Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576545 times)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

another imaaage
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
What's up with the apparently huge stigma against wishing to take credit for one's work?  I put up a sign saying that 'I made this' or 'I made part of this with the help of someone else who I figure will want to put their name down as well' (which is basically what artists do in real life), and I get yelled at for being stupid.  When I try to explain my reasoning in a rational and mature fashion, I get kicked from the server without an explanation  :banghead:

I'm sure being interrupted in real life while trying to explain my reasoning isn't helping my case, but kicking someone for doing something that they honestly see as being productive sounds like a pretty good way to create some nerd rage.

Only reasons I can think of is that maybe I worded the signs in a way that someone else can misinterprete them, or someone edited the signs into something else.  Either way, I'm not intentionally trying to cause harm like a troll would.

I'm not logging back in until I get this resolved, as I don't wish to get banned over a huge misunderstanding.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Woahwoahwoahwoahwoah
Right, firstly, is this pece's server or the one I OP on?
EDIT: yes, it was pece's server.
Secondly, what was the quit message "kicked by admin"? We've been having a bit of downtime recently as you might be aware.
If so, any idea who did it? AFAIK, the three ops that we have are qazwsxal (me) rhx123 (close friend and server owner) and lixquid (a friend of rhx123 and aquaintance of mine.)
Also, what's your name on MC? I can check the logs, but not until tomorrow morning.
I haven't seen this stigma against "taking credit" personally, hell I think there's actually very few buildings without some form of identification as to ownership, so this is very odd behaviour by an OP.
I'll try and look into things, but getting names is going to be the best thing you can do for me at the moment
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:12:56 am by qazwsx »

Offline Shade

Indeed. Everyone's been putting signs on their buildings, so I doubt you'd have been kicked over such a thing. There must be some kind of misunderstanding in play here, either over what happened or why it happened.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
What's up with the apparently huge stigma against wishing to take credit for one's work?  I put up a sign saying that 'I made this' or 'I made part of this with the help of someone else who I figure will want to put their name down as well' (which is basically what artists do in real life), and I get yelled at for being stupid.  When I try to explain my reasoning in a rational and mature fashion, I get kicked from the server without an explanation  :banghead:

I'm sure being interrupted in real life while trying to explain my reasoning isn't helping my case, but kicking someone for doing something that they honestly see as being productive sounds like a pretty good way to create some nerd rage.

Only reasons I can think of is that maybe I worded the signs in a way that someone else can misinterprete them, or someone edited the signs into something else.  Either way, I'm not intentionally trying to cause harm like a troll would.

I'm not logging back in until I get this resolved, as I don't wish to get banned over a huge misunderstanding.
Woahwoahwoahwoahwoah
Right, firstly, is this pece's server or the one I OP on?
Secondly, what was the quit message "kicked by admin"? We've been having a bit of downtime recently as you might be aware.
If so, any idea who did it? AFAIK, the three ops that we have are qazwsxal (me) rhx123 (close friend and server owner) and lixquid (a friend of rhx123 and aquaintance of mine.)
Also, what's your name on MC? I can check the logs, but not until tomorrow morning.
I haven't seen this stigma against "taking credit" personally, hell I think there's actually very few buildings without some form of identification as to ownership, so this is very odd behaviour by an OP.
I'll try and look into things, but getting names is going to be the best thing you can do for me at the moment.

My server qazwsx.

Alex Heartnet:
A) I've got nothing against putting a sign here and there to note that you made something. Plastering 12 signs on the entrance of the spawnpoint temple after having been warned you did a bad job, doesnt make me a happy camper.
B) You're constantly making offhand comments about how much time this is gonna take, how much time is it gonna take to get that, blah blah blah. We repeatedly told you "no more freebies". You wanna build big things? Fine, get the materials yourself. (spawn temple was another matter and a one-off)
C) Repeatedly not even bothering to go and integrate with the other folks stuff peacefully. No, you go and make a 20 meter tall (at least) "cactus farm", which is the epitome of useless. "Its gonna be a skyscraper"

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ****IN TREEHOUSE AND THE REST OF THE BUILDINGS?!?

And your obsidian "farm" was totally useless. Neverminding the fact that there is metric ****tons of lava on the map, you decide that we need an redstone to obsidian farm, cuz "lava so preshuz".

D) The ****in road. GAAAH THE ****IN ROAD.

