Author Topic: Release: 3.7.4 RC1  (Read 16274 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Happy Steve Austin month!  We're going to try to get 3.7.4 released soon as we have a lot of exciting features planned and waiting for it, not to mention the the numerous bug fixes and new features already in this release.  Try it out and report bugs as always.

Important!!
As always, you need OpenAL installed.  Linux and OS X come with it but Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer. Alternatively, if Creative's OpenAL doesn't work with your hardware, you can use OpenAL Soft.

Hidden Text: TrackIR Users • Show
Important!!
An external DLL is required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.  The following DLL is simply unpacked in to your main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror)

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)

Hidden Text: Alternative Launchers • Show
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Changelog:
  • Deferred Lighting and Shadows
  • Windows Voice Recognition no longer requires activating the Voice Recognition menu to function, it should now  'just work'.
  • Many more I've forgotten about

Known issues:

Windows
Compiled on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, MSVC Community 2015 Update 1

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

Hidden Text: Alternative builds • Show
If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
You can use freely available tools like CPU-Z to check which SSE capabilities your CPU has.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1_AVX.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the AVX Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1_SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1_NO-SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on OS X 10.11.3, Xcode 7.2.1 (Apple LLVM version cross-reference)

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1.dmg (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Hidden Text: Other Platforms, Source Code • Show
Ubuntu Linux 32-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS 32-bit, GCC 4.8.4
The Ubuntu builds are built and provided as a reference, and also because Ubuntu is a very common Desktop Linux distribution.  We usually recommend Linux users compile their own builds, but if you happen to be running 32-bit Ubuntu, or 64-bit Ubuntu with 32-bit libraries installed, these may work fine for you.  There have been reports of package managers maintaining FSO packages in various Linux distributions, if you plan to package an FSO release for a distribution please let use know and we will include a reference to it in our release posts.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

FreeBSD 64-bit (experimental, limited support)
Compiled on PCBSD 10.2 64-bit, clang 3.4.1
As FreeBSD is still a small player in the desktop space, but PC-BSD is becoming a much more user-friendly platform, we were able to get it reliably working with our build system.  The limited user base for these builds will likely keep them in the experimental realm, so if you do have any issues or successes with them, please report your experiences here.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC1.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Source Code Export (MD5)
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_src.tgz (Mirror) (Mirror)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:47:34 pm by chief1983 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No links posted to the AVX Builds I see.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah, it'd be nice to replace the SSE builds with AVX... and maybe ditch no-SSE completely.

Also be nice to see the Linux builds still in the main section  ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Finally \o/

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm, need to update it to link to the builds it actually uploaded I guess.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

After a break of a few years I decided to take a peek here.

Shadows, new effects and voice acting for Blue Planet?

I think I just died of happiness. Maybe there's no need for Freespace 3 after all. I think the Source Code Project has achieved 99% of perfection.

I had to force my resolution (1600x1200) with a custom flag, newest wxlauncher 0.10.1. Otherwise it would give me "old school" resolution :)

Words can't describe my happiness level right now :D Off to play ---->

Salute!

Offline m!m

I had to force my resolution (1600x1200) with a custom flag, newest wxlauncher 0.10.1. Otherwise it would give me "old school" resolution :)
Are you using Windows 10? I also have this issue but I am unable to track it down. It randomly stopped working for some reason this week (I think it happened after a Windows update).
Hopefully these kinds of issues will be fixed in the next release if I can get the new config system to work properly...

I use Windows 7.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Yeah, it'd be nice to replace the SSE builds with AVX... and maybe ditch no-SSE completely.
It doesn't make any difference anyway.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline m!m

I use Windows 7.
I was hoping that the issue was isolated to Windows 10 but apparently it isn't. I'll try to track it down and fix it.

Offline m!m

@Stugerman: I think I fixed the configuration error. Please try this build without specifying the resolution on the command line.

Enable Voice Recognition flag no longer works.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm, it should work, but we did update its functionality.  It no longer needs to fire up the Windows Voice Recognition interface, it should 'just work'.  Were you just expecting it to launch the menu, or does it not work at all in game?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

I stand corrected. I did a quick check and it seems to be working. Yes I was looking for the interface. Thanks for the reply

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No problem, we didn't really document that new functionality anywhere.  I'll make a note in the changelog area to avoid confusion for this release cycle.  I thought it was a pretty cool enhancement myself :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
we didn't really document that new functionality anywhere.
Well, outside of some forum threads most people didn't read, anyway... someone remind me to go over any wiki articles on voice recognition when I have a spare minute or two.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not even sure there are any, I think most people figured it out in the past via tribal knowledge or other forum threads.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I created an article about it ages ago, but that was just a copypasta of the original forum thread, and I haven't tried playing around with it in a very long time.

Offline g25

Great work! Any estimate on when you think the 3.7.4 final will be out? Also will there have to be a lot of changes to the MediaVPs/FSPort/other mods etc. that will hold up the process until everything else is compatible? Just curious. Thanks!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hopefully soon.  No real issues have been reported, there are a couple of bugfixes we may debate backporting from master to 3.7.4, but I'd like at least a couple weeks for the entire RC phase, before we go final, to give poeple a chance to run it through its paces.