Author Topic: Google Ads are back  (Read 9911 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Google Ads are back
I'd like everyone to take note that the Google ads are now back. Don't abuse things... please.

Ads, HLP and You

We understand that many people hate and despise ads on websites, but please understand that ads are our lifeline. Without ads we cannot pay for the domain and the server. We kindly ask that you do not block ads on hard-light.net but we do NOT encourage clicking on the ads either, only click on the ads when you see something interesting. Clicking sprees on ads is prohibited as ads service providers do not look kindly at such occurences.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:00:11 am by Fury »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Re: Google Ads are back
Congrats :yes: ;)
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Now, that I KNOW, that I shouldn't klick everything, I'll only klick two google-ads a day...
That's not too much, is it?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Now, that I KNOW, that I shouldn't klick everything, I'll only klick two google-ads a day...
That's not too much, is it?

Don't click unless you're interested in the ad or it's an accident.  Don't set yourself a quota of "two clicks per day", or they might detect a pattern.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, at least there's more money for the admins. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Wasnt there some sort of protection software thingye? That is something that tries to prevent the extra clicks?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I don't even want to see people saying "I'll click X times per year"... don't plan on clicking AT ALL. I'm serious. If something interests you, fine. If not, do NOT click just for the hell of it.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Shade

Hmm, I always wanted some small animal ventilators...

*Imagines little furry animals with fans blowing cool air at him*
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I don't even want to see people saying "I'll click X times per year"... don't plan on clicking AT ALL. I'm serious. If something interests you, fine. If not, do NOT click just for the hell of it.

But what if NOTHING of these Ads are interesting to me? :(

P.S.: I'd really LOVE to buy something from ThinkGeek, but I live in Germany...
There are problems with the Transport and maybe with the power supply (110V - "American" Plugs vs. 230V - "German" Plugs... I don't know the real names of those Plugs...)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I'm sure you can find an adaptor.

Or, more money to keep the damned server running, no? :rolleyes:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
But what if NOTHING of these Ads are interesting to me? :(

Then, like me, you won't click on anything. It's very rare that I click on ANY ad, on ANY site. I'm just not very drawn in by them. Don't worry, don't feel under any sort of obligations of any sort. Just enjoy the forums. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm sure you can find an adaptor.

Or, more money to keep the damned server running, no? :rolleyes:

what i just ****ing said.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
what i just ****ing said.

No, you didn't.  There is a huge difference between money that goes to keep the server running and money that goes into the admins' pockets.

We've been operating the site at a loss for a few months now because of the whole ad snafu.  In the meantime Sandwich has had to eat most of our operating expenses.

We are not running this site to make money.

Offline Zantor

• Zantor Zenodex
    • My LiveJournal: A Zenodexan's Log
We are not running this site to make money.

Dang straight. This is a community, not a business.
"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." --Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." --Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
So how did you convince them to give us a second chance?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
We didn't.

And the first post in this thread has been updated a bit.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Cool, what's with the big "thinkgeek" thing though?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
No reason to take it down. It's potential income, too.

It's not a part of the Google ads, if that's what you're asking.

Oh, and BTW, I enabled Google image ads, to see how annoying or not they are. Let me know.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Nothing annoying but I dunno whether "Gay and Lesbian Wedding Rings" is the kind of material this site should carry.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You disagree with gay/lesbian marriage? You disagree with the advert targetting gays/lesbians? You disagree with gays/lesbians? Explain.  :wtf:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.