Author Topic: Got wood for sheep? (Settlers of Catan)  (Read 1420 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Got wood for sheep? (Settlers of Catan)
Pardon the innuendo, anyone who's played this game will get it.

Any of you ever played Settlers of Catan and its various expansions?

Some friends of mine recently bought it so I played again this weekend for the first time in, oh, 3 years.  I started digging online and sure enough found a Settlers clone (open-Source) with bots and all the expansions.  Actually, I found two.

1.  Pioneers.  http://pio.sourceforge.net
2.  Sea3D, soon to be Cities3D.  http://www.s3dconnector.net

Pioneers doesn't require any registration and allows you to create games with bots only (though the AI isn't terribly brilliant).  Sea3D has a large community following and ladder, but no AI practice, and requires you to register (although you can do it through the program, so its probably the most painless online registration ever implemented).

Anyway, I've been toying with both and I was thinking if anyone around here was interested that maybe we could fire up a game sometime.  It supports up to as many as 8 players, or as few as 2 (though games are more fun with at least 3).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Inquisitor

Re: Got wood for sheep? (Settlers of Catan)
There is actually a version on the Xbox that is pretty good.
No signature.

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
Re: Got wood for sheep? (Settlers of Catan)
Recently discovered this game, thanks to the Xbox Live version. My whole family loves it and I introduce it to everyone I can and its always an instant hit. Im pretty pissed off about the timing though, a new edition is out and I cannot buy expansions matching my current set because the locals stores have all updated already.

Not really interested in playing online. The social factor is really big. Difficult to properly bargain and manipulate players without being face to face.