Author Topic: Pegasus broken in multiplay for sure  (Read 5132 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Pegasus broken in multiplay for sure
it has to be a mission flag since command lines may not match if you are playing a multiplayer game.  granted it shouldn't be too hard to get around it, but it would be much easier to have the missions designed with a certain AI in mind.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
@Goober
I don't think that using -options in the launcher is the right way to solve this - things like such fundamental AI behaviour and no-beam-pierce (like CP already said) shouldn't be something decided by the player since it unbalances missions radically, compared to options that only change the visual stuff
If it's left to the mission designer, flags in Fred2 should handle this quite well - similar to lets say the different tables used for Dogfight missions right now

edited: fully agree with PhReAk here... yeah! :)

@Inquisitor
I just roar too sometimes, mostly when someone jumps on my toes... I hope no one takes that personally as well ;)
Cheers! From Vet to Vet, hehe
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 10:48:04 am by 556 »
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I was thinking, why not hard code something like the following into the AI:

If (shiphitpoints <= a certain amount)
then do not use Trebuchets

Is it a reasonable idea?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ugh.  No.

Hardcoding anything is a bad idea.

Offline Tepa

• http://www.darkwing-squad.com
since we moved talk from pegasus stealth's to missiles could mention harpoons home like **** atleast when player fires em they just go tro AI's specially  againts shivan and vasudan crafts while AIs got em again lethal.
Ensign forever
DW-Tepanator
I need to fill my inflated EGO can someone lend me a pump.

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Originally posted by Cetanu
Missiles either work are are completely useless - while AI kills me with 2 Harps almost every time, I waste 8 on one Seraphis and hopefully 2 of them do some damage (my missiles hit in that case - I don't count all the evaded)

is already mentioned on my list on page 1 ;)
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
come to think of it, I have noticed that a little too. Did you guys change the homing system?

Offline tom

Last days I tested some multi missions and my conclusions do not differ much from those who already posted here.

In general the gameplay isn't the same as in V FS2, however I wouldn't describe all the strange events as bugs or bad improvements.

As mentioned above, some of them cause different gameplay and have incredible influence on some missions.

- First expierence (in "Breaking the Seal", a mission by Cet) was a slight touch by a Deimos to my Ares at mission start. Result: hull damage 100%. And I thought Ares isn't made of paper.

- Often a lot of secondaries are necessary to kill one hostile fighter. For instance 10 Trebs for a Basilisk (all of them direct hits), an entire bank of Harpoons for a Mara (most of them hit).

- I also noticed AI are more dangerous than in V FS2. This and the "Treb feature" (or better a feature changed to a bug) have bad influence on game balance.

I guess many new improvements are tested in singleplayer missions, but they have great effect in multiplyer missions. Some missions are not lost, they are LOST. Imagine you are in a multi mission and don't have best connection, in some cases you would give up to play that mission anymore.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, that's enough complaining.  We know what the problem is, thanks to Phreak, and we know how to go about fixing it.  We'll investigate this ourselves and post an update announcement when we decide what to do.  Until this gets resolved, any multi threads that develop a hostile tone will be locked.