If KyadCK has something to add, i'll leave it to him.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Heh... found this weird door in a cliff-face under one of qaz's bridges. There's an unlocked chest in it with all this weird stuff like iron armor, diamond armor, and loads of other stuff.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
While I agree mostly with what Pece is saying, the tone is a tad harsh for me so I'm going to try lay it out a bit nicer

Pece's A) Yes I know I have a sign near the Herc and a few more to explain what I'll be doing next, and I know Micos has one or 2 on a few buildings. But plastering the spawn point in signs is not reasonable, especially if most of it it "I did this part" followed by "____ did this" 7 times

Pece's B) He's flat right on this one. I know I complained about the Herc, and probably will about the Apollo once I get it mapped out, but I'm also building something that can probably be classed under mega-object and the 20+ hour build time backs me on the "gunna take a while" thing... yes it is hard and time consuming to get the materials you need for a big project, perhaps I'll show you my private server where all of it is done by hand and only with what I mine

Pece's C) Again he has a point. You'll notice that anything that doesn't fit with the surrounding area isn't IN in the surrounding area. you built a very tall cactus farm out of cobble, which is fine, but you built it in a wooden village. It really does look out of place there being a 20+ tall cobblestone rectangle near perhaps 7-tall plank/log houses.

The obsidian farm? Meh, its small, has a reason to exist (kinda) though I cant imagine what that would be, and tries to fit in the area. The road? eh, Pece's overreacting on this one, that thing was rebuilt probably 4 times, only one of those being after your attempt. My only real advice is: do what I did with the Herc. Go find a big flat area a reasonable (probably 75+) distance from the town and make use of it. Why? Because if you've claimed that area to look like your creation and someone starts building something that doesn't look right next to it then the new people to the area cant complain, your big what-ever-you-build was in the general area first, not to mention that gives plenty of room to build big things.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I don't think I ever got a warning that I did a bad job.  I really 'am' building to the best of my ability.

I thought the cactus farm and redstone-to-obsidian converter were novel ideas, as opposed to most structures that just sit there and look pretty while not doing anything functional.  And functionality came before looks because that is how it works in real architecture as well, I just never really got a chance to add the looks.  Placing them smack dab in the middle of everything is a simple rookie's mistake on my part; the area was empty enough when I first envisioned the buildings.  (Big herc turned out big, though.)  I was even planning on rebuilding them elsewhere and destroying the old ones, but I was told I should build an arena for PvP first, which wasn't what I was interested in building at the time.

As for the free handouts, what impression am I supposed to get when I try out multiplayer for the first time and get handed a bunch of diamond tools?!  Even one of those is very hard to get in singleplayer, and first impressions count for a lot.  If I was given iron tools instead, I won't of had that impression.

The gold-and-iron-block road sounded like a very good idea at the time, and was definitely worth building to see how it looked.  Okay, so it didn't turn out so well, and I failed at building it by not thinking I had enough room to make it go across without a skybridge of some sort.  (Widening the terrain simply did not occur to me at the time).  But from the experiment we got an actual road built.

For the longest period of time I thought this was a 'build only' server where you were just given all the materials you would want or need, and not have to worry about mining them.  And indeed, it really was just that for me for quite a while.  The multiplayer aspect of it really went a long way towards making it enjoyable (which is why I don't just go and play minecraft classic instead).

Unfortunately, It has become quite clear when I think about it that the problem lies with -me-, despite my best efforts to put together a honest attempt at helping out.  I guess I just don't sync up well with other players when it comes to building, and the limitations on communications that is a part of text chat + wooden signs probably just makes it worse.  These types of problems are going to just persist if I stay on the server, so therefore I think I will have to leave the server.  This is not a ragequit, just a simple observation.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
believe it or not, i DO thank you for keeping this in realm of arguing your point, so i will try to address the points in order

- your right, its a rookies mistake (guess what, we all make them) learn from it and all will be forgiven, dont learn and it wont be, its the same everywhere

- building the pvp arena was a suggestion, not an order     and an interesting one considering pvp isn't active on the server

- ya, giving you too much at the begining is our fault. we learned as did you, even if your lesson was quite a bit more harsh then ours

- ya.... that road did NOT look like how all 3 of us predicted it would     oops, but its fixed now

- giving materials isnt as easy as it would seem. for a normal OP, thats once per 64 items and alexheartnet is a long name with lots of potential typos (which is why we try to stick to shorter ones, we dont like giving ourselves crap either)

- this is a mind set, as such, not mine to fix

- we use an irc channel to convey long points because minecraft chat SUCKS

- your decision, i have made my points

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hehe... I don't even know on whos server I'm palying anymore. :lol:

No really... I'm not kidding.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Shade

We seem to have a stealth-griefer of some sort around. I've found signs placed in various locations with offensive text on them, the skeleton spawner under my house has been broken (I was planning to build a mob trap around that, for infinite arrows/bones :(), and someone had placed a pig spawner outside my house (possibly the one from my dungeon) creating massive amounts of pigs which would almost certainly make it impossible for even a regular mob grinder to work.

