Author Topic: Freespace FOV/Scale discussion  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Freespace FOV/Scale discussion
FS was designed to make the Capital ships look massive.
Got Ether?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Zeronet
FS was designed to make the Capital ships look massive.

Erm.... what do you mean by that? A 1.6 km Star Destroyer in X-Wing Allliance looks much more massive than a 2 km Orion in FS1/2.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Sandwich

Erm.... what do you mean by that? A 1.6 km Star Destroyer in X-Wing Allliance looks much more massive than a 2 km Orion in FS1/2.

the same was true for the very fast Xwing actually, w/o maps or anything :doubt:
let's unite to convince the SCP people working on the FOV :D I'm sure it can't be that difficult to change.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
A 5km ship in IWAR seems tiny though compared to a Orion.
Got Ether?

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Zeronet
A 5km ship in IWAR seems tiny though compared to a Orion.

That's probably because you zip past them at a few clicks per second...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Styxx

That's probably because you zip past them at a few clicks per second...

no, that's true, Iwar2 FOV is messed up as well, even if you stay still in front of a suposedly huge station, it reall looks small. Damn, have you seen the Tug size? fly past one of those: seems as big as a FS2 fighter. that's quite not right.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I-War has an even bigger FOV.

It's mostly a functional thing, a tradeoff between wase of playing and looks. After all, in real life a 2km capship would take up much more of your view at any given look, but in real life you can turn your head to see that wing of Maras locking on with Harpoons. Monitors, you can't do that, so they have to make the FOV wider- if it was anything like normal, you effectively wouldn't be able to see anything but what was right in front of you.

The I-War people decided they wanted to give you a bigger eyeful at a time, so the FOV's close to 45*. Volition wanted to make its capships look more impressive, but still wanted you to be able to tell what was going on to the sides a bit(the radar screen helped, but not a lot), and brought it down to- I'm guessing- near 20-25*.

So, it's really more complicated than just reducing the FOV. You've got to improve the radar display or add a rear-view camera or something to compensate.

but why ad a rear view cam, if you ca just buy a joystick with a POV hat?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
'Cause I'm not the only one here not gonna pay about $100 for some game equipment I'll hardly ever use.

You could make it keybound, too, I suppose, and have an independently moving head (or mouse freelook), but to do that you'd basically have to do the game from scratch. It's not built in, and not only is the render camera pretty integrally built (it being what the entire rest of the game hinges on), you'd have to change the physics, the way .pof files are made (different sort of camera, you might not even be able to use models with the old kind of view-camera info, meaning no models made before the source release), and probably a couple other things.

You COULD set your fighter to temporarily have some huge time-lag in turning, but it wouldn't really be a solution.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 03:07:30 pm by 262 »

i know it is't the sulution, but i'm not sure whter this needs fixing anyway, just a fiew views of pilots getting into they're fighters in the intro or in a cutscene should be enough.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not just the FOV that is throwing you off though. It's that the other ships in FS2 are so big.

The bombers especially are huge but since we equate them with modern day fighters we don`t realise that they are so big. Hell even the bombs are big (A helios is as long as an F16 and only a couple of meters shorter in height).

When you remember than an Ursa is longer than 5 Double Decker buses in length it becomes easy to see why people think that the ships in FS2 are small.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

yeah,someone should reallymake a few good size comparison things, so that you know how big these damn things are.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by StrykeIX
You could make it keybound, too, I suppose, and have an independently moving head (or mouse freelook), but to do that you'd basically have to do the game from scratch. It's not built in, and not only is the render camera pretty integrally built (it being what the entire rest of the game hinges on)...

there's already that, some key on the numeric pad ;)

Karajorma: no. of course not ( I mean the FOV thing, I know the ship are huge ig you compare to real life ). SImple exemple: run in the ass of an ursa ( no stupid pun thank you ). It's so huge, you should see a very small part of it. but know, you see almost all the damn thing. So the fov IS wrong. Plus according to what you say, the pb should be the other way around btw, people would look at them as too big, not too small.
Stryke9, I dunno ( of course ) how it works in FS2 , but in max, in the viewport, I can make a ship look gigantic and have at the same time a clear vision of everyting in the 90° in front of me :).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 04:04:29 pm by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by kasperl
someone should reallymake a few good size comparison things, so that you know how big these damn things are.

http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/beatspete/sizecompair.html

:nod:

...yes the ships look crap, but niether were textured, and Rhino is teh suck at texturing anyway.

Heh... Reminds me of parking my ship next to one of the houses in Frontier Ellite... those were the days :sigh:

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Nico

• Venom
that's not quite right, if the house is ten mùeters long and the fighter 40, yur fighter is way too big compared to it ( should be 4 times longer, not 6 or 7 ;) )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by StrykeIX
The I-War people decided they wanted to give you a bigger eyeful at a time, so the FOV's close to 45*. Volition wanted to make its capships look more impressive, but still wanted you to be able to tell what was going on to the sides a bit(the radar screen helped, but not a lot), and brought it down to- I'm guessing- near 20-25*.

So tell me, how in the world did people see anything in the Star Wars games? The ships seem sufficiently to-scale - ISDs actually look like 1.6 kilometer behemoths.

Originally posted by karajorma
When you remember than an Ursa is longer than 5 Double Decker buses in length it becomes easy to see why people think that the ships in FS2 are small.

Pardon me, but around here, double-decker buses aren't any longer than normal ones. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by kasperl
are you reffering to the entire class or just the GTC lonewolf?

:lol:

Originally posted by venom2506
***I have asked for that already, but to no end. It was the request number two on my list, as number one ( glow maps ) has just been fulfilled, well, there's hope maybe :)

When?  Bump it or start another thread. :nod:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
That cockpit is the size of the average living room. Maybe, in the future, the trend's gone on and Americans are so fat that they have bred into a race of giants?

Yeah, it'd not easily comparable, but that isn't really a problem in itself. Fighters and bombers SHOULD still be a good bit bigger than, say, a jet plane. There's a lot more equipment to fit in them. (engines, massive amounts of life support including oxy and water tanks, G-absorbers, weapons (rockets are kinda space-hogs, ya know? In fact, most game loadouts wouldn't actually even fit in the models in FS), fusion reactors, and enough heatsinks to absorb a level of heat at least as great as that of the sun. And armor.)

It takes away a reference, but that's more or less okay-  if you want the game to look more "real", which would be part of hte point here, you'll just have to live with it. Make a human or EVA model, if you like. The FOV, however, can be fixed without changing part of the game's atmosphere itself.

But I agree. Some cutscenes giving a sense of scale would be good. If anyone'd ever send me their Poser models or something, *cough* there might just be one.

Nope, they are to scale, i just checked and its 42m -  it just looked big because of the perspective.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
If that house is 10x5, that cockpit is roughly 3m long and at least 1m tall. A meter's about three feet, last I checked. If that's to scale, then the scale's wrong. That bomber should be half the size. It's NOT perspective, the bomber and the house are side-by-side, nearly identical distances in the image.