Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

The Cost of Moderation

<< < (3/5) > >>

MP-Ryan:
I have to echo the other comments - no one person, or few persons, are responsible for all the *gestures around* mess that has developed this year.  There are a huge number of factors.  This is why we are taking a forward-looking approach to make it better and not revisiting all our past mistakes.

Mito, please take care of yourself.  Take the time you need, and do come back when you are ready.

Galemp:

--- Quote from: MP-Ryan on February 07, 2021, 09:33:55 am ---I have to echo the other comments - no one person, or few persons, are responsible for all the *gestures around* mess that has developed this year.  There are a huge number of factors. 

--- End quote ---

Not the least of which are factors affecting all of us outside of HLP. Fears of COVID itself, the stress of a year-long lockdown, being stuck alone or with a small circle; the escalation of political tensions, injustice and authoritarianism; the economic and financial instability, on an individual and household level. And all of this is compounded by the fact that everyone we care for is also stressed out. Divorce and suicide rates are something like 30% higher over last year.

None of us are in a great place right now, emotionally or psychologically. The best thing we can do, is be gentle with each other, and with ourselves.

xenocartographer:

--- Quote ---Second, the Fusion/Andreas Rybak thing - Again, an issue where I feel I made the right decision for the right reasons. And yet, as the inevitable controversy around that erupted, suddenly I was framed as the person who unilaterally banned someone purely because I chose to respond to the topic.
--- End quote ---

So, I believe this is at least partially in response to me, and I'd like to offer my perspective. This isn't intended as a criticism of The E nor anyone else, just a different perspective on what happened.

Andreas and I came to the hypothesis that The E had banned him based on limited data: that Andreas was banned, and that none of the moderators we spoke to knew anything about it, except for The E, who appeared to block Andreas on Discord instead of responding. That's what lead me to make my post asking for more information. It turns out that there were legitimate explanations for everything - the moderators who responded to us just happened to have been very busy when the discussion about Andreas was going on, and a quirk of Discord's permission system stopped The E from responding to Andreas' DM. We've got the story straight, and I'm not trying to re-open that conversation.

What I am trying to point out is how being left in the dark like that forced Andreas to start speculating, which directly lead to some serious faulty assumptions, miscommunication, and tension between all involved parties. In other words, I think a lot of the unpleasantness could have been avoided with a little bit more transparency.

Again, I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just bring attention to what I see as a contributing factor. Most forums I've been on have had a policy to notify people that and why moderation actions were taken. So, all I'm trying to say here is, perhaps HLP should adopt a similar policy? Or, if there is such a policy, perhaps it should be extended to Discord?

Luis Dias:
My heart goes to all people who are suffering in this thread (and elsewhere) for what has happened. I also hope you guys take care of yourselves. Regarding what xenocartographer just said, it feels right that a lack of information on all sides has had a destructive consequence, but I also feel there's an element of a lack of understanding or tolerance in these situations that creep up and escalate any simple situation into a maelstrom of ridiculous proportions, with a ghastly emotional cost to many involved.

I'd really argue for a desperate amount of increased tolerance in such situations where information is lacking. Please remember this is a community of people, but even if we feel a lot more sociopathic due to all this confinement situations around the world, and somehow forget people are involved, or just get swept away by the drama of it all as a thing per se, at least consider how systems wreck themselves very easily if every piece of such a system lacks any tolerance margin of error, and how such systems usually destroy elements within such systems that are placed in the most stressful positions within them.

Thing is, such elements in this system are actual people. I feel for you The_E, and for everyone else who also got themselves wrecked in this whole thing.

My best wishes.

The E:

--- Quote from: xenocartographer on February 11, 2021, 10:19:48 am ---Again, I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just bring attention to what I see as a contributing factor. Most forums I've been on have had a policy to notify people that and why moderation actions were taken. So, all I'm trying to say here is, perhaps HLP should adopt a similar policy? Or, if there is such a policy, perhaps it should be extended to Discord?

--- End quote ---

Please take a look at the new guidelines thread - There's a lot in there to establish a tradition of transparency, and I hope that that will prevent such issues in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version