No actual destruction of property, but someone's going out of their way to cause offense in a manner not quickly or easily noticed or reverted. I'm particularly annoyed at the loss of the skeleton spawner - even if I had a mob spawner, I couldn't replace it, as any spawners placed by players only create pigs.

Would the server logs be able to show who did these things?

[Edit] And now I've just found that someone (same guy, presumably) has cut his way through part of my hedge maze and placed yet another pig spawner into the ground a short way inside it. I'm at a loss to explain how this is even possible, actually - As far as I know, there's no way of getting them for a regular player.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:38:31 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
TrashMan:

pece's is the one with the massive  herc, the other one has a huge rail system

Offline Shade

Well, qaz helped me get things sorted, so I got the holes in my maze patched and the spawner in my basement un-destructed. I be happy. Thanks for the help :)

Offline Micos

Dear alex...

You had joined us one day after pecenipicek put it in the thread.
At that time we was still setting some mods up and we still are setting things up, experimenting for the best. The very first mods we set up, so that you and our other player would have an easier start. YES, we did give you a lot of good tools and materials, becouse we wanted for you to enjoy and build things nicely.

We didnt want for you to be like  "oh hey, be carefull of monsters.. and yeh you need to do all things by your self with wooden tool's... good luck and respect rules etc".

That is also reason we are going to the trouble of building a town, so that new players can see we do care, and until they would be able to build by them self they can use one newcomer house in there. after, they can make there own town and connect it with our own with railroads.

Maybe it was a mistake to try to help you with an easy start. Every time you did't know what to do i was trying to help you. For example you didnt know what to build so i started to give you a few ideas what to build or you can go exploring... and what i got from you? "Nah, not in mood now. I'm off."  That was a big slap to the face.

About the pvp arena... Well i had seen that you wanna build something big. So i thought this would be jackpot for you. Why? All online games have some sort of pvp. And "Alex pvp arena" would be epic for you. It will be all made by you. With zone mod players who would like to pvp, THEY WILL HAVE TO USE YOUR ARENA. I'm so sorry for not seeing that you don't wonna build it.

I know that a thing with temple was a bit to much for vrga. but did you forget your house? The one with (only) your name on it. Yess that one, well the most part of that house was made by me. And when you upgrade it, i was like: "wow i would never come up with that!". so i said to you:" use that sign and put your name on it". I had never claimd my half part of it. Kyad was the one who finished the temple, and to respect to you he did't put his name on it.

Yes i got few signs but not on every building. Only big dragon and small air ship has my name on it.

I wish you good luck in future, it was nice to see you building (and me faceblocking on some of them).

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I have a mob trap of sorts to the west of Nethertown.  It's just a big dark room at the moment, with some wood on the floor from one of my hair brained ideas.  feel free to use and improve it.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Heh I remember that place. At first I was thinking "WTH is this place? o_o" Seems everyones working/has planned one kind of mob trap or the other.

We seem to have a stealth-griefer of some sort around.

I'm not sure if it's related, but somebody seems to be testing my attention to detail.  I found a blank sign on one of my basement walls the other day, and a block of cobble had been taken out of an interior ceiling of Heward's Handy Hovel today.  Minor stuff to be sure, but in the absense of explanation or context, I can't help but feel that someone is poking at my stuff to see when it's most vulnerable to a proper attack.

On the subject of context (segue!), I found my way past Dark Revenant's front yard today.  The giant swastika-sorry-"arboretum" looks as awful from ground-level as it does from the overhead map.  To this point, I was really trying to give the benefit of the doubt that there was some reason for it to have that shape, but there's just not.  I leave it to the server ops to decide what's to be done about that, but the structure is sticking out like a monument to the benefits of singleplayer gaming.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I trust your door/chests are locked with the /cprivate command?
If not, or if you want more info, take a look at this wiki page:
http://wiki.griefcraft.com/wiki/LWC/Commands

Also, make a note of what block it was, and when I pop on the server next time you're on, give me a shout and I should be able to use logblock to see what's going on.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I'm fine with removing it.  The only way I would allow you to do that, however, is with a massive pile of TNT.