Author Topic: General gaming question...  (Read 3075 times)

Re: General gaming question...
I'm not sure I consider review scores to be inflated per se, rather they run to extremes.  Games which really don't deserve it get panned, like Alpha Protocol.

Offline Topgun

STWFU2 got poor reviews despite the hype.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
That's because SWTFU2 really sucked.

Review sites that give great scores to hyped games would have gotten a good score anyway, but not necessarily a 10/10, rather a 9/10 or 8.5/10.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'm pretty sure C&C4 got slammed.  in any event, try before you buy.  if it doesn't have a demo, or i otherwise am sure i will like it, i don't mess with it.
I like to stare at the sun.

Rock Paper Shotgun's review of Fallout New Vegas was pretty negative.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I don't really have any respect for game reviewers. It's all opinion-based anyway. They don't give valuable insight.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
This is exactly why I only write reviews for mods.  People can actually change stuff based on my insight.  Game reviews are just buyers' guides in the vast majority of the cases, and nearly always fail at being adequate at that role.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
90% of everything is crap. This includes video games.

Movie critics have no problem giving multi-million-dollar blockbusters two star reviews. It's a shame the gaming press isn't as critical.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ignore numerics and actually read the damn articles. Then, shockingly, they're often still accurately described and useful.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

And video game reviews :P.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Movie critics have no problem giving multi-million-dollar blockbusters two star reviews. It's a shame the gaming press isn't as critical.

Mhm. That's why I laugh at people who try to make games as important or well respected as movies. If they can't be critical of their own art, how can they expect anyone to take it AS art?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Mhm. That's why I laugh at people who try to make games as important or well respected as movies. If they can't be critical of their own art, how can they expect anyone to take it AS art?

The problem is that the people that  try to make games as important or well respected as movies usually are critical of it. It's the ones that just want to make money off of them that aren't.