game engine and doing the same in Blender or Maya or whatever (In most cases, cutscene animation is done in external programs like those and then imported into the game engine).
And even there, I am reasonably sure that Unity or UE4 are easier to get started with than CryEngine.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What's that "OBS" you speak of in relation to making cutscenes in Fred?  :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Game Engine Question

Cryengine ****ing suuuuucks for basically anything except being a very pretty (and on its later versions high-performing) in house engine for Crytek. The support is awful, the engine is hard to adapt to other uses, the rendering is beautiful which suckers people into using it but then they ALWAYS regret it. Star Citizen had to throw it out for Amazon’s version, and then Amazon killed a bunch of their in house titles because working on even *their fork* of CryEngine sucks so much.

Crytek brought in a lot of FS modders who contributed to Silent Threat early on (and Quake modders) with some of the proof of concept games with the early Crytek engines.

There were a few, Silent Space (FS like game), Verge (Homeworld like), and Dinosaur Island which eventually became Far Cry. At the time nothing was viewed as economically viable from publishers other than the PC/console FPS so everything got axed minus the FPS projects.